CFZ 2022 season is another crossroads moment for this organization

CCBoy

Reaction score
When has Jerry done something he hasn’t gotten credit for? He deserves credit for hiring Jimmy for sure. What kind of “on the field” accomplishments has he earned lately that he hasn’t received credit for? I’m being totally serious.
Jerry came up as an intense salesman. Jimmy was a good coach and the top of the rung when he arrived in the NFL.

Too bad that top level egos couldn't share the views at the top, and set records unattainable except for New England and Belichick.

fivetwos

Reaction score
27 years of "good enough culture.". I'm sick of it. Jerry needs to establish an excellence culture. Hire a HC that's only determined to win SBs and nothing else.
I'm with that.

Until the onwer isnt the face of the franchise, the HC here will have to overcome certain things here that they wouldn't elsewhere.

Not saying they can't win until Jerry is carted off, but it's just that much more difficult.....something he just cannot see, or refuses to.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with that.

Until the onwer isnt the face of the franchise, the HC here will have to overcome certain things here that they wouldn't elsewhere.

Not saying they can't win until Jerry is carted off, but it's just that much more difficult.....something he just cannot see, or refuses to.
Oh he sees it very well. Just as he sees himself in that GM chair.

He does not need or want to win bad enough to make changes and there is an error in thinking here that another would do better at GM. He is not the worst GM in the NFL. He might be mediocre but he is not a bad GM.

We really do not know if this team would do any better, or even as good, with another GM. And that really doesn't matter because he is incapable of being a hands-off owner. He bought the team to do just what he's doing.

fivetwos

Reaction score

He does not need or want to win bad enough to make changes and there is an error in thinking here that another would do better at GM. He is not the worst GM in the NFL. He might be mediocre but he is not a bad GM.

We really do not know if this team would do any better, or even as good, with another GM. And that really doesn't matter because he is incapable of being a hands-off owner. He bought the team to do just what he's doing.
I think you're right....on the first part anyway....

He thinks so highly of himself that he truly believes he is the best man for the job.

He is insanely successful in other areas of life, so he concludes this football thing is so easy, why not that?

'They would have to run any major decision by me anyway so why not have the advantage of cutting out that middleman?'

That logic is flawed beyond any reasonable persons comprehension.

If nothing else, repeated failure would promote change in the heads of most people, but several personality disorders are holding our team hostage.

I can't stand the dude and that's clear, but I don't wish for the day he is gone.....I just want him to shut his damn mouth, get off the radio, and make it clear that the HC is in charge.

He wont do it, and it's undermining overall...and creates the culture that most complain about.

Yet, every year I remain hopeful they can overcome this and at least make an NFCCG appearance, and every time we do make the playoffs we seem to show up unprepared/outcoached.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are less than 90 days from the start of the 2022 NFL season and this year shapes up to be another crossroads moment for this organization.

As a team/organization, the Cowboys have been at this place 7 times in the last 22 seasons. Can they follow up a playoff season with another? They have only done it once in the last 22 seasons. 2006 and 2007- that’s it.

Why is having back to back playoff seasons important? There are multiple reasons:

• It would break the bad habit of killing organizational momentum. Back to back playoff seasons show your organization is capable of staying competitive for more than just once in a while. It also shows your organization can build something that lasts longer than a season.
  • It would establish Mike McCarthy as capable of leading this team beyond what Garrett or Phillips could. If the Cowboys don’t make the playoffs in 2022, Big Mac will have only made the playoffs 1 of 3 seasons. And I’m almost certain he would be fired.
  • Failure to make the playoffs in 2022 would once again reinforce that JJ is incapable of hiring a HC who is able to building a winning culture. I don’t think Jerry has ever valued the importance of having a HC that can command the room AND the organization. He’s only hired two that could do this- Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. The first brought us SB winning rosters and culture; the latter was the last to provide a culture capable of having back to back playoff seasons. (Yes I know Phillips was the coach in 2007, but those were Parcells’ players)
IMO, the culture is what’s killing this organization. The unaccountable culture the Jones boys have created is by far the biggest challenge for this team to overcome. Making the playoffs in back to back seasons would be a huge step toward this team being playoff relevant again.

