I have it:
Deebo>Campbell>Isabella>Hart>Hardman>Renfrew
Ist>2nd>3rd>4th>4th>6th

cnuball21

Reaction score
I have it:
Deebo>Campbell>Isabella>Hart>Hardman>Renfrew
Ist>2nd>3rd>4th>4th>6th

Dan what are your thoughts on drafting a WR and when?

Any guys you like that you think would bring good value?

gmoney112

Reaction score
I need to check this dude out, Broaddus and Brugler have been talking about him. Electric athlete that could give us juice in the return and could develop into a solid 3.

I don’t want us drafting WR until the 4th, as it’s much lower in my list of needs.

Another guy to keep an eye on is KJ Hill. Campbell gets all the love at OSU bc he’s a better athlete, but Hill is more consistent as a better route runner with better hands.

I barely knew who Mecole was until a week ago. I don't watch much college. Now, I would be very surprised if he lasted until the 4th. He probably blows up the Combine, and it's not like his speed was on display at a small school.

He's taller, more explosive, probably the best with the ball in his hands, and a better returner than every slot WR in this draft not named Marquise Brown. He can legit go up and get it. That's pretty rare. He's the slot, chess piece guy and with the league looking at speed right now, he won't be there at our pick in the 4th imo. Unless it comes out he has a criminal record or something.

Maybe Broaddus/Brugler have heard we like him enough to burn a 3.

DanA

Reaction score
Dan what are your thoughts on drafting a WR and when?

Any guys you like that you think would bring good value?

I have the following grades as targeted players:
late 1st/early 2nd: M.Brown P.Cambell
Rd 2: D.Samuel, R.Ridley
Rd 3: H.Butler, K.Harmon, A.Isabella, P.Hart
Rd 4: Hardman, T.Goodwin

I'd only be looking for one of Brown, Campbell, Samuel, Isabella, or Hart as I am looking for them as a slot/PR and jet sweep player.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I have the following grades as targeted players:
late 1st/early 2nd: M.Brown P.Cambell
Rd 2: D.Samuel, R.Ridley
Rd 3: H.Butler, K.Harmon, A.Isabella, P.Hart
Rd 4: Hardman, T.Goodwin

I'd only be looking for one of Brown, Campbell, Samuel, Isabella, or Hart as I am looking for them as a slot/PR and jet sweep player.
Wonder would DAL look at a WR3 over a TE to add more explosion/juice to the offense? ...morphing to more 11 personnel, also opening up more lanes for Zeke.

DanA

Reaction score
Wonder would DAL look at a WR3 over a TE to add more explosion/juice to the offense? ...morphing to more 11 personnel, also opening up more lanes for Zeke.

It's reasonable IMO.

A slot WR is probably gonna play 65% of plays compared to a TE1 playing 95% so there's a bit more value at TE in terms of snaps but you add in punt returner and jet sweeps and it evens out a bit IMO.

Also the way this draft is shaping up. It seems like the top 3 TE's are going to go 1st round and then I don't see much difference between the next 4-5 guys so you could easily take one in the 3rd, maybe 4th.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's reasonable IMO.

A slot WR is probably gonna play 65% of plays compared to a TE1 playing 95% so there's a bit more value at TE in terms of snaps but you add in punt returner and jet sweeps and it evens out a bit IMO.

Also the way this draft is shaping up. It seems like the top 3 TE's are going to go 1st round and then I don't see much difference between the next 4-5 guys so you could easily take one in the 3rd, maybe 4th.

I like the WRs you mentioned but I don’t them getting a lot of balls unless it’s a slot guy so I’m not drafting early.

Also, like you mentioned the TEs that would be an upgrade will likely be fine when we pick, so what’s the point when we just drafted one who had a midround grade? Half the names being talked around here are similar prospects to Schultz.

rambo2

Reaction score
I think that they would.

Verdammung

Reaction score
Not a lot of love for my guy, Kelvin Harmon. Granted, everyone's looking for a Y to replace Beasley and he's an X.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not a lot of love for my guy, Kelvin Harmon. Granted, everyone's looking for a Y to replace Beasley and he's an X.

I live here in Raleigh, a few miles from NCST, so I know all about Harmon! I think he’s gonna be a solid, but not spectacular WR at the next level.

Good length, hands and body control but not sure he has the burst to turn into a 1.

