2021 Cap Space Thread

J12B

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Dallas had $34 million in cap space at the end of this season and according to OTC they have $22 million in cap space for 2021 right now.

My question is, will that $34 million roll over into 2021 giving us $56 million in cap space?

If so, then I would imagine we are going to be in great shape cap wise next year. Especially compared to teams like the Eagles. They're around $50 million over the cap next year and looking at their contracts it's going to be tough to trim the fat from what I'm seeing.

If we sign Dak long term, he'll probably only have a cap hit of $22-25 million for the first year in his deal. Hopefully by 2022 the pandemic is behind us and with new TV deal the cap will rise significantly.

Cutting Chris Jones would free up $2 million.

Don't see any other releases that would create additional cap space since most key players are in the early years of their deals. Possibly T. Smith, but there would be an $8 million cap hit and only $5 million in cap space. Makes more sense to keep him for another season and hope he is healthy.

I guess the point of this thread is to discuss next year's cap situation.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Dallas had $34 million in cap space at the end of this season and according to OTC they have $22 million in cap space for 2021 right now.

My question is, will that $34 million roll over into 2021 giving us $56 million in cap space?

If so, then I would imagine we are going to be in great shape cap wise next year. Especially compared to teams like the Eagles. They're around $50 million over the cap next year and looking at their contracts it's going to be tough to trim the fat from what I'm seeing.

If we sign Dak long term, he'll probably only have a cap hit of $22-25 million for the first year in his deal. Hopefully by 2022 the pandemic is behind us and with new TV deal the cap will rise significantly.

Cutting Chris Jones would free up $2 million.

Don't see any other releases that would create additional cap space since most key players are in the early years of their deals. Possibly T. Smith, but there would be an $8 million cap hit and only $5 million in cap space. Makes more sense to keep him for another season and hope he is healthy.

I guess the point of this thread is to discuss next year's cap situation.
according to the CBA it does.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The last numbers I saw was 174 million for the top 51 players and 9 million in dead cap. 183 milion total cap number for 2021

Cap projection was 175 million for 2021 and the cowboys had 26 million in 2020 rollover cap. End result was 18 million in free space for 2021

J12B

Reaction score
they may get partly bailed out of some team is dumb enough to trade for that Wentz guy.

It still sounds like they'll take a huge cap hit even if they do find a trade partner.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As far as cap space goes, the Cowboys are in much better shape than a lot of teams. I don't get why many of you have convinced yourselves the cap situation in 2021 will be bad for the Cowboys.

John813

Reaction score
It's tough to determine cap space with the cap ceiling for 2021 unknown to the public.

Estimates have ranged from 176-195mil.
Any special rules for 21+ have yet to be released.

I doubt the NFL/PA will want to see a drastic drop in cap, and there were rumors of possible cap lending from future years.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's tough to determine cap space with the cap ceiling for 2021 unknown to the public.

Estimates have ranged from 176-195mil.
Any special rules for 21+ have yet to be released.

I doubt the NFL/PA will want to see a drastic drop in cap, and there were rumors of possible cap lending from future years.

I tend to agree. But taking from future years will at best keep the cap from dropping. But probably won't raise it much. That's still a problem. For the past 6 years the cap has gone up 10-12 mil per year. Not much wiggle room.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Cap space? We talking about cap space? Who cares about cap space? The Jonses aren't going to know what to do with it anyway. Heck, they'll probably re-sign Awuzie to a twelve million a year contract. Dummies.
:facepalm: