2019 College Football Thread

DFWJC

Reaction score

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Assuming Oregon can run the table and win the Pac 12 title then I think the committee would give that more weight than Alabama beating Auburn.

CFP rankings are updated today at 4 PM PDT which will let us know how they feel about Alabama's loss.

Why? Auburn would have already beaten the pac 10 champ in your scenerio...... Alabama and Oregon have the same record. The committee has Alabama in front of them. If both teams win out, not sure why that would change.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Bama sitting at #5 really has to hope for some losses. Unfortunately for them even if LSU loses they’ll likely still be ahead of Bama. So they need Clemson, OSU, Oregon, Baylor, etc to lose. If not they probably won’t be in the CFP.

Ghost12

Reaction score
It actually is true. Alabama won the 2017-18 national title and were not the SEC champs. The team record is obviously the main criteria. The main tie breaker is strength of schedule not conference championship.
You can keep saying it but that don't make it true. History has shown that if you don't win your conference, you better have fewer losses than everyone else.
If it comes down to Oregon and Alabama for the 4th spot, the ducks conference title will mean nothing. Alabama will edge them out on strength of schedule and don't discount that Auburn game.
I got some bad news for ya, buddy: Oregon has a tougher strength of schedule than Alabama according to most (key word: most) computer polls, and it will only move more towards Oregon's favor after they play Utah. So don't hang your hat on SOS. Alabama's schedule was a joke this year.

If they had any other name besides "Alabama" they'd be lucky to be in the top 10 right now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can keep saying it but that don't make it true. History has shown that if you don't win your conference, you better have fewer losses than everyone else.
I got some bad news for ya, buddy: Oregon has a tougher strength of schedule than Alabama according to most (key word: most) computer polls, and it will only move more towards Oregon's favor after they play Utah. So don't hang your hat on SOS. Alabama's schedule was a joke this year.

If they had any other name besides "Alabama" they'd be lucky to be in the top 10 right now.

Conference champion is not a criteria. Thats just a fact, You can think whatever you want.

DFWJC

Reaction score
A lot of squabbling about Alabama, pro and con.
Still plenty of football to be played.

But, fwiw, if Tua is healthy, I do think they are a top 4 team. Having said that, I don't care either way if they make it or not.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Conference champion is not a criteria. Thats just a fact, You can think whatever you want.
Sorry not sorry, but yes it is. Here is the official wording on how they select:

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

• Championships won
  • Strength of schedule
  • Head‐to‐head competition (if it occurred)
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)
Please note “championship won” is at the top. Also, as I have already stated 3 times, history has shown that if you don’t win your conference, you better have fewer losses than everyone else or you’re out.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sorry not sorry, but yes it is. Here is the official wording on how they select:

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

• Championships won
    • Strength of schedule
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)
Please note “championship won” is at the top. Also, as I have already stated 3 times, history has shown that if you don’t win your conference, you better have fewer losses than everyone else or you’re out.
Yes, the specifically stated last year that Championships get priority.
Don't know about before then

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• Championships won
    • Strength of schedule

It says nothing about the order. Obviously if conference titles mattered more than SOS, UCF would have been in the 2017 playoff instead of Alabama.

The fact of the matter is that the committee does not have a formula that makes predicting their decision obvious. What you have listed here are the kinds of things they consider not the order of importance. The committee in the end just picks the 4 teams they think are the best. They are not beholden to any rules or criteria.

Oregon/Utah/ Alabama is going to be a moot point anyway when UGA beats LSU in Atlanta. You think LSU is dropping out of the top 4 with 1 loss? Never gonna happen.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score
It says nothing about the order. Obviously if conference titles mattered more than SOS, UCF would have been in the 2017 playoff instead of Alabama.
Gimme a break. It’s obvious to anyone with a brain we’re talking power 5 and Notre Dame here.

Lame excuse making.
The fact of the matter is that the committee does not have a formula that makes predicting their decision obvious. What you have listed here are the kinds of things they consider not the order of importance.
What I have done is told you exactly how the committee has behaved historically. You can choose to learn your history or you can choose to ignore it.

DFWJC

Reaction score

The fact of the matter is that the committee does not have a formula that makes predicting their decision obvious. What you have listed here are the kinds of things they consider not the order of importance. The committee in the end just picks the 4 teams they think are the best. They are not beholden to any rules or criteria.

Oregon/Utah/ Alabama is going to be a moot point anyway when UGA beats LSU in Atlanta. You think LSU is dropping out of the top 4 with 1 loss? Never gonna happen.
I'm sure it's a narrow criteria regarding championships, but they did say specifically that they are a priorty.

Obviously, that means if two teams are very near equal in their minds (so not remotely something like UCF and Bama in 2017) then the champion might get the nod--all else almost equal.
Same goes for SOS.

Take a 12-1 champion and a 11-1 team with similar SOS--say 11-1 is 20th SOS and the 12-1 champion is 30th SOS--my guess is that almost for sure the champion would get in.

Now if the SOS is something like 5th vs 55th....well, the championship is not going to be enough

Nobody is leaping over LSU, for example.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gimme a break. It’s obvious to anyone with a brain we’re talking power 5 and Notre Dame here.

Lame excuse making.
What I have done is told you exactly how the committee has behaved historically. You can choose to learn your history or you can choose to ignore it.

Historically, they've chosen the 4 best teams in college football as they see it. If UGA beats LSU, i'm gonna pull this up and laugh at you b/c the pac 10 champ isn't going to leap over a 1 loss LSU.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure it's a narrow criteria regarding championships, but they did say specifically that they are a priorty.

Obviously, that means if two teams are very near equal in their minds (so not remotely something like UCF and Bama in 2017) then the champion might get the nod--all else almost equal.
Same goes for SOS.

Take a 12-1 champion and a 11-1 team with similar SOS--say 11-1 is 20th SOS and the 12-1 champion is 30th SOS--my guess is that almost for sure the champion would get in.

Now if the SOS is something like 5th vs 55th....well, the championship is not going to be enough

The committee has already spoken about where they think Alabama is relative to Utah and Oregon. I don't know why those 2 playing each other would change anything. Its an unfortunate thing for the Pac 12 that Oregon lost to Auburn who could end up with as many as 4 losses after they play UGA and Bama. ........ That doesn't speak well for the conference. Common opponents is listed as something the committee considers.......not in the pac-10's favor.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The committee has already spoken about where they think Alabama is relative to Utah and Oregon. I don't know why those 2 playing each other would change anything. Its an unfortunate thing for the Pac 12 that Oregon lost to Auburn who could end up with as many as 4 losses after they play UGA and Bama. ........ That doesn't speak well for the conference. Common opponents is listed as something the committee considers.......not in the pac-10's favor.
Very true

Ghost12

Reaction score
The committee has already spoken about where they think Alabama is relative to Utah and Oregon.
There are plenty of examples of teams leapfrogging over other teams following CCG weekend when one wins and the other doesn't play so please don't be foolish enough to thin what the committee said on November 11 is the final word.