2018 Draft Chatter

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hard to get a feel for this draft right now.

Some thinks

-WR class isnt great at the top, but it seems deep. We could get a better quality prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round than you could most years.

- Im wondering about taking Harrison, playing Rhodes at FS and Jones at CB

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Orowonko in the second or third rounds. I think he is going to be a player.
I think you are right. He probably doesn't fit well with how Rod Marinelli likes to run the defense, but he is going to make an NFL squad and do well. He has the most drive of any player I have ever watched. Go back and watch the OU/Texas game in 2017. He never gives up. Had Mike Stoops resisted the urge to drop him so much in coverage and allowed him to go after the QB, he would have played even more havoc.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
what is truly amazing to me about the draft is that every year there are over 80,000 college football players and less than five are truly difference makers available when drafted. you would think that number should be a lot higher just by percentages.

cowboyec

Reaction score
amazing to watch the rise of Isaiah Wynn,OL-Ga and Will Hernandez,OG-Utep...from 2nd Rd possibilities to #19 discussions.
and we still got the combine yet.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what is truly amazing to me about the draft is that every year there are over 80,000 college football players and less than five are truly difference makers available when drafted. you would think that number should be a lot higher just by percentages.

Huh?

Prime21

Reaction score
amazing to watch the rise of Isaiah Wynn,OL-Ga and Will Hernandez,OG-Utep...from 2nd Rd possibilities to #19 discussions.

If they lift well at the combine they will get more Larry Allen comparisons than Larry Allen Jr.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Reason why is...there isn't walk in starters after them. Supply and demand.;)

cowboyec

Reaction score
DT to consider after Rd 1.....Nathan Shepherd,Fort Hays St....6-5/300.....we got a good one years ago from Emporia St...Leon Lett....maybe this guy will be our DT.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think you are right. He probably doesn't fit well with how Rod Marinelli likes to run the defense, but he is going to make an NFL squad and do well. He has the most drive of any player I have ever watched. Go back and watch the OU/Texas game in 2017. He never gives up. Had Mike Stoops resisted the urge to drop him so much in coverage and allowed him to go after the QB, he would have played even more havoc.

I'd be fully on board with bringing him on.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I'd be fully on board with bringing him on.

At this point I’d ask Rod to tell me which guys he likes at DT and then cross them off as soon as he’s done talking. Then I start looking at the guys still there when we pick. Rod thinks every screw can be turned with a slotted screwdriver ...... you need either a Phillips or a Torx every now and then.

Pants

Reaction score
Next set of important dates once the game is done today (this game is dead to me)

February 5: Waiver system begins for 2018.
February 13: Beginning at noon ET, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2017 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2018 season or who have an option for the 2018 season are not eligible to be signed.
February 20: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
February 27-March 5: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.

March
March 6: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
March 12-14: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET, on March 14. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET, on March 14.
March 14: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2018 on all players who have option clauses in their 2017 contracts.
March 14: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.
March 14: Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2017 contracts who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.
March 14: Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the 2018 salary cap prior to 4 p.m. ET.
March 14: All 2017 player contracts will expire at 4 p.m. ET.
March 14: The 2018 league year and free agency period begin at 4 p.m. ET. The first day of the 2018 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. ET, on March 14. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4 p.m. ET and 11:59:59 p.m. ET, on March 14.
March 14: Trading period for 2018 begins at 4 p.m. ET, after expiration of all 2017 contracts.