2019 NFL Draft Chatter

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Another (college)linebacker/(NFL)safety hybrid who might declare is Clemson's Isaiah Simmons. 6'2" and 230 lbs, he's a redshirt sophomore who has put up big numbers this year for the Tigers defense. Spent his redshirt year as a long jumper for Clemson's track and field team (he was a two-time state champion in high school). You have to think he checks Will McClay's "athlete" box.
636479717499807509-1203-Clemson-Miami-ACC-extras-26.JPG

He’s fun to watch. Saw him in Clemson’s playoff game this past weekend knockdown a pass in coverage (wondered why he didn’t try to catch it?). Intriguing guy.

Carson

Reaction score
He’s fun to watch. Saw him in Clemson’s playoff game this past weekend knockdown a pass in coverage (wondered why he didn’t try to catch it?). Intriguing guy.

Field position. Smart play to make. If he picks that and is tackled they lose yardage

Carson

Reaction score
Another (college)linebacker/(NFL)safety hybrid who might declare is Clemson's Isaiah Simmons. 6'2" and 230 lbs, he's a redshirt sophomore who has put up big numbers this year for the Tigers defense. Spent his redshirt year as a long jumper for Clemson's track and field team (he was a two-time state champion in high school). You have to think he checks Will McClay's "athlete" box.
636479717499807509-1203-Clemson-Miami-ACC-extras-26.JPG

I would love to get him (or any Clemson guy for that matter) but I don’t think he last until the end of the 2nd round

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
A lot of good prospects to watch during the Miss. St. vs. Iowa game.

Miss. State DT Jeffery Simmons Jr. (#94) is a guy I really like.

Obviously, Iowa is well stocked with intriguing TE prospects in Fant (#87) and Hockenson (#38).

Simmons Jr. is really intriguing to me as a 3-tech.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A lot of good prospects to watch during the Miss. St. vs. Iowa game.

Miss. State DT Jeffery Simmons Jr. (#94) is a guy I really like.

Obviously, Iowa is well stocked with intriguing TE prospects in Fant (#87) and Hockenson (#38).

Simmons Jr. is really intriguing to me as a 3-tech.

Agreed. Miss State also has DE Montez Sweat and one of this year's better safeties, Johnathan Abram. Iowa has my dream Cowboys pick in Hockenson, as well as 6'7" DE Anthony Nelson. Fant is sitting out the bowl game unfortunately.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Field position. Smart play to make. If he picks that and is tackled they lose yardage

If he makes the pick it turns the ball over and doesn’t provide the opposing team an opportunity to make a play. I’d understand it more if that was on 3rd down (I don’t believe it was). Outside of very specific circumstances (i.e. desperation bomb on 4th down), I’ll always take the possession over field position.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They all can't not last til the 2nd round. Someone that can hero us will be there with that 2nd round pick.

Yeah, I see Simmons as more of a development prospect rather than a Day 1 starter type. He’s a mid-round guy to me (i.e. 3rd-5th).

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Yeah, I see Simmons as more of a development prospect rather than a Day 1 starter type. He’s a mid-round guy to me (i.e. 3rd-5th).
I think Simmons goes 1st round, no later than 2nd. NFL scouts are high on him. If he somehow last til our pick, he's a day one starter for us IMO.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Agreed. Miss State also has DE Montez Sweat and one of this year's better safeties, Johnathan Abram. Iowa has my dream Cowboys pick in Hockenson, as well as 6'7" DE Anthony Nelson. Fant is sitting out the bowl game unfortunately.
Dang, I forgot my top center, Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Love to get him especially if Fredbear can’t make it back. Plus I heard he was very versatile along the line.
Yep, he has started at every position on the O line for the Bulldogs except right guard, and I believe he still played some snaps there.

cowboyec

Reaction score
some players I like...
°Austin Bryant,DE-Clemson
°Rashard Lawrence,DT-Lsu
°Khleke Hudson,S-Michigan
°Demarcus Christmas,DT-Fsu
°Kendel Blanton,TE-Mizzou

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm born and raised southern California so the Rose Bowl is a must-watch every year for me, even when my beloved Trojans are nowhere near playing in it.

There's 4 guys in today's Rose Bowl that I like for the Cowboys (with that second round pick in mind):

Ohio State
Michael Jordan, Center, 6'7" 312 lbs,
Jordan has started at center, guard, and tackle for the Buckeyes. He was a highly recruited kid (4-star) out of Michigan.
michael-jordan-0fa99f56b375dabb.jpg

Kendall Sheffield, Cornerback, 6'0" 193. Sheffield is a personal favorite of mine and checks a lot of boxes for me. Ohio State has done a great job of preparing defensive backs for the league, he gets his hands on a lot of balls (16 PBU's the last two years), he's fast (broke the Ohio State’s 60-meter dash record with a time of 6.663), and has good size. Plus, as a junior college coach, I'm always excited to see JuCo guys produce at the D1 level.
24140295-standard.jpg

Washington
Byron Murphy, Cornerback, 5'11", 182.
Another CB? Yes. One, the NFL is a passing league so you need to add talented corners whenever you can. Two, Anthony Brown has played decent the last few weeks, but is still a penalty waiting to happen. If you can upgrade from him, you should. I've watched Byron since he was a freshman in high school and he's always been the most talented kid on the field. Personally, I think he's a 1st rounder, but the NFL Draft advisory board just gave him a 2nd round grade.
99d5be24-e986-414e-a9ca-0fbeece28e3b-AP18266219252591.jpg

Taylor Rapp, Safety, 6'0", 200. He isn't the dynamic athlete I prefer in a safety but he's always around the ball and is a quarterback of the secondary (think Darren Woodson). He has started 36 games in his three years in Seattle and has 171 tackles, 7 sacks, 7 INT, and 14 passes defended for the Huskies. He earned 1st team All-American honors this year, as well as back-to-back All-Pac 12 1st team honors, and was the Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2016.

TaylorRapp.jpg

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
One of the interesting stories of the draft will be if Hawkins ends up a Giant or Jag. He’s the only QB worth a one IMO and neither team will have the cap room to get a QB in FA.

Jags could very well pull a shocker and offload Ramsey or Fournette to move up.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
One of the interesting stories of the draft will be if Hawkins ends up a Giant or Jag. He’s the only QB worth a one IMO and neither team will have the cap room to get a QB in FA.

Jags could very well pull a shocker and offload Ramsey or Fournette to move up.

The Cardinals are hoping like heck they can get someone to bite and jump up for that #1 pick for Haskins. It's really rare that the bottom 5 teams don't really need a QB. Keep an eye on Denver, Elway isn't afraid to make a move. The Raiders could be a wildcards at pick #4. Mayock and Gruden will be interesting on draft day.