2018 Draft Chatter

RS12

Reaction score

Ridley knows his craft and is slippery but besides being thin, he isnt particularly SPARQY. As far as the guards falling, we better hope so, because we got a hole there and I am starting to think 19 and 50 are going for a WR and Earl Thomas. Oh and please let somebody else have Kolton Miller.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Defensive linemen are always highly sought after during the draft, but the crop this year is below-average. There are still some bargains to be found late in Round 1 and on the final day.

My affection for Da'Ron Payne is well-known, as I believe he’s the most underrated defender in this year’s draft, bar none. I reached out to see why teams do not rank Payne as an early first-round pick.

I’m told most teams love Payne the player as well as Payne the person but feel he’s a two-down defender and not much of a pass rusher, which is the reason Payne is not rated as a top-10 prospect by scouts.

It’s a criticism I would agree with, as we described Payne as a “small-area lineman” in our scouting report. He still makes such a big impact, much of which isn’t found on the stat sheet, that I stand by my belief that Payne is underrated and will turn into one of the better defenders from this draft two or three years down the line.

One defensive lineman sneaking up draft boards is Bilal Nichols of Delaware. We presently grade Nichols as a sixth-round prospect, but he could sneak into the fourth round. Nichols had a solid week of practice for the Shrine Game and turned in a terrific combine performance.

Teams feel that Nichols not only offers potential at defensive tackle but could also line up as a two-gap end. The small-school prospect has had individual workouts with the Baltimore Ravens, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts. Nichols will be on an official visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers tomorrow. As we noted during the combinethe New York Jets had also shown a lot of interest in Nichols.

We’ve written about Jullian Taylor numerous times the past three weeks, and it appears the Temple senior is a lock to be drafted. Taylor was not graded by scouts entering the season and was not invited to the combine but now grades as a solid last-day pick.

Taylor has been a very busy man the past few weeks and will be busy through next week’s deadline for official visits. The sleeper lineman worked out for the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday and has official visits with the Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons and Tennessee Titans coming up this week.

As I posted on Twitter, Taylor worked out for the New York Jets on Friday along with UConn’s Folorunso Fatukasi. The workout took place at the Jets’ facility and was part of the local visits allowed by the league. Mike Maccagnan, Todd Bowles and additional top brass from the Jets organization made sure to be on hand to view the workout.

Keep an eye on Bruce Hector, South Florida's other dfesnive tackle. He's a legitimate defensive tackle with an underrated game. During Shrine Game practices I breifly mentioned a conversation I had with Deadrin Senat about his teammate. I'm told Hector is receiving a lot of interest from the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers.

From tony pauline

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm putting together my own mock and Nichols was a guy I considered but ended up going another direction. He's an interesting prospect. I agree though that the defensive linemen overall in this draft are subpar. Especially the edge guys. Very weak group.

Just be glad we got Taco and Tapper when we did.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm putting together my own mock and Nichols was a guy I considered but ended up going another direction. He's an interesting prospect. I agree though that the defensive linemen overall in this draft are subpar. Especially the edge guys. Very weak group.

Just be glad we got Taco and Tapper when we did.

Lol I can't wait for the annual Tapper is our secret weapon off season thread

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFLDraftScout.com Dane Brugler senior analyst Dane Brugler ranks his top three wide receivers for the NFL Draft as Alabama’s Calvin Ridley, Maryland’s D.J. Moore and Memphis’ Anthony Miller.

Brugler ranks Ridley as No. 11 on his latest Big Board, with Moore at 14 and Miller at 36.

Somebody on Twitter asked him a more nuanced question, though: Which receivers in the draft are the best route runners?

His answer:

1. Ridley.
2. Penn State’s DeaSean Hamilton.
3. Colorado State’s Michael Gallup.

In Brugler’s 7-round mock draft, he has Hamilton going 95th overall to the New England Patriots near the end of the third round. He pegs Gallup as being selected 79th by the Arizona Cardinals.

Here is Brugler’s analysis of his top three route runners from his 2018 NFL Draft Guide, which is available for purchase and download:

On Ridley:
“Dynamic and detailed route runner, creating his own separation. … Every route looks the same off the line of scrimmage, setting up defenders with body language and multiple gears. … Explosive plant-and-go athlete at the stem, accelerating with burst off his plant foot to not only maintain his speed, but increase his pace.”

On Hamilton:
“Crafty route-runner with subtle tempo to leverage patterns. Evades at the line of scrimmage with assorted release moves. Understands route depth and works his way to open spaces. Coordinated feet and stem-shake to separate. … Overall, Hamilton doesn’t have noteworthy size, strength or speed and needs to be more consistent finishing catches, but his route savvy and “always available” approach make him a quarterback’s best friend in the Doug Baldwin mold.”

