2019 College Football Thread

DFWJC

Reaction score
What a game at Jerry World
Auburn took their first lead of the game with seconds remaining to beat Oregon.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What a collapse by Florida State
Boise State has now scored 23 straight to take a 36-31 lea in the 4th
:muttley:

Boise looks like they have a legitimate QB and he's a true freshman. Florida grasped defeat from the jaws of victory, but Boise's QB played a hell of game. Unlike previous Boise QBs who had to try to muscle everything, this guy has a respectable arm. He took some huge hits and kept his composure. He has no business being in he Mountain West. While he had offers from major programs, if he were 2 inches taller there wouldn't be a chance in hell that he's in Boise.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Now we’re talking

Man, that’s early in the year for for one of those to take an L.

It is DFW. I was surprised when I saw that game scheduled as well. I mean, you take an L there and your opportunity for a NC run is probably over.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It is DFW. I was surprised when I saw that game scheduled as well. I mean, you take an L there and your opportunity for a NC run is probably over.
Naw, early losses to top 10 teams are basically free plays.

Only real issue would be if you tied in coference at 1 loss each then the 2 losses could derail you.

It is a big game for the conferences as the SEC REALLY needs that win given he poor showing last week and the Big 12 is badly in need of marquee wins.
But all in all no one will right off a tip 10 team for 1 loss.
Those are the exact kinds of teams that play in the CFP.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't want to mention it earlier with a WVU fan here, but an always dangerous lower level team --James Madison--is giving the Mounties all they can handle and more

Too bad WVU won. ;)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Big 12 was 10-0. They gave up an average of 18.5 PPG.
The conference is much better defensively.
I'll take your word for it , jt.

However
Depending on the matchups, most or all major conferences would've gone 10-0 with that slate.
The opponents:

1. Arkansas-Pine Bluff
  2. Nichols
  3. Stephen F Austin
  4. Montana State
  5. Indiana St
  6. Northern Iowa (not horrible but still, 3 OT vs Iowa St though?)
  7. La Tech (great showing by Texas. LT is not as putrid as that score)
  8. James Madison (formerly strong FCS program played WVU strong)
  9. Oregon State (worst Pac12 team with 1 D-1 win last year but scored 36 anyway)
  10. Houston (a top 4 American team, so respectable)

The hardest team was Houston--probably a top 50 team--but they played at OU--possibly the best B12 team. Who gave up 31 points anyway.

I'll take the high road and believe you if you say the Big12 defesnes are getting better
I wouldn't, however, use he first week of unimagibably easy games to determine that.

Next week's slate at least has two tougher games; Texas' ballsy game vs LSU and WVU's game vs a not terrible Missouri.

Looking forward to a great season

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Naw, early losses to top 10 teams are basically free plays.

Only real issue would be if you tied in coference at 1 loss each then the 2 losses could derail you.

It is a big game for the conferences as the SEC REALLY needs that win given he poor showing last week and the Big 12 is badly in need of marquee wins.
But all in all no one will right off a tip 10 team for 1 loss.
Those are the exact kinds of teams that play in the CFP.

Wow, is there anything you won't argue about? Simple question, you see LSU going unbeaten the rest of the way in the SEC if they lose next week? Do you see Texas going unbeaten if they lose to LSU? Do you see either of these teams winning a NC with two losses?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL seems to be going towards the college spread more the other way around.
They'll find a balance

Folks just do what works. There is no offensive dogma. Most pro teams still want a pro style offense to protect their QB. Arizona will be the big experiment. Kyler Murray is basically going to be running a college offense. If they have success, other teams will copy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Folks just do what works. There is no offensive dogma. Most pro teams still want a pro style offense to protect their QB. Arizona will be the big experiment. Kyler Murray is basically going to be running a college offense. If they have success, other teams will copy.
I think a lot of the NFL offenses have pulled college ideas into their schemes.
Certainly to name a few, KC, Carolina, and Philly. But also just in general, a ton of teams run RPO at least occasionally now. At the very least, many spread it out in the passing game as well.