None of us know whether or not they will. But it will sure tell us a lot about whether or not we are an organization that can ever be more than occasionally relevant. Here’s hoping 2022 will be different.

I think that crossroads applies to several players as well. Big money players in particular like Dak and Zeke. If that duo fails to produce this year, one or both are unlikely to be here long after.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're right....on the first part anyway....

He thinks so highly of himself that he truly believes he is the best man for the job.

He is insanely successful in other areas of life, so he concludes this football thing is so easy, why not that?

'They would have to run any major decision by me anyway so why not have the advantage of cutting out that middleman?'

That logic is flawed beyond any reasonable persons comprehension.

If nothing else, repeated failure would promote change in the heads of most people, but several personality disorders are holding our team hostage.

I can't stand the dude and that's clear, but I don't wish for the day he is gone.....I just want him to shut his damn mouth, get off the radio, and make it clear that the HC is in charge.

He wont do it, and it's undermining overall...and creates the culture that most complain about.

Yet, every year I remain hopeful they can overcome this and at least make an NFCCG appearance, and every time we do make the playoffs we seem to show up unprepared/outcoached.
Agree, Booger takes this to not only a different level but one never even approached before. He has made his face the face of his franchise and even Crazy Al did not take it that far. Al actually did not seek out the spotlight, he just agreed to talk when in it.

This team is all about ego to Booger. The bent ego Johnson gave him that he keeps trying to straighten out but only falls further back in his attempts. His petty handling of Johnson in the ROH is a shining example of just how small minded he can be.

The need to try and make a stroke of luck look like one of genius like Parsons is all about credit and ego.

I do not like him as a person, really don't care about the GM thing, and I like it that Jimmy Johnson haunts him to the point he will make himself look childish and selfish. He must have had a fitful night when Johnson made the HOF and now that ROH isn't even critical.

And he knows that Johnson made it on football acumen and accomplishment and he made it because he showed them that loyalty and long time relationships do not matter in matters of money. Cash trumps character.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is him receiving credit so important to you?

It isn't important to me. I was just making a true statement, that happens way more than not.
Why is it so important to people they can't give him credit nor ever say anything good.
Jerry is Jerry, fans will like him or not. I really rather him stay in the background and not talk, but not going to hate the guy for it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that crossroads applies to several players as well. Big money players in particular like Dak and Zeke. If that duo fails to produce this year, one or both are unlikely to be here long after.
That was the first thing I thought of when the unthinkable began to happen, teams trading franchise QB's away.

Booger is a follower of the NFL trends and now that egg has been broken open and the trade has now surpassed the FA and draft to quickly solve problems like the Rams solved.

All of the NFL owners have realized they do not have to own problems, they can just rent them.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It isn't important to me. I was just making a true statement, that happens way more than not.
Why is it so important to people they can't give him credit nor ever say anything good.
Jerry is Jerry, fans will like him or not. I really rather him stay in the background and not talk, but not going to hate the guy for it.
I do not hate him for that or even hate him. I do not like him, the person, but I will give him credit for good moves but I will never like him as the person I know him to be.

I actually view him as the players I have had to look the other way on in the past, Sanders, Owens, Pacman, Hardy, Irvin and Gregory. I never liked them but I did tolerate them being part of my team.

And I gave him credit for changing out the voices in his head like Lacewell and actually hiring a football guy like McClay and actually listening to him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, Booger takes this to not only a different level but one never even approached before. He has made his face the face of his franchise and even Crazy Al did not take it that far. Al actually did not seek out the spotlight, he just agreed to talk when in it.

This team is all about ego to Booger. The bent ego Johnson gave him that he keeps trying to straighten out but only falls further back in his attempts. His petty handling of Johnson in the ROH is a shining example of just how small minded he can be.

