2022 FIFA World Cup

joseephuss

Reaction score
Feel for them as they have run out their golden generation and may be down for a while now.
Really should have struck at WC or Euros 4, 6 or 8 years ago.
KdB saying they are too old is telling.

Yes, their best chances were in previous tournaments. It is so difficult to win a tournament, so I don't charge them too harshly for not winning one. I do judge them harshly for not at least making a final in either of the EURO or WC. I do think Martinez was lacking. He is a good manager, but not a great one. I suppose he will be back in the EPL next.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Morata is surprising me these last 2 matches. I still don't trust him, but he has done what is needed for Spain

joseephuss

Reaction score
Is Spain going to miss out? They need to put on some urgency and tie it up or hope the other match ends in a tie.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I'm was behind on the scores when I posted earlier while Costa Rica was still up. Germany coming back and winning helps Spain advance. Germany now overtakes Belgium as the biggest disappointment of the tournament thus far, but only slightly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Germany was in a tough spot. They had to really go for it try to get a goal spread.
But Germany and Belgium both out early.
Add it to Wales and Denmark 4th place finishes and not great WC from Europe just yet.

I still like Portugal v Brazil in the Final in my head but my heart def wants US versus England.

Flamma

Reaction score
Is it me or did that ball that Japan scored on look like it crossed the end line?

It looked to me like the entirety of the ball was out.

Edit.

From this picture the ball looks in. Even though the whole ball is beyond the line, part of it overhangs on the line.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok, so.

Does the group C winner (Poland, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico) play against Australia in the round of 16?

Next, will the winner of the USA vs Netherlands RD16 game play against the winner of RD16 Australia vs group C winner?

So it could be a doable path for the USA to get to the Final 4 if the above is correct.

If you consider beating Argentina doable, yes.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Japan have had a wild ride so far. Beat Germany and Spain, but lose to lowly Costa Rica in their group. There are some nice memes out there about just how close that ball was to going out of bounds. The best being with their flag. Fun team to watch.

Flamma

Reaction score
Japan have had a wild ride so far. Beat Germany and Spain, but lose to lowly Costa Rica in their group. There are some nice memes out there about just how close that ball was to going out of bounds. The best being with their flag. Fun team to watch.

Furboy in his initial post was spot on with this Japan team. I'm actually rooting for that team. I'm Spanish, but I've never been to Spain. I'm USA all the way. I would never root against the USA. But right now my 2nd favorite team is Japan. I love underdogs.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
That Switzerland Serbia game was great entertainment, I'd forgotten how hostile it was going to be due to Xhaka and Shaqiri's heritage.
Maeda for Japan is unlike any footballer I've ever seen. He's not technically great, or he'd be at a higher level than Celtic, but he's a decent enough player and his speed and workrate is genuinely incredible, their first against Spain came from him chasing the defence back about 40 yards and forcing the keeper into a hurried clearance.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Hehe, so far, most of my predictions have been correct. Only missed on Belgium, where Spain and Japan would finish, and Australia finishing ahead of Denmark on a predictor thing I was doing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That Switzerland Serbia game was great entertainment, I'd forgotten how hostile it was going to be due to Xhaka and Shaqiri's heritage.
Maeda for Japan is unlike any footballer I've ever seen. He's not technically great, or he'd be at a higher level than Celtic, but he's a decent enough player and his speed and workrate is genuinely incredible, their first against Spain came from him chasing the defence back about 40 yards and forcing the keeper into a hurried clearance.

I don't know if he'd go for this, but I'd love for Maeda to join Bournemouth. He would be brilliant for us, and it'd get him some Premier League action.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
With the FIFA World Cup starting next week, I think it's time to have a thread for our thoughts leading up to it and to discuss things during the matches. Of course, I'm going for England and the US. Here is my bracket for who I think advances to the Group 16:

Group A: Netherlands and Senegal (other nations in the group are Qatar and Ecuador) - nearly switched Senegal for Ecuador, but I feel confident about Senegal advancing and Mane is a world class- enough player to get them through.

Group B: England and USA (Other nations are Iran and Wales) - pretty easy this on paper. I don't think Iran advance, and Gareth Bale hasn't played a full match in a while, and he's Wales's best player, though Kieffer Moore is a good striker too (I'm a Bournemouth supporter haha).

Group C: Argentina and Mexico (other nations: Saudi Arabia and Poland) - pretty easy this too on paper.

Group D: France and Australia (other nations are Denmark and Tunisia) - France is winning this group. No question, they're the class of this group. Second place is tricky. I nearly put Denmark in because of Christian Erickson, but I think Australia are a consistent enough squad that they will finish second.

Group E (Group of Death): Germany and Japan (other nations Spain and Costa Rica) - providing an explanation here. Germany is the class of the group imo. I think they have one of the most complete teams this year. I have Japan going second because they always are sneaky good in WC play. They don't normally advance beyond the Quarter Finals, but you can usually count on them to finish 2nd and be in the Group 16.

Group F: Belgium and Croatia (other nations being Canada and Morocco) - Canada has done well to get to the WC, but I think Belgium and Croatia are better and advance.

I think the Semifinals will be Brazil, France, Germany, and Argentina with the Final being France and Germany. I think the result will be Germany 1-0.

How about for you all. Who do you think is winning the WC? Who are you cheering for? Who do you think is advancing from the groups?

As for this, I was actually nearly spot on for these groups! Get in!!!!

Only missed on Germany, Mexico (tbf, they hadn't missed advancing since the 80s, so not a bad miss), and Belgium!! Oh, and I actually did get the Australia prediction right here. Should've trusted myself a bit more there. Quite chuffed about my predictions so far.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My favorite player in the world is Kante and Maeda plays a very similar game.
I like zero about France or the French but Kante plays with so much pure joy and energy.
It is beautiful to watch.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As for this, I was actually nearly spot on for these groups! Get in!!!!

Only missed on Germany, Mexico (tbf, they hadn't missed advancing since the 80s, so not a bad miss), and Belgium!! Oh, and I actually did get the Australia prediction right here. Should've trusted myself a bit more there. Quite chuffed about my predictions so far.
That Germany miss hurts because you had them in the Finals but you could have made A LOT of money on Japan and Australia.
I wouldn't have argued Japan but Australia I did not see coming.
I expected Mexico to advance as well but they were a toss up with Poland and they were only skipped out by 1 goal in differential.
They lacked a bit of Final 3rd quality and it cost them.

Morocco and Australia were my biggest surprises.
US played almost exactly as I expected. I made a fair amount of cash off the draw with England and a few bucks off beating Iran.
Now I just don't know where they scare up a goal versus NED but perhaps a bit of magic from Pulisic to Reyna in the early 2nd half.

RFABR

Reaction score
This Netherlands team doesn't seem to have "it". They may still be favorites, but US can pull an upset today.

Flamma

Reaction score
I didn't get to catch any Morocco matches. Are they that good? 7 points is impressive. I love underdogs.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
This Netherlands team doesn't seem to have "it". They may still be favorites, but US can pull an upset today.
The Dutch will obviously be favourites but think it's one of the closer ties. That game, Croatia v Japan, Spain v Morocco and Portugal v Switzerland I wouldn't be shocked if at least 2 of the favourites get knocked out