2022-2023 NBA Thread

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ainge made a very Danny Ainge trade. That 2027 LA pick is going to be valuable. Cant remember if its unprotected or very lightly protected, but they probably aren't going to be very good
I think there are some protections on it

edit: 1-4 protections, so 5th-30 is pretty good, but kinda sucks if they fall off. Becomes a single second rounder in 2027 after that

So all in all, I don't think it will be that valuable

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This trade deadline was amazing...
Milwaukee got better adding Jae Crowder...a lot better imo if Crowder can get up to speed after not playing this season
Lakers got enough of a shot in the arm that I think they'll make the playoffs...only 2 games behind Portland and 4.5 behind the 6th seed
Phoenix obviously improved the most, landing Durant. They'll miss Bridges defense, but a KD/Booker 1-2 punch is lethal
Gotta say in the east, I like the Knicks landing Josh Hart. Big guard, plays defense, 3pt % is down this year, but has consistently been around 33% with some years as high as 37% or 39%

I still don't like the Mavs pulling the trigger on Kyrie...Kinda feel like he compliments guys like LeBron and Luka, but he's kinda been not content to play second fiddle, so I just don't know how well he'll mesh with Luka

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics get Muscala for a 2nd and Justin Jackson. 6-11, plays serviceable defense and has shot in the 40% range from 3 the last couples. Nice add and an upgrade from Kornet in deep regular season rotation, and more playable in the playoffs

Word is the Celtics have a package of Pritchard, Gallinari and a protected first to trade with. Could still use wing depth. Barton is a buyout candidate, but Id like to see them come away with a PJ Washington or Jaden McDaniels

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They should offload Johnson and Bridges. 3D guys are very much in demand around the league, and they could amass quite a treasure chest offloading. Iirc they own their pick this year, so being lottery bound doesnt help Houston. They could then use those picks to reload in the offseason. Trade a few frp's and they could probably cobble together a 45- 50 win team
Going to be interesting!
For now I think they have enough to hold up and claim a playoff spot.
Especially if Cam Thomas is going to average 25.
They go back to the scrappy, deep team that had pre-KD/Kyrie.
They have too many proven vets to just tank with 25 games left.
They win 8 and they end up at .500.

This summer they can likely recoup some assets and re-shape
Ceiling might drop but they got off a lot of disgruntled, bad money and can now focus on the future.
Just sending spare parts out on deals will net them a ton of 2nds and some trade exceptions.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ainge made a very Danny Ainge trade. That 2027 LA pick is going to be valuable. Cant remember if its unprotected or very lightly protected, but they probably aren't going to be very good
Top 4 protected but yea likely a good player when it drops.
The protection actually hurts LAL as it ties up the trade possibilities with the 2029 FRP.

Lakers got A LOT younger. Once you ignore all the nonsense trade suggestions out there for them they likely made the smartest, most quality moves available to them.
Kinda weird how though, as they dug into the bit of cap space they were likely to have available after dumping Westbrook.
Not sure you just dump all the guys they just traded for that are on non-guaranteed deals to free up less than a max slot.
Dump Rui, Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bamba to end up with 32M in space?
Seems unlikely.

Ainge has a ton of picks now, gave Utah fans a quality 50 games of basketball but can now late tank.
He's collected like 15 picks without just cratering. Impressive stuff.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Top 4 protected but yea likely a good player when it drops.
The protection actually hurts LAL as it ties up the trade possibilities with the 2029 FRP.

Lakers got A LOT younger. Once you ignore all the nonsense trade suggestions out there for them they likely made the smartest, most quality moves available to them.
Kinda weird how though, as they dug into the bit of cap space they were likely to have available after dumping Westbrook.
Not sure you just dump all the guys they just traded for that are on non-guaranteed deals to free up less than a max slot.
Dump Rui, Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bamba to end up with 32M in space?
Seems unlikely.

Ainge has a ton of picks now, gave Utah fans a quality 50 games of basketball but can now late tank.
He's collected like 15 picks without just cratering. Impressive stuff.
I haven't seen a comparison, but he probably has a better war chest than they have in OKC. Alot of those pics and swaps down the line could be very valuable, especially if/when Minnesota starts doing Minnesota things. I dont see Edwards going more than two years into a baby max without demanding a trade

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This trade deadline was amazing...
Milwaukee got better adding Jae Crowder...a lot better imo if Crowder can get up to speed after not playing this season
Lakers got enough of a shot in the arm that I think they'll make the playoffs...only 2 games behind Portland and 4.5 behind the 6th seed
Phoenix obviously improved the most, landing Durant. They'll miss Bridges defense, but a KD/Booker 1-2 punch is lethal
Gotta say in the east, I like the Knicks landing Josh Hart. Big guard, plays defense, 3pt % is down this year, but has consistently been around 33% with some years as high as 37% or 39%

I still don't like the Mavs pulling the trigger on Kyrie...Kinda feel like he compliments guys like LeBron and Luka, but he's kinda been not content to play second fiddle, so I just don't know how well he'll mesh with Luka
I would have liked Crowder back in Dallas.
Solid vet for playoff runs.

Lakers challenge is still just not much talent.
They were very smart to swap old for young finally but unless LeBron and AD can finally play together every night at 100% that team is looking at play-in at best.

Mavs are now must watch TV. They hadn't won a game all year without Luka but have now won 2 in a row versus quality West teams on the road.
The Mavs team had grown stale and there was no energy in the home building.
For better or worse Kyrie re-energizes the city and team.
Mavs play a ton of West teams in a row and can rise quickly in the standings with good play.
For Mavs fans the big thing is Josh Green and Jalen Hardy both remaining. (I'd rate both those assets more highly than a 2029 first) Green is an ascending 2-way player which makes him 1 of 1 on the Mavs. Hardy is a quality scorer who is young and inconsistent but the kind of GP2 kind of kid you want to develop as the back up scoring guard.
They need to hit on a buy-out guy and get Kleber back as the defensive big but they are a solid bet to win a series this year.
The real mystery will be this summer.