The need to try and make a stroke of luck look like one of genius like Parsons is all about credit and ego.

I do not like him as a person, really don't care about the GM thing, and I like it that Jimmy Johnson haunts him to the point he will make himself look childish and selfish. He must have had a fitful night when Johnson made the HOF and now that ROH isn't even critical.

And he knows that Johnson made it on football acumen and accomplishment and he made it because he showed them that loyalty and long time relationships do not matter in matters of money. Cash trumps character.
I’ve always been amazed at the strange psychological insecurity Jerry Jones carries with him at all times.

He’s a brilliant businessman who is a self made billionaire- who also cannot handle even the slightest hint of someone besides himself getting credit for his team’s accomplishments. In short, JJ is the most insecure billionaire I’ve ever seen. Not surprisingly, the winning owners of the last 26 SBs hired someone besides themselves to run their football operations. That’s not a coincidence.

He’s never been able to see and understand that the time in his ownership when he received the MOST credit for playoff success happened when he hired Jimmy and allowed him to run things like a normal strong HC. So the very thing he craves has really only happened when he was NOT the centerpiece of everything as he is today.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
one thing you can count on in here is bob and gregg hating on jerry threads. come on bob, you need to try some new stuff like gregg trying to troll dak threads. lol.

lol, almost kidding.

Mannix

Reaction score
Funny how every year alot of people still get pumped up again. Whatever Jerry does in that department, he does it right.

I definately won't shake off "the doldrums". Not this year. I'll stay "meh" the whole regular season, no matter how many wins they'll rack up. Only when they win their first play off game I'll "get with the program". Will probably be the most relaxing NFL season for me ever. :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post of the week

GINeric

Reaction score
The East, despite the expected rise of philly, is still weak.
I fully expect me Cowboys to capture the East (again) but be bullied in the playoffs.
Crossroads?
It doesn't come up until we are again full of ourselves as East champs and then have to face grownup teams.
Then we look for the 27th crossroads.

In a way, im tired of us playing in a weak division. I wish the East was tougher like the days of old because it made us tougher. We need one or two of the teams in the East to get better so that we can be pushed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
one thing you can count on in here is bob and gregg hating on jerry threads. come on bob, you need to try some new stuff like gregg trying to troll dak threads. lol.

lol, almost kidding.
I hear you. But here’s the thing- I don’t “hate” Jerry. I hate the last qtr century of results we’ve had for my favorite team. And the main reason we’ve had those results is JJ. I don’t think Jerry is some evil villain rubbing his hands together while laughing at fans. I just think he has personal issues that don’t allow him to run his organization like those winning SBs. It’s frustrating.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a way, im tired of us playing in a weak division. I wish the East was tougher like the days of old because it made us tougher. We need one or two of the teams in the East to get better so that we can be pushed.

According to many on here, those teams are already better than us. :muttley:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hear you. But here’s the thing- I don’t “hate” Jerry. I hate the last qtr century of results we’ve had for my favorite team. And the main reason we’ve had those results is JJ. I don’t think Jerry is some evil villain rubbing his hands together while laughing at fans. I just think he has personal issues that don’t allow him to run his organization like those winning SBs. It’s frustrating.
I appreciate you Bob and was just picking with you. This team will never change because of the owner, he will have to luck into winning two playoff games.

kskboys

Reaction score
McCarthy has gotten a raw deal. Aside from the last 2 months last year he has not been put in a position to succeed. All the injuries year 1 were beyond his control and this year they stripped the roster of pro bowl talent due to locker room problems and didn’t replace it.

This is not a super bowl roster. The Cowboys season actually rests on…..Jaylon Hurts. If he takes a big leap for Philly they could walk to the NFC East title
I think you mean if he gets hurt and Minshew or Strong takes over!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score

A guy that insists on terrible coaches and refuses to watch film/do research on draft picks is a good GM? I'm afraid I have a very different definition of "good" than you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!