2020 NCAA Football Thread

kev8822

Reaction score
Pretty sure Texas is firing Herman and hiring Urban Meyer.
Only caveat there is USC is likely canning it's staff and may also look at Meyer.
Someone is gonna give him Saban money that's for sure.

Urban turned Texas down. He won't go to USC either.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Urban turned Texas down. He won't go to USC either.
pretty wild. was weird with him being totally quiet as his colleagues discussed texas.
gonna be wild to hear what the deal was if we ever do.

kev8822

Reaction score
pretty wild. was weird with him being totally quiet as his colleagues discussed texas.
gonna be wild to hear what the deal was if we ever do.

He does have legit health concerns. He's also still really involved with OSU. He's the assistant AD, teaches a class, also has his own restaurant in the suburbs.

He and Herman have had major issues since Tom got the Texas job. Another rumor was Urban's hold over staff still with OSU had no interest in starting all over somewhere new. OSU will have the #1 or #2 recruiting class in 2021, they will have the #1 in 2022, so OSU will not drop off. Ryan Day isn't Larry Coker.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He does have legit health concerns. He's also still really involved with OSU. He's the assistant AD, teaches a class, also has his own restaurant in the suburbs.

He and Herman have had major issues since Tom got the Texas job. Another rumor was Urban's hold over staff still with OSU had no interest in starting all over somewhere new. OSU will have the #1 or #2 recruiting class in 2021, they will have the #1 in 2022, so OSU will not drop off. Ryan Day isn't Larry Coker.
Def could have come down to staff.
Urban was basically the guy putting himself out there to Texas and he did at least call around asking about a potential staff.
OSU is definitely not falling off.
They own the B1G and are one of the 3-4 current superpowers.

UT was ripe for a guy like Urban though. He'd have run the entire program and been the highest paid coach in any collegiate sport.
He can recruit 5 NFL guys per year just in a 5 hour driving range from Austin.
They'll have a brand new football facility in 2021.

My guess is now UT sucks it up and keep Herman another year.
UT has had a lot of talent but needs an elite QB.
The Southlake kid they lost to OSU would've been that guy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...5/sources-big-ten-expected-change-6-game-rule

Big Ten eliminates minimum-game requirement; Ohio State-Northwestern in title game

The Big Ten officially changed its policy that teams must play six games to be eligible for the conference championship game, meaning undefeated No. 4 Ohio State will face Northwestern on Dec. 19.

The conference made the announcement Wednesday after its administrative council, made up of all athletic directors and senior women administrators, voted to eliminate the minimum-game requirement in collaboration with the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Crazy finish in the Swamp. Don't ever recall a shoe being thrown keeping a drive going.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...5/sources-big-ten-expected-change-6-game-rule

Big Ten eliminates minimum-game requirement; Ohio State-Northwestern in title game

The Big Ten officially changed its policy that teams must play six games to be eligible for the conference championship game, meaning undefeated No. 4 Ohio State will face Northwestern on Dec. 19.

The conference made the announcement Wednesday after its administrative council, made up of all athletic directors and senior women administrators, voted to eliminate the minimum-game requirement in collaboration with the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors.

Chicken ****, really.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Today is the best Saturday of the season with an appetizer of that LSU-FL game last Saturday.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Clemson with Lawrence this time.....drubbing Notre Dame. 24-3 at the half

Mannix

Reaction score
Big 10 office already working on manipulating the rules AGAIN for the biggest cheats in all of D1 football...and I am including the SEC when I say this. OSU for whatever reason NEVER gets nailed for being the slimiest program in all the land....sickening. Big 10 office would NEVER bend over backward for ANY other team other than maybe Michigan. Why? Because OSU is all they got. 6 games should NOT get you in...especially when your best win is a 7 point victory against a Johnny Come Lately basketball school.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't have any allegiance to Texas AM, but when you look at the entire resume, I think they have a strong argument to make that final 4.

Maybe even over BOTH Ohio State and Notre Dame.
  • The Buckeyes only played half their games , but did manage to beat a couple of top 20 teams. No top 5 or even top 10 wins though.
  • The Irish played a full slate (so must give big credit there) but their big win was at home in OT vs a Clemson missing 3 of their best defenders and Trevor Lawrence. When they faced them again at full strength, they got blown out. Their other "big" win was vs #13 UNC.

A&M's only loss was to #1 Alabama. Then again, their only truly big win was vs a top 10 Florida. Great win though

They at least have a legit argument.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score
I don't have any allegiance to Texas AM, but when you look at the entire resume, I think they have a strong argument to make that final 4.

Maybe even over BOTH Ohio State and Notre Dame.
  • The Buckeyes only played half their games , but did manage to beat a couple of top 20 teams. No top 5 or even top 10 wins though.
  • The Irish played a full slate (so must give big credit there) but their big win was at home in OT vs a Clemson missing 3 of their best defenders and Trevor Lawrence. When they faced them again at full strength, they got blown out. Their other "big" win was vs #13 UNC.
You seem to be deriding ND's "big" wins, but where are A&M's..? Their only "big" win was over 3-loss Florida. The SEC West just wasn't that strong this year (besides Alabama of course) so wins over Auburn and LSU just aren't impressive this year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You seem to be deriding ND's "big" wins, but where are A&M's..? Their only "big" win was over 3-loss Florida. The SEC West just wasn't that strong this year (besides Alabama of course) so wins over Auburn and LSU just aren't impressive this year.
Fair enough

I'm a UNC fan so I guess I shouldn't give ND a hard time for beating my Heels and calling it a big win. Just calling it as I see it.
I do think Florida is better than UNC. UNC is on the rise though.

I'm fine with ND making it,
I just thought A&M had an argument as well.
That goes for AM vs Ohio State too. They probably are a top 4 team, but playing just 6 games. Just doesn't seem so far to those who had to battle through 10-11 games with Covid and all.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Both the Aggies and the Domers had an unimpressive win and a serious loss, to an extent. The A&M/Bama game was good until the second half.

Both TAMU and Notre Dame had Top 10 strength of schedule rankings AND played far more games than tOU. Neither had to have a rule change in their respective conferences to mold the season to their liking.

Imho, Ohio State shouldn't have even been considered to be in the damn playoffs, it should have been A&M over them. The fact that the competition committee even considered them "better" than either the Aggies or the Domers is a slap in the face to the whole "competition" aspect of it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would have put the Ags in 3rd.
ND looked shaky much of the year and lost by basically 30 in the day before bids went out.

TAMU is one a 7 a game win streak with the sole loss coming to #1 overall Bama.

ND obviously loses twice to Clemson if Lawrence doesn't get COVID and needed 2 OT to win without him.

As a Red Raider I kinda hate all things Ags but they have a right to be done over.
NO 1 loss SEC team has missed the CFP before now.

I would have put OSU 4th to match up with Bama and pair the unbeatens The 6 game season only achieving 4th slot.

End of day probably doesn't matter. Clkemsopn and Bama seem destined to meet again in a snooze bowl.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What's super clear is the CFP needs to go away in this form.
Make it 4 super conferences and then play the 4 champs based on rotating bowl games.
Do away with seeding and committees.

The committee is worse than the computers. Biased as can be.

The P5 is going to pull away and do their own thing and then allow the G5 and others to have a real playoff.
And hopefully when the P5 idiots see the success the actual playoff has it'll change but I don't have high hopes anytime soon.