2021 NFL MVP Odds

plasticman

Reaction score
It's a worthless award, typically given to the QB or RB of an unusually dominant team that season.

70% of the winners were QB's and 26% were RB's. Then you have two generational players Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice at their positions and that is it.

Really?

No player at any other position was worthy of MVP?

I don't know about that, no linemen, not even Reggie White?

And what does it really mean? Logically, you would think that the league MVP is that player that was the most indispensable to the success of their team. Wouldn't that be Tony Romo in 2015? The Cowboys are 2-0, Romo goes down, and the season is a wreck.

Besides, it's a regular season award, which doesn't make sense. Isn't a players' true value going to come out in the playoffs. I know this: Every league MVP would gladly trade it in for Super Bowl MVP.

Now there is a good question:

Have any players ever been league and SB MVP in the same season? I know Emmitt Smith was for starters.

It has happened three times;

Joe Montana 1989
Emmitt Smith 1993
Steve Young 1994

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Ppl asking why Tom Brady didn’t win the MVP? Lol

It’s a regular season award and he was nowhere close to mvp. Brady played amazing in the bowl and his performance for his age is incredible and unheard of. But let’s not act like he played better then Rodgers or Mahomes of the world. We all watched NFC champ he was horrendous. His last two Super Bowls the opposing team hasn’t scored a TD, yet we give him all the praise. Bucs were a great defensive with two monster Dends, both chiefs OTs were out. You do the math we saw what happened with our OTs gone.

Let’s analyze objectively here gentlemen.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
How many LBS are up for mvp consideration at all though?
Its extremely rare. Ray Lewis is the last, I think. But he proves it can happen. That's why I say I'd like one of our defensive players to be in that conversation. They would had to have an above awesome season.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm still puzzled how Tom Brady signed with a team that was 7-9 the year before, won the Super Bowl with it, and didn't get MVP.
How is it possible not to understand. You win this game in the locker room is called camaraderie teamwork. That’s what breed he brings to the table as much as talent . You have to believe you’re a winner to become a winner. And that’s what Prescott does for us he believes he is a winner. And he is one. You don’t have to win football games to be a winner it’s all about attitude

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm still puzzled how Tom Brady signed with a team that was 7-9 the year before, won the Super Bowl with it, and didn't get MVP.
I’m sorry I miss read your post

Loso86

Reaction score
Its extremely rare. Ray Lewis is the last, I think. But he proves it can happen. That's why I say I'd like one of our defensive players to be in that conversation. They would had to have an above awesome season.
You said LBS but I get what your saying. If Dak is in the running it also means he's playing great and the team is doing good so all works

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

DRella

Reaction score
So I guess this proves Dak is somewhere between the 6th and 9th best NFL QB if Vegas thinks he's in MVP consideration? Dak haters bow down...

When you look at that list its obvious there are some biases in the rankings. Allen, Jackson, and Watson have proven nothing. Yes Jackson won MVP one season already, but the man cannot throw the ball if his life depended on it. Allen has proven nothing, and Watson may not be playing for a long time.

Also on the list is Wilson who isnt anything of what he used to be. He's on the decline behind that offensive line.

I would put Prescott in top 5 definitely.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I may drop 100 on it. Why not?
Yeah why not. I've done the same since 1991 for the cowboys to win it all. Had a great 1992 win of $1,500 and met and played blackjack with Charles Haley in Tahoe, he was happy for me!

The next 2 wins were nice, but the odds were not as favorable so much lower payouts.

The rest of the years since 1996 has been me donating to the sports book industry.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I could care less who wins MVP...yes Patrick Mahomes is the front runner once again., but if you saw that little game called The Super Bowl several months ago, you will see that it is not that simple. Mahomes needed his OL to do its J.O.B. . So much for the MVP . They ought to give it to the OL or DL sometimes since they do work as one unit. Its really a popularity contest generally speaking. I rather be like Tom Brady, and just gimmeee the dammm SB ring. After all, i got ten fingers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So I guess this proves Dak is somewhere between the 6th and 9th best NFL QB if Vegas thinks he's in MVP consideration? Dak haters bow down...
It's a compliment for sure. But it does not say who is better or worse. It's not a ranking of QBs if all else was equal.

It DOES prove that they expect him to be able to put up top 6-9 MVP numbers in the offense he is in.
Which given that he is surrounded by possibly more offensive talent than maybe any other player in the league.....he should be able to do.

No Dallas Cowboy QB (and few from any franchise...ever) has ever had 4 young skill players on offense on par with
Cooper
Lamp
Zeke
Gallup

Warner maybe had it with the Rams....maybe
Maybe Peyton for a year with the Colts?

Having 3 WRs capable of exceeding 1000 yards and a RB who routinely is near the top in rushing......it's extremely rare a and huge privilege.

And Dak is good enough to capilaize at a level to where is numbers will be very good

DFWJC

Reaction score
7/10 of MVP's in the 1980s went to QBs
7/10 of MVP's in the 1990s went to QBs
7/10 of MVP's in the 2000s went to QBs
This league has been QB-focused for a long time.
So consistently 70%
In other words...you proved his point seeing that 100% are now QBs..

DFWJC

Reaction score
A lot of players came to Tampa. Tom likely had a lot to do with that, but I don't think they give MVP points for recruitment. contributions.
By all accounts, his leadership changed the entire dynamic of that locker room.
Even all the defensive stars said so. They said the mindset was just different with him there.

Plus, he had an outstanding year on the field as well.
  • 4633 yards passing...which by itself is good but not that meaningful
more importantly
  • a whopping 28 more TDs than turnovers (that would've been a team record for most teams...including Dallas)
  • a 102.2 passer rating on top of the high numbers...which is unusual

Last edited:

Ozone22

Reaction score
It's a worthless award, typically given to the QB or RB of an unusually dominant team that season.

70% of the winners were QB's and 26% were RB's. Then you have two generational players Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice at their positions and that is it.

Really?

No player at any other position was worthy of MVP?

I don't know about that, no linemen, not even Reggie White?

And what does it really mean? Logically, you would think that the league MVP is that player that was the most indispensable to the success of their team. Wouldn't that be Tony Romo in 2015? The Cowboys are 2-0, Romo goes down, and the season is a wreck.

Besides, it's a regular season award, which doesn't make sense. Isn't a players' true value going to come out in the playoffs. I know this: Every league MVP would gladly trade it in for Super Bowl MVP.

Now there is a good question:

Have any players ever been league and SB MVP in the same season? I know Emmitt Smith was for starters.

It has happened three times;

Joe Montana 1989
Emmitt Smith 1993
Steve Young 1994

It is almost time for the NFL to do the same thing MLB does for pitchers by having the Cy Young Award.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Herbert and Allen are rising studs. Herbert might be the next premiere QB in the league. See if Chargers can surround him.

Tampa exposed Mahommes. As always disruption and pressure stymies QB’s.