Suns are interesting. KD is so good at his best but he's out right now.
And CP3 is falling. Are they the best team in the West today?
I'm not so sure. But the ceiling is there.
Playoffs-wise Ayton hasn't been able to stay on the court. KD has taken a major step back defensively and Booker is just not good on defense at all.
At the same time KD/Booker offense can be so absurd maybe it doesn't matter.
I feel like PHX could be much better next year when they build around that KD/Book combo.

West is wide open and the in the East is still Bucks and Celts versus everyone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I haven't seen a comparison, but he probably has a better war chest than they have in OKC. Alot of those pics and swaps down the line could be very valuable, especially if/when Minnesota starts doing Minnesota things. I dont see Edwards going more than two years into a baby max without demanding a trade
I've never, never enjoyed stock-piling picks in the NBA because it is so long of a pay-off but if you can field a decent team while doing so, then heck yea.
Ainge hasn't had to go win 20 games to stock-pile his picks.
OKC did a lot of that so advantage Ainge.
OKC has SGA who is a super stud everyone should be paying attention to but his time is now, not in 5 years.
So will be interesting to see how they handle him and the team around him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've never, never enjoyed stock-piling picks in the NBA because it is so long of a pay-off but if you can field a decent team while doing so, then heck yea.
Ainge hasn't had to go win 20 games to stock-pile his picks.
OKC did a lot of that so advantage Ainge.
OKC has SGA who is a super stud everyone should be paying attention to but his time is now, not in 5 years.
So will be interesting to see how they handle him and the team around him.
Giddy has been looking like a player since he came on board. I trashed the pick. Holmgren is a wild card, but a year off and in the gym may do wonders for him. I think if the opportunity arises, they should look to package Giddy with picks for an All Star running mate for SGA and get to that 5/6 seed territory. Where you can really test yourself against contenders. They have a pretty nice collection of young role players

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Giddy has been looking like a player since he came on board. I trashed the pick. Holmgren is a wild card, but a year off and in the gym may do wonders for him. I think if the opportunity arises, they should look to package Giddy with picks for an All Star running mate for SGA and get to that 5/6 seed territory. Where you can really test yourself against contenders. They have a pretty nice collection of young role players
At some point you definitely have to learn to win before you can then learn to win in the playoffs.
It's a problem they faced in Philly.
You hard tank, draft picks are hit/miss and some take 3-5 years to develop.
By time those guys are any good they know nothing but losing and every vet has fled ship.
So it's a real challenge.

Thats why Ainge deserves kudos here IMO. Utah hasn't been bad at all. They can now sit a couple guys for 20 games and get into a solid top 8 pick area after being competitive most of the year.
I'd prefer to use most of my picks to build with vets.
Leave yourself a shot yearly to add a young draft stud but largely go get proven talent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kyrie has fit the Mavs needs so well.
The are playing so much faster and he gives them a deadly free throw shooter to closeout games.
They had Kyrie play off-ball a ton last night.
Mavs win tonight and they move up to 3rd in West.
2 games with Kyrie and without Luka and they beat the 3 and 5 seed on the road.
Those would have been 8-point losses a week ago.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
NFL should be taking notes. What a trade deadline. Bunch of fans just got reinvigorated. Would like to see more of this. NFL should extend their deadline.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Wouldnt be a bad thing. Wembanyama could be a 'chise player. I dont know if you guys have that yet. Alexander is excellent, but he might be a #2 on a good team. That might be what Holmgren ends up being as well
I won’t be mad if my Spurs get the #1 pick and grab him. No one knows better than the Spurs never to pass up a franchise big man.

But I’ve been reading more about him, and I think he’s going to go the same way as most of the taller talented big men. He already has some injury history for being that young.

But you could also be drafting the next Kareem Abdul Jabar. You gotta take a shot.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Such a weird season for the Dubs; from Draymond clocking Poole; Curry being repeatedly injured; to giving up on the Wiseman project and trading for GPII, only to have him fail his physical. Warriors have until Sunday to amend the trade or void it. What a predicament. Even if the trade was successful they would only have one player on the roster 6'-9" or taller (Looney).

I'm really shocked we got so little for Wiseman.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
NFL should be taking notes. What a trade deadline. Bunch of fans just got reinvigorated. Would like to see more of this. NFL should extend their deadline.
NBA trade deadline and off-season infinitely more exciting than NFL.
But long regular season can be drudgery.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Such a weird season for the Dubs; from Draymond clocking Poole; Curry being repeatedly injured; to giving up on the Wiseman project and trading for GPII, only to have him fail his physical. Warriors have until Sunday to amend the trade or void it. What a predicament. Even if the trade was successful they would only have one player on the roster 6'-9" or taller (Looney).

I'm really shocked we got so little for Wiseman.
Interior bigs lose value quick. Reminds me of when Philadelphia was getting rid of Jahlil Okafor. Only 2 three point attempts this year. It actually seemed like he shot a little as a rookie

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Challenge in NFL is the salary cap mechanisms. Everyone is running on future cap cash where the NBA is a true hit to cap day 1 so trades move off all that money making it far more appealing for bad terams to give up good players.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So I gotta ask the Mavericks fans…tampering aside because NYK definitely tampered, why did they allow Jalen Brunson to leave?

Did it just come down to the Knicks willingness to hire his dad? Did they never offer to match the deal NY offered? Was he viewed as not worth the money in a secondary ball handling role? I just don’t get it