2021 defensive coordinator? Choose one

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Something keeps telilng me McCarthy is gonna want a 3-4 scheme guy( (should he be forced to change DC's) since it's what he knows and more famiilar working with per Niners and GB.

But it's not outta question with a 4-3 guy as MM let Nolan continue it.
- Note: i absolutely do NOT want Jeff Fisher nor Dom Capers coming here as a DC or any kind of coach or consulant !

4-3 guys:
Dan Quinn
Kris Richard
George Edwards

3-4 guys
Vic Fangio (should he be fired)
Wade Phillips
Chuck Pagnno (should all bears coaches be fired)

I think Vic Fangio would be my top choice if he were let go, although I wouldn't have a problem with Mike Zimmer either.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just me, but I don't trust Belichick assistants. Most have a bad track record......

However his son, Steve Belichick as gotten some praise from around the league, even from Bill. He's currently the Pats co-defensive coor.
As HC's they have failed, but some of his assistants in coordinator jobs this yr are doing very well. If MM truly is committed to running a multiple scheme here, Patrica has to be one of the names considered.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Vic Fangio would be my top choice if he were let go, although I wouldn't have a problem with Mike Zimmer either.

Zimmer would be my first choice as a DC ..period.
But I don't see him being fired. and if he immediately resurrect this unit into tops among NFL, I think he'll be an eventual HC hire elsewhere.
Zimmer has little to no talent among his DL and his CB issues are lacking. Vikes Management should be giving him an influx of defensive talent.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Marv Lewis out of that list but we can do better. I think our options will widen up once the season is over. I'd even venture into the college ranks for a new DC.

KDM256

Reaction score
I wish Dallas would reach out to any of these options.

1- Matt Eberflus
2- Lesile Frazier
3- Todd Bowles
4- Vance Joseph
5- Keith Butler (wishful thinking)

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Out of all of them, which one is the better cook? That could be the deciding factor.

quickccc

Reaction score
Except we have so few players to fit either scheme that I'm not sure it matters. We need a massive infusion of players even if we stay with the 43. We're basically building from scratch. Lawrence is about the only guy I can think of who is pretty good and a 43 guy.

That said, I think Jerry wants the 43 because 1. that's what won in the 90s glory days and 2. it's not what Parcells ran.

- If Jerry wants the 4-3 to stay, it's because of the issues we had with guys like DLaw and Griffin being so lost, uncomfortable and out of placed that
we did just the opposite of what McCarthy was saying we would 'Not' do upon his arrival.

- We forced players to try to fit the scheme... vs having a scheme that best fit the players.
DE's standing up vs hand down 3 point stance, ..dropping DEs in man coverage (not dropping into passing lanes but actually trying to man-cover)
Flip-flopping DEs to each end tp every one to two plays,..

- I think Gregory is just as good a natural and athletic edge rusher than even DLaw, he's just technically underdeveloped and still short on overall game experience.
But because he's still underdeveloped i'd still like to have a fine backup/rotation guy behind him.

- Its the interior DT, LB (see Jaylon) and secondary we have to really work. and we just have to work on a true legit productive 1 tech.
we resorted to flamed out bargain vets, and these bargain cheap street guys Hamilton, Woods, trade for Eli Ankou (who was inactive vs Bengals)
with no improved affect at all.,

- Both Hill and Gallimore just has to learn run defense; and I was encouraged with Hill's flashing ability to shed/penetrate in his 2nd year.
Maybe under good DL coaching we'll see Gallimore do the same under his 2nd year.
Hope we are not returning McCoy or Crawford next year.

- Sorry but I don't see the little regard for quality safety changing under Stephen Jones.
Expect more bargain cheap FA safeties, late round safeties, or no drafted safeties at all. o_O

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Brent Venables (Clemson)
Take it from a true Clemson guy Venables will never leave the Tigers to come coach the Pro's. He's just bought a house in Clemson and all his sons are on the Clemson roster currently. His wife has let him know that she has no interest in leaving Clemson.

quickccc

Reaction score
MM has said in the past, he wants to run a multiple scheme. Even if Nolan gets fired, he is going to want to hire a DC who has a similar scheme. Question is, will he be able to make the hire or will it come above? I can totally see Jerry forcing Wade on him.

Wade emphasizes a one gap scheme even though it's a 3-4 scheme.
He believes in his DEs slanting and getting upfield as rushing vs being 2 gapping and being read-react.

Somehow Phillips tends to eventually make it happen upfront, but it's something about his tenure that he eventually wears down, wear thin, wears out his welcome and becomes
vulnerable the longer he stays on as DC. And something tends to happen with his secondary play and even some productive big name players
don't fit or scheme well with him. Even Sean Lee had issues with Wade in his very early days here.

