2020 NCAA Football Thread

StuckMojo

Reaction score
The freshman QB is playing just fine.

It's the defense and special team (1 punt returned for TD) that are shockingly bad today.
They've already given up 28 points and its still in the 3rd

The Clemson QB has thrown for 300 yards already and has 3 total TDs and 0 ints.
Yeah he is good. Missing Trevor’s leadership early on but now settling in.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah but they came out flat without Lawrence. DJ looks pretty good but he missed a lot of throws to his left that could have kept drives going. Etienne stepped up big time. I wish Zeke did the same.
Etienne is gonna be nice pro
So versatile. A lot of Kamara and McCaffery in his game. Faster than both but not quite as shifty

uvaballa

Reaction score
Etienne is gonna be nice pro
So versatile. A lot of Kamara and McCaffery in his game. Faster than both but not quite as shifty
The ACCs all time leading rusher is huge. Dude should be a great pro.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bad news for Clemson.
Lawrence is out for the game at Notre Dame next week

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Early CFP predicts?

Give me:
Bama
OSU
ND
TAMU??

Clemson takes ND spot obviously if they win without Trevor.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Early CFP predicts?

Give me:
Bama
OSU
ND
TAMU??

Clemson takes ND spot obviously if they win without Trevor.
Bama and Ohio St.
If A&M goes undefeated....yes
Same with ND, but we’ll see about that

after that, hard to say

Clemson could lose 1 without Lawrence but the run the table and get the 4 spot....especially given they will play a full slate.

btw
ND loses AT UNC on 11/27
:grin:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
TD Spartans.

Mich St. 27 #13 Michigan 17

5:11 to go in the 4th

Hands down the most inexplicably awful and indefensible loss for harbaugh at Michigan. I have been telling people since early 2017 that this experiment was going tragically wrong and that this was not the same guy from Stanford & San Francisco

Week in and week out his teams are consistently unmotivated and unprepared, both schematically and mentally. At this point the man is literally stealing from the University of Michigan every time he collects his paycheck. how he was not fired first thing this morning is beyond me

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bama and Ohio St.
If A&M goes undefeated....yes
Same with ND, but we’ll see about that

after that, hard to say

Clemson could lose 1 without Lawrence but the run the table and get the 4 spot....especially given they will play a full slate.

btw
ND loses AT UNC on 11/27
:grin:
Good points all around.
If Clemson loses to ND by a close margin they'd still be in the top 6 immediately with a good shot of hitting top 4 again if they win the ACC CG.
But ACC format hurts here as like the B12 it is top 2 teams so no way to be really good and avoid the CG battle. A split here where two teams have 1 loss is very intriguing but may depend on what happens with SEC specifically TAMU/Georgia and the PAC.

UNC has a lot of offense and might pose ND probs for sure. Gonna be interesting to them versus Miami as I think they are two flawed teams that are really good on opposite sides of the ball.

TAMU could win out, miss the SEC CG and go with 1 loss as the 4 team. They have some fairly soft SEC teams left before the finale on the road at Auburn.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Good points all around.
If Clemson loses to ND by a close margin they'd still be in the top 6 immediately with a good shot of hitting top 4 again if they win the ACC CG.
But ACC format hurts here as like the B12 it is top 2 teams so no way to be really good and avoid the CG battle. A split here where two teams have 1 loss is very intriguing but may depend on what happens with SEC specifically TAMU/Georgia and the PAC.

UNC has a lot of offense and might pose ND probs for sure. Gonna be interesting to them versus Miami as I think they are two flawed teams that are really good on opposite sides of the ball.

TAMU could win out, miss the SEC CG and go with 1 loss as the 4 team. They have some fairly soft SEC teams left before the finale on the road at Auburn.
I think A&M would need a 2-loss ACC champ which I just don't see happening - not to mention the craziness we may get from the Pac 12. I think Clemson will get a pass if they lose without Lawrence but then go on to (hypothetically) beat ND in the ACC CCG.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Hands down the most inexplicably awful and indefensible loss for harbaugh at Michigan. I have been telling people since early 2017 that this experiment was going tragically wrong and that this was not the same guy from Stanford & San Francisco

Week in and week out his teams are consistently unmotivated and unprepared, both schematically and mentally. At this point the man is literally stealing from the University of Michigan every time he collects his paycheck. how he was not fired first thing this morning is beyond me

I hope this continues next week against my Hoosiers

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I hope this continues next week against my Hoosiers

It will

From what I can tell you guys have speed on the edge and at WR. Guaranteed JH and DB will play the same old island coverages with blitz heavy tendencies. As long as your o line is moderately functional you should score 40 on us easily

I was super pumped when we hired harbaugh. Thought it would bring us back to relevance

Realized about late 2016 to early 2017 that he was not the JH from Stanford and SF. Not even close. Being completely candid, at least Rich Rod's teams played hard. They weren't great teams but they were mentally and emotionally ready on a week to week basis. Michigan is the punch line to a million jokes right now. It's tough to watch

DanteEXT

Reaction score
It will

From what I can tell you guys have speed on the edge and at WR. Guaranteed JH and DB will play the same old island coverages with blitz heavy tendencies. As long as your o line is moderately functional you should score 40 on us easily