As mentioned, more of a slot guy would be my target if we’re going to target WR.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I barely knew who Mecole was until a week ago. I don't watch much college. Now, I would be very surprised if he lasted until the 4th. He probably blows up the Combine, and it's not like his speed was on display at a small school.

He's taller, more explosive, probably the best with the ball in his hands, and a better returner than every slot WR in this draft not named Marquise Brown. He can legit go up and get it. That's pretty rare. He's the slot, chess piece guy and with the league looking at speed right now, he won't be there at our pick in the 4th imo. Unless it comes out he has a criminal record or something.

Maybe Broaddus/Brugler have heard we like him enough to burn a 3.

I've heard he has some kind of incurable Asian jungle herpes.

(let's get that started)

DanA

Reaction score
I like the WRs you mentioned but I don’t them getting a lot of balls unless it’s a slot guy so I’m not drafting early.

Also, like you mentioned the TEs that would be an upgrade will likely be fine when we pick, so what’s the point when we just drafted one who had a midround grade? Half the names being talked around here are similar prospects to Schultz.

If Dallas Goedert where in this draft he’d be the 4-7th best TE IMO and a likely 3rd round pick.

It’s just a really strong draft for the TE position. I think we will almost certainly have a TE available in the 3rd that is much much better than Shultz and in other years might’ve squeezed into the 2nd round. It could also be an Awuzie /C.Williams type situation with a guy like Irv Smith in the 2nd, maybe a stretch but stuff like that seems to happen.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If Dallas Goedert where in this draft he’d be the 4-7th best TE IMO and a likely 3rd round pick.

It’s just a really strong draft for the TE position. I think we will almost certainly have a TE available in the 3rd that is much much better than Shultz and in other years might’ve squeezed into the 2nd round. It could also be an Awuzie /C.Williams type situation with a guy like Irv Smith in the 2nd, maybe a stretch but stuff like that seems to happen.

I agree to an extent that Goedert was overdrafted due to a weak TE class, but dude was a darn good prospect. 6’5, 34 inch arms, huge hands and massive production showcasing natural receiving ability.

Obviously it was against lesser production, but as a WR I think you can make argument he matches up against anyone coming out this year.

Hock, Fant and Smith are all gone IMO... I think Schultz didn’t have as much production in college, but I don’t see anyone that would be significantly better after the top 3 are taken. Maybe Sternberger?

DanA

Reaction score
I agree to an extent that Goedert was overdrafted due to a weak TE class, but dude was a darn good prospect. 6’5, 34 inch arms, huge hands and massive production showcasing natural receiving ability.

Obviously it was against lesser production, but as a WR I think you can make argument he matches up against anyone coming out this year.

Hock, Fant and Smith are all gone IMO... I think Schultz didn’t have as much production in college, but I don’t see anyone that would be significantly better after the top 3 are taken. Maybe Sternberger?

The obvious comparison for me would be Kaden Smith who was the no.1 TE ahead of Shultz as a sophomore. Shultz was the better blocker at the time but IMO Kaden Smith looked better this season in that regard too.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The obvious comparison for me would be Kaden Smith who was the no.1 TE ahead of Shultz as a sophomore. Shultz was the better blocker at the time but IMO Kaden Smith looked better this season in that regard too.

I agree Smith wouldn’t be an upgrade, just maybe not a huge upgrade.

I like Jace and Smith as realistic options...just not in the 2nd.

I could get on board in the 3rd, but would prefer the 4th.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Yeah, no he wouldn’t.

I got news for you too. Paris Campbell won’t sniff the 1st round.

DanA

Reaction score
Yeah, no he wouldn’t.

I got news for you too. Paris Campbell won’t sniff the 1st round.

I have Brown going 15-25 and Campbell going 25-35. I think Campbell was under utilized and expect him to blow up the combine.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought that this was a decent article to get us thinking about wide receivers in this draft. There is some analytics that some may like. With us maybe needing a WR with Beasley a FA and Hurns recovering, there is a chance that we will be in the market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/85659/453/2019-nfl-draft-wr-stats-report

I applaud their efforts. They put a lot of work into those rankings.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of using stats to evaluate draft picks. There are just too many variables between the circumstances surrounding each college football player.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Emmanuel Hall,Mizzou
Jaylen Smith,Louisville
Tony Pollard,Memphis
worth keeping an eye on...specially Hall.

I don’t like hall as much as others. It will be fun to see Pollard’s short area quickness. He’s fun to watch. Would he just be KR? Or can he play slot or third down never block for Dak RB?