2019 Potential FA QBs to Replace Dak

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Bridgewater and Foles stand out as the most upside potential to me. I just don't think the front office will pull the trigger. They're still bought in on getting one more year out of a 600K backup QB.

Well even better they have a $700k aversage starting QB. Doesnt get much better than that.
Outside of $5Mish for top tier QBs like Mahomes

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
1 guy on that list I'd prefer over Dak and that is Bridgewater who will command crazy dollars.

Carr with a better OL and Cooper did nothing the past 2 years. So no thanks.

4-5 are simply back ups. Taylor, Osweiler. McCown, Fitzpatrick
3-4 are low end starters with less upside, leadership and value than Dak. Flacco, Carr, Foles, Tannehill

Winston is a still raw talent with zero leadership skills and doesn't seem to be a very good dude.

When it is hard to upgrade from your player, that's a good problem to have.
It means there is much worse out there.

Reaction score
And Cam Newton is a great example of that. The year they won the Super Bowl it looked like he had turned it around and beat that old adage. In retrospect though he just had a season where everything fell into place. Every year since then he has regressed to what he always was, inaccurate.

I know because I told my buddies when he came into the draft and I quote "Sure he's a physical freak who can run and has a cannon for an arm, he's too inaccurate though and you can't teach accuracy" So you can imagine the grief I got when he wont the superbowl and had a great year in terms of TD to interceptions. As you know though the biggest difference between him and Dak is the ability to get the ball downfield and willingness to wing it.
Sure I did.

So if it's not the OC nor the QB then who's fault is it?

Well we are back to square one then ;) I explained why I think it's Dak.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
None of those would improve the QB situation. They all have weaknesses worse than Dak. So pass.
I would take Jameis in a heartbeat. He's a much better player than Dak and it isn't really close.

I'd bring in Teddy.

No matter which of these guys you bring in you let them compete with Dak who isn't extended and plays for 720k.

And then you see where we are this time next year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We keep Dak

200w.gif

Why you like not scoring bud?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Granted, the Cowboys organization loves Dak for some reason, so this discussion might be all-for-naught. But contrary to what the "we can't get anyone better than Dak right now" crowd says, there might be a few options, if the Cowboys wanted to explore them.

Here's a list of potential free agent QBs this offseason:

> Teddy Bridgewater -- catastrophic injury is completely behind him now, and he's only 26. Showed flashes in the 2018 preseason. There will probably be a big market for him.

> Nick Foles -- Slated to make $20 million next year, so the Eagles will have to let him go.

> Joe Flacco -- Looks pretty evident that the Ravens are ready to hand the reigns to Jackson. Doubt they'll keep Flacco as their backup

> Jameis Winston -- Pretty much a headcase, but he's 25 and would come relatively cheap.

> Derek Carr -- was playing at an MVP level 2 years ago before getting hurt. Gruden is cleaning house, so may Carr may be purged also.

> Ryan Tannehill -- He'll probably be retained by the Dolphins since they Osweiler is their only other legit QB with experience. But Tannehill has proven he can't lead the Dolphins anywhere, so they may cut bait.

> Josh McCown -- old but reliable. Would he be a good stop gap?

> Brock Osweiler -- has played better with the Dolphins than he did with the Texans or Browns. And he's still only 28.

> Tyrod Taylor -- he's a good leader and has had moderate levels of success. And he's only 29.

> Ryan Fitzpatrick -- Fitzmagic in Big D for a year or two?

Who would you be intrigued by? I'd take 4-5 of these guys over Dak right now.

Any of the above and also consider bringing David Carr back from retirement ......

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Anyone that chooses Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, Flacco, Foles or Bortles over Dak needs to turn in their fan card and delete their account

Go watch soccer

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
I would take Jameis in a heartbeat. He's a much better player than Dak and it isn't really close.

I'd bring in Teddy.

No matter which of these guys you bring in you let them compete with Dak who isn't extended and plays for 720k.

And then you see where we are this time next year.
New Orleans won’t let him go. He is the heir to drew Bree’s.

Teddy Bridgewater has the best textbook qb mechanics I’ve seen since Peyton Manning

Reaction score
Granted, the Cowboys organization loves Dak for some reason, so this discussion might be all-for-naught. But contrary to what the "we can't get anyone better than Dak right now" crowd says, there might be a few options, if the Cowboys wanted to explore them.

Here's a list of potential free agent QBs this offseason:

Realistically I think this is how it falls in regards to who we would want and are they affordable. Of course knowing full well it's all fantasy land because I think Jerry is gonna sign Dak.

Flacco - (2019)26,500,00 (2020) 28,250,000 8 mil dead, 20 cap savings (2021)- cut no dead keep 24,250,000
Carr - (2019) 22,500,000 (2020) 21,500,000 5 mil dead, 16,500 cap savings (2021) 2.5 dead 19.625 cap savings (2022) cut no dead
Taylor Who know what he will cost, but marginal upgrade over Dak but for the right price, great camp competiton
Bridgewater - will be unaffordable if the Saints don't keep him

Nick Foles - too expensive for the production most likely
Winston - as stated not worth the risk
Tannehill - won't leave Dolphins
McCown - good backup
Osweiler - Haven't seen enough good from him yet
Fitzpatrick - Love Fitzbeard to watch, but far to inconsistent to bring in.

So I think Carr is the most intriguing followed by Flacco. Carr gets the edge because it's really 'average' QB salary these days and you can get out from under it quickly if you get your guy in the 2020 draft. The problem with both of those players though is you have to be certain you are done with Dak because the soonest you could get out from under them if you have to pay Dak in 2020 is 2020.....If one of them played all of 2019 how have you evaluated Dak?

Which puts you in group 2 - Tyrod Taylor and Nick Foles, IMO for the right price Tyrod is intriguing from a best man wins in camp perspective. Foles unless the Eagles eat some of his salary probably is too expnesive to even talk about because if he gets beat out in camp he's a backup that makes 20mil. Fitzpatrick or McCown as backups have some merit.