Was DL coach Jim Tomsula a part of Vic Fangio's defensive crew with the Niners ?

quickccc

Reaction score
Just me, but I don't MM taking a chance with unproven/inexperienced coor. He has to get this next hire right..,........

and the Jones would not like the idea of a unproven, new name DC either - though that eliminates the prospects of a young emerging types like Niners' Robert Salehor
or Rams Brandon Staley coming here on the scene.

Just like their HC, they want to be on a path of hitting the ground running and be already established.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Just me, but I don't trust Belichick assistants. Most have a bad track record......

However his son, Steve Belichick as gotten some praise from around the league, even from Bill. He's currently the Pats co-defensive coor.
So you don't trust his assistants but wanna trust his co-coordinator? Lmao wow

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
then we will just the equal of Nolan, and possibly even worse. this would be one of those times when upper management needs to put their foot down and say "no"
They would have to know due diligence history research that Capers was likely the leading decline and downfall for MM in GB.
And how it took forever for MM to finally even beginning a new DC search and replacement.
and if i'm management, i'm wanting a defensive presence on the field with the players, not stuck up there in the coaches booth.
That all sounds interesting.

But there is an old belief that you never hire your replacement.

So while we all want more..

McCarthy is not going to hire his replacement or anything close to it.

We as fans are in a vacuum pretty much.

We want things that nobody in their right minds would do.

Weird.

:laugh:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And horrible in Detroit. Had 3 years to put a defense together....failed miserably. :popcorn:
true but if there is a situation where I'm not sure the players wanted to be winners it might be there. sure seemed like they resisted discipline more than they resist the offenses they faced.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Patricia is my top guy by a mile.
He won a ton of games in NE with a very multiple defense.

The Detroit defense has been awful for 3 years but is that about the GM or the scheme/coaching??
I mean their second leading sack guy is Everson Griffin, lol.

I don't think Patricia gets a head coaching gig immediately so should be a decent option for us. Add Sean lee to his staff and let's go.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I loved Marvin Lewis way back as Ravens DC but I am old and that dude way older than me.
I'd like to get a guy around 50 that is doing things a modern way.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wade emphasizes a one gap scheme even though it's a 3-4 scheme.
He believes in his DEs slanting and getting upfield as rushing vs being 2 gapping and being read-react.

Somehow Phillips tends to eventually make it happen upfront, but it's something about his tenure that he eventually wears down, wear thin, wears out his welcome and becomes
vulnerable the longer he stays on as DC. And something tends to happen with his secondary play and even some productive big name players
don't fit or scheme well with him. Even Sean Lee had issues with Wade in his very early days here.

Was DL coach Jim Tomsula a part of Vic Fangio's defensive crew with the Niners ?

-I'm not sure I want Wade Phillips, but not sure if I want a two-gap read and react system, either. Linebackers and even safeties have looked so confused in this scheme, even Sean Lee has struggled on the mental side. Players are not playing fast. We heard Richard Sherman say Nolan's scheme is just too complicated. Maybe it's just Nolan's scheme, but we had issues when Rob Ryan brought in a similar system.

-We aren't going to overturn all 11 defensive starters, there are going to be some holdover players in which the team has to have a scheme that plays more to their strengths. DLaw, the 2 young 3 tech's, Lve/Jaylon, Diggs, etc. It really doesn't matter if it 43/34 or both, but a scheme that plays to the team's strengths.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sneaky good call.

Expensive but very good call.

Won't be leaving their current positions anytime soon.

One of my favorite Cowboys players, but no thanks, has been, umm, not good in Seattle.

Gus Bradley would be my top choice but I'd think he'd take the Seattle DC job (once Norton is let go) over us.

Sleeper pick: Mike Rutenberg, 49ers, but I think he takes the DC job wherever Saleh goes.
Venables likely isn't leaving a place he can recruit elite 4-5 star defenders across the board.
He's turned down head coaching P5 jobs.

Aranda is a head coach making like 2.75-3M a year. He's unlikely to come to Dallas to be DC at a lateral pay rate.

Gus Bradley is interesting but we tried that SEA scheme under Richard and just never got it down.
I think I'd rather be multiple and more in line with what most other teams are doing now.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wish Dallas would reach out to any of these options.

1- Matt Eberflus
2- Lesile Frazier
3- Todd Bowles
4- Vance Joseph
5- Keith Butler (wishful thinking)

All good choices, but they would be taking lateral moves. Why would their teams allow them to leave?