I was super pumped when we hired harbaugh. Thought it would bring us back to relevance

Realized about late 2016 to early 2017 that he was not the JH from Stanford and SF. Not even close. Being completely candid, at least Rich Rod's teams played hard. They weren't great teams but they were mentally and emotionally ready on a week to week basis. Michigan is the punch line to a million jokes right now. It's tough to watch

OL is sorta hit and miss at times. At least that's what it sounds like listening to the games (I haven't actually watched one yet, just tuned in to the radio broadcast)

I honestly thought they'd be better under JH. While I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Michigan been curious why he hasn't had as much success as I would have thought.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
OL is sorta hit and miss at times. At least that's what it sounds like listening to the games (I haven't actually watched one yet, just tuned in to the radio broadcast)

I honestly thought they'd be better under JH. While I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Michigan been curious why he hasn't had as much success as I would have thought.

I don't know if harbaugh just caught lightning in a bottle twice at Stanford and also in San Francisco. But I am starting to think that is the case. Because he has brought in some decent talent from a recruiting standpoint but just has not had that translate to results on the field

In a lot of ways the wolverines are a perfect complement to my Cowboys fandom. Tons of annual preseason hype, followed by quick, decisive, and crippling destruction of any hope that we might have had for a fleeting moment

Year after year, lather rinse repeat

JH is an awful lot like Jerry Jones. Master promoter with very little actual substance to back up the hype.

TBH I'm almost numb to it anymore. I expect it.

kev8822

Reaction score
I don't know if harbaugh just caught lightning in a bottle twice at Stanford and also in San Francisco. But I am starting to think that is the case. Because he has brought in some decent talent from a recruiting standpoint but just has not had that translate to results on the field

In a lot of ways the wolverines are a perfect complement to my Cowboys fandom. Tons of annual preseason hype, followed by quick, decisive, and crippling destruction of any hope that we might have had for a fleeting moment

Year after year, lather rinse repeat

JH is an awful lot like Jerry Jones. Master promoter with very little actual substance to back up the hype.

TBH I'm almost numb to it anymore. I expect it.

From an OSU fans view I think there are a lot of things adding up to Michigan's struggles.

1. Poor QB development. He was supposed to be this QB guru, but it has not worked out well. I do like Joe Milton, though Michigan fans need to stop comparing him to Cam Newton.

2. Seems slow to evolving his offense. Saban evolved, Urban took his 31-0 dong punch from Dabo and hired Kevin Wilson and Ryan day to re-vamp his O. I know he hired Josh Gattis last year, but has there been a big improvement?

3. He is a very good coach, but he is paid like the elite of the elite (Saban/Dabo) and he is not that. Everyone expects championships, and I don't know if that will ever happen. He has done better than Hoke and RichRod but Michigan thought they were getting their Urban. Clearly not

4. He has recruited well, but he has not out recruited Ohio St, and that is not going to change anytime soon. OSU will finish #1 or #2 this year, and #1 of #2 next year.

5. Is The University of Michigan all in on football? The SEC, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma are all in. Does Harbaugh get the support he needs to compete with them?

6. Don Brown. His D system is great against teams with less talent. Once the talent gap is even, or better, it gets ugly. See OSU putting up 62 and 56 against Michigan the last 2 years.

7. He will be remembered for his record vs Ohio State. Despite dominating the last 2 decades in the rivalry, The Game means more to OSU. Day and Harbaugh got into a argument during the big ten media blitz, and the first thing Day did was call his team and tell them to get ready because they are scoring 100 on the team up north. Does Harbaugh have that same passion? Maybe he does, but it doesn't seem like it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think A&M would need a 2-loss ACC champ which I just don't see happening - not to mention the craziness we may get from the Pac 12. I think Clemson will get a pass if they lose without Lawrence but then go on to (hypothetically) beat ND in the ACC CCG.
ND has been shaky a few times I've watched so not sure they would get in if they lose to Clemson in the ACC CG over a TAMU team that would have only 1 loss: To Bama and then really long win streak.
But it could come down to style points.
Wisc/OSU in B10 is another duo to watch and I guess whatever the PAC does in it's baby schedule could lend an undefeated team.

Ghost12

Reaction score
ND has been shaky a few times I've watched so not sure they would get in if they lose to Clemson in the ACC CG over a TAMU team that would have only 1 loss: To Bama and then really long win streak.
But it could come down to style points.
I may have phrased my statement very poorly so please let me clarify:

If ND loses 2 games, no way they get in. If they lose 1 regular season game and beat Clemson in the ACC CCG, I think they would get in.
Similarly....
If Clemson loses 2 games, no way they get in. If they lose 1 regular season game (perhaps this weekend to ND with their backup QB) but win out and avenge that loss in the ACC CCG, I think they would get in.

I do not see a 1 loss A&M getting in ahead of a 1-loss ACC Champ. But they would get in ahead of a 1-loss ACC runner-up as well as a 2-loss champion. (Though not necessarily get in ahead of everyone else such as an undefeated Pac-12 champ).
Wisc/OSU in B10 is another duo to watch and I guess whatever the PAC does in it's baby schedule could lend an undefeated team.
Agreed. I think the Pac-12, with such a short schedule, should have an undefeated team. It's almost unfair.