2021 Cap Space Thread

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Allen looks like he's about to get the deal Dak wants.......... if only Dak hadn't saved his best for his rookie season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Per spotrac, here's the hard math:

League Cap Floor (estimated) - $175 million
Rollover - $26.4 million
Total Cap - $201.4 million

Top 51 contracts - $183.4 million

Cap space available - $18 million

Now if the cap is closer to $195 million as some rumors claim, then our cap space would be $38 million, which seems like a lot but then you have to factor in a tag of Dak is $37 million and a long term deal would likely still have his initial cap hit in the high $20 million range, at least.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hey looks like we may even add Tyron to the list of guys gone

Could be but I doubt it. At least, not this year unless somebody is willing to trade for him and we have a plan to replace him. I could see us taking a LT early in the draft this year but it's not a given. Lots of Defensive needs and then you always have Jerry on the yacht, drinking the JW and making the final calls on players that he likes so you kinda never know what will happen with the 1st round picks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Or just click on the Cowboys in this chart, then use the drop down box to find 2021 and it will give you the details.

Correct. I know the details as I've already looked at them but the point I was trying to make is that if you just click on the link and don't adjust for cap year correctly, it will show 198 mil or something like that. That's not accurate. You have to adjust for year in order to get the correct estimated 2021 cap number for each team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Correct. I know the details as I've already looked at them but the point I was trying to make is that if you just click on the link and don't adjust for cap year correctly, it will show 198 mil or something like that. That's not accurate. You have to adjust for year in order to get the correct estimated 2021 cap number for each team.

I edited my post as I thought people would benefit more from a simplified look at the math.

It's hard to figure out what our cap will be until they announce the cap floor for the league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is a link that reflects cap numbers from 2020. In order to calculate 2021, you must adjust for cap year and update. That number, once adjustments are made, reflect a team cap number of 175,000,000.00.

Understand that also think Cowboys cap situation is better than a lot of teams right now. I fully expect that there will be some deals restructed to free up cap space as all teams do.

Sydla

Reaction score
Understand that also think Cowboys cap situation is better than a lot of teams right now. I fully expect that there will be some deals restructed to free up cap space as all teams do.

Per spotrac, their cap situation for 2021 is 14th, so middle of the pack (but again that doesn't include a huge hit for Dak). Not great, but not the lava oozing cap hell of the Eagles and Saints.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Per spotrac, their cap situation for 2021 is 14th, so middle of the pack (but again that doesn't include a huge hit for Dak). Not great, but not the lava oozing cap hell of the Eagles and Saints.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

True but again like most teams Cowboys will restructure certain contracts and yes lose some to FA, I don't see Cowboys cap situation as bad

Sydla

Reaction score
True but again like most teams Cowboys will restructure certain contracts and yes lose some to FA, I don't see Cowboys cap situation as bad

I wouldn't say bad. But it's not good. On a team that absolutely could stand to spread some money around to fix a talent deficient defense, they won't have the space to do that most likely. You are looking at a team that will probably field pretty much the same defense next year, with a new DC, some bargain bin crap FAs and counting on rookies to make some sort of impact.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wouldn't say bad. But it's not good. On a team that absolutely could stand to spread some money around to fix a talent deficient defense, they won't have the space to do that most likely. You are looking at a team that will probably field pretty much the same defense next year, with a new DC, some bargain bin crap FAs and counting on rookies to make some sort of impact.

I think there will be a turnover in defense. FA alone at CB and the play of the inside DL I think Cowboys have no option but to address it

TwentyOne

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Dallas had $34 million in cap space at the end of this season and according to OTC they have $22 million in cap space for 2021 right now.

My question is, will that $34 million roll over into 2021 giving us $56 million in cap space?

If so, then I would imagine we are going to be in great shape cap wise next year. Especially compared to teams like the Eagles. They're around $50 million over the cap next year and looking at their contracts it's going to be tough to trim the fat from what I'm seeing.

If we sign Dak long term, he'll probably only have a cap hit of $22-25 million for the first year in his deal. Hopefully by 2022 the pandemic is behind us and with new TV deal the cap will rise significantly.

Cutting Chris Jones would free up $2 million.

Don't see any other releases that would create additional cap space since most key players are in the early years of their deals. Possibly T. Smith, but there would be an $8 million cap hit and only $5 million in cap space. Makes more sense to keep him for another season and hope he is healthy.

I guess the point of this thread is to discuss next year's cap situation.

Dallas has NOT 34 Mils in rollover.

IDK where you get those numbers from.

Just because OTC says you have 34 mils in cap space in 2020 doesnt mean you can roll over everything to 2021.

J12B

Reaction score
Dallas has NOT 34 Mils in rollover.

IDK where you get those numbers from.

Just because OTC says you have 34 mils in cap space in 2020 doesnt mean you can roll over everything to 2021.

I thought teams are allowed to roll over unused cap space

dallasdave

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Dallas had $34 million in cap space at the end of this season and according to OTC they have $22 million in cap space for 2021 right now.

My question is, will that $34 million roll over into 2021 giving us $56 million in cap space?

If so, then I would imagine we are going to be in great shape cap wise next year. Especially compared to teams like the Eagles. They're around $50 million over the cap next year and looking at their contracts it's going to be tough to trim the fat from what I'm seeing.

If we sign Dak long term, he'll probably only have a cap hit of $22-25 million for the first year in his deal. Hopefully by 2022 the pandemic is behind us and with new TV deal the cap will rise significantly.

Cutting Chris Jones would free up $2 million.

Don't see any other releases that would create additional cap space since most key players are in the early years of their deals. Possibly T. Smith, but there would be an $8 million cap hit and only $5 million in cap space. Makes more sense to keep him for another season and hope he is healthy.

I guess the point of this thread is to discuss next year's cap situation.

Great thread--------------------will be good to know what Dallas has to work with in 2021