On Gallup:
“Detailed route-runner and each step has a purpose. … Comfortable with a diverse route tree. … Transitions his momentum in/out of cuts to maintain speed on posts/corner routes. … Makes mid-patterns adjustments based on coverage reads. … Overall, there isn’t much that distinguishes Gallup from a size/speed standpoint, but he is reliable and understands how to get the most out of his skill-set, which will translate well to the NFL game.”

http://nfldraftscout.com/brugler-top-3-route-runners-in-nfl-draft-are/

-

And they are 3 of my favorite WRs in this draft.

Bigdog

Reaction score
NFLDraftScout.com Dane Brugler senior analyst Dane Brugler ranks his top three wide receivers for the NFL Draft as Alabama’s Calvin Ridley, Maryland’s D.J. Moore and Memphis’ Anthony Miller.

Brugler ranks Ridley as No. 11 on his latest Big Board, with Moore at 14 and Miller at 36.

Somebody on Twitter asked him a more nuanced question, though: Which receivers in the draft are the best route runners?

His answer:

1. Ridley.

In Brugler’s 7-round mock draft, he has Hamilton going 95th overall to the New England Patriots near the end of the third round. He pegs Gallup as being selected 79th by the Arizona Cardinals.

Here is Brugler’s analysis of his top three route runners from his 2018 NFL Draft Guide, which is available for purchase and download:

On Ridley:
“Dynamic and detailed route runner, creating his own separation. … Every route looks the same off the line of scrimmage, setting up defenders with body language and multiple gears. … Explosive plant-and-go athlete at the stem, accelerating with burst off his plant foot to not only maintain his speed, but increase his pace.”

On Hamilton:
“Crafty route-runner with subtle tempo to leverage patterns. Evades at the line of scrimmage with assorted release moves. Understands route depth and works his way to open spaces. Coordinated feet and stem-shake to separate. … Overall, Hamilton doesn’t have noteworthy size, strength or speed and needs to be more consistent finishing catches, but his route savvy and “always available” approach make him a quarterback’s best friend in the Doug Baldwin mold.”

On Gallup:
“Detailed route-runner and each step has a purpose. … Comfortable with a diverse route tree. … Transitions his momentum in/out of cuts to maintain speed on posts/corner routes. … Makes mid-patterns adjustments based on coverage reads. … Overall, there isn’t much that distinguishes Gallup from a size/speed standpoint, but he is reliable and understands how to get the most out of his skill-set, which will translate well to the NFL game.”

-

I will take Gallup or Hamilton in the 4th if they last that long.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the award for worst Cowboys mock this year goes to Frank Coyle of DraftInsiders.com

I have no link because this is from his draft yearbook I purchase every year and I'm willing to risk Frank seeing this and black balling me because you guys are my bros.

He completed this today. So after the Dez cut.

1(19) D.J. Moore WR Maryland
2(50) Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma
3(81) Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida St.
4(116) Simmie Cobbs WR Indiana
4(137) Jayln Holmes DE Ohio St.
5(171) Chad Thomas DE Miami
6(192) Nic Shimonek QB Texas Tech
6(193) Mike McCray LB Michigan
6(208) Kentavius Street DE North Carolina St. (actually lists him as Kentavius Strong)
7(236) Skai Moore LB South Carolina

-

The old man had too much wine.

DFWJC

Reaction score

His answer:

1. Ridley.

On Ridley:

On Hamilton:

On Gallup:

-

Good stuff.

Have to say that I'm surprised he didnt include Pettis in his top 3 pure route runners.
Hamilton hasn't been getti png the love he deserves.
So many WRs rounds 2-4

cnuball21

Reaction score
Good stuff.

Have to say that I'm surprised he didnt include Pettis in his top 3 pure route runners.
Hamilton hasn't been getti png the love he deserves.
So many WRs rounds 2-4

Pettis and Cedrik Wilson get good reports on their route running, and are 2 dudes I love as mid round options.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And the award for worst Cowboys mock this year goes to Frank Coyle of DraftInsiders.com

I have no link because this is from his draft yearbook I purchase every year and I'm willing to risk Frank seeing this and black balling me because you guys are my bros.

He completed this today. So after the Dez cut.

1(19) D.J. Moore WR Maryland
2(50) Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma
3(81) Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida St.
4(116) Simmie Cobbs WR Indiana
4(137) Jayln Holmes DE Ohio St.
5(171) Chad Thomas DE Miami
6(192) Nic Shimonek QB Texas Tech
6(193) Mike McCray LB Michigan
6(208) Kentavius Street DE North Carolina St. (actually lists him as Kentavius Strong)
7(236) Skai Moore LB South Carolina

-

The old man had too much wine.

It’s the CB in the third that tipped it from bad to worst isn’t it?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This would be so Cleveland.

It's almost a reason why i think they should not draft a QB this year.

Get Chubbs to pair with Garrett for what should be a heck of a DE tandem and get either the RB or Nelson.

Because if there is a way to screw up and take the wrong QB in a draft...Cleveland will find a way to do it.