3rd Round: No. 88
5th Round: Comp Pick (Connor McGovern)
6th Round: Comp Pick (Dalton Schultz)
7th Round: No. 234 (Raiders)
7th Round: No. 245
we have to get a 4th

kskboys

Reaction score
both Landry and BP said give a draft class three years before final judgement.
However despite what some want to bleat, a class can be balled a bust quicker than that and that has happened Our draft classes in the late 90's stank and we knew it right away
2000 gave us ONE good player in Mario Edwards and that was known in one year. If that is not a bust what is?

The problem with the 2023 class was that we went for need over everything else for the first two picks; and both do not look promising.
Smith is already a problem with this whole weight loss thing; the boys do not seem to know what they want to do with him
Schoon was another NEED pick that was NOT NEEDED and does not look great either
Overshawn MIGHT be the one player in the draft that really shines but we will not know for AT LEAST another year
Richards so far, to be blunt, seems to have the most promise and it is not huge
No we didn't. TE was absolutely positively not a need. It was a weird frickin' pick that made no sense.

Mazi was overdrafted for sure and can be labeled a need pick.

Don't just call everything a need pick because you prefer BPA. BPA is not a draft strategy, it's a fan thing that no team uses. Taco was BPA.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
A class cannot be a bust after one year. A class can only be considered a bust after year 3.
Please site the source for this. Who decided on three years? You only need one year and the eye test to see that 2023 was a terrible draft.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Year one was a bust. Over half the class was inactive most or all of the year.

Maybe Zimmer can cuss at Mazi everyday during camp and he will turn it around.

Schoonmaker could be OK, but we can find those TEs in the 4th.

Right now, the arrow is pointing down.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No we didn't. TE was absolutely positively not a need. It was a weird frickin' pick that made no sense.

Mazi was overdrafted for sure and can be labeled a need pick.

Don't just call everything a need pick because you prefer BPA. BPA is not a draft strategy, it's a fan thing that no team uses. Taco was BPA.
This just in. No team uses BPA in the draft.

Confirmed by.....a fan.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What’s you opinions. For me I say yes, the complete class minus overshown only cuz we don’t really know about him was a bust.
How do you over come that. How far does that set this team back?
so far it was a special teams draft, just like 2009. if none of the work out, its going to set us back a few years and given where we are as a team, its going to end in a tail spin, specially that we have limited draft picks this year.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
I say you do everything to try and get two day 1 picks this year. Including trading next years numbers 1. I would like to get eddgerin cooper and center Barton. Jpj will be gone by pick 15

Adreme

Reaction score
the writing his on the wall
Not really. It’s not even in pencil yet in a notebook. We can talk writing on a wall after next year but rookie years tend to be varied. Obviously you prefer good immediately but it’s very common for poor to mediocre rookies to become great pro players.

Adreme

Reaction score
Please site the source for this. Who decided on three years? You only need one year and the eye test to see that 2023 was a terrible draft.
If you think you can know a class after 1 year and how the players will develop then congratulations you are the greatest GM of all time because none of them can do that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We got nothing out of that draft class this season. Our first two picks were flops. The jury is still out but it’s not looking good when pretty much every player was a disappointment. Overshown showed the most promise until he got injured in camp.

reddyuta

Reaction score
an unmitigated disaster worse than the special team draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not really. It’s not even in pencil yet in a notebook. We can talk writing on a wall after next year but rookie years tend to be varied. Obviously you prefer good immediately but it’s very common for poor to mediocre rookies to become great pro players.
It’s not looking good for Mazi or Schoonmaker. There wasn’t even a flash from either one of them. Mazi was a liability when he was on the field. He only got 4 snaps against Green Bay. Schoonmaker was a complete waste of a second round pick. The Cowboys have used a second round pick on four TEs since the early 2000s and he was the least productive of the bunch as a rookie and he didn’t have a Jason Witten ahead of him.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
What’s you opinions. For me I say yes, the complete class minus overshown only cuz we don’t really know about him was a bust.
How do you over come that. How far does that set this team back?
Way too soon to say.
Need a couple more years to grade this draft.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Mazi is looking red-flag level bad, Schoonmaker is getting the Marty B treatment in the best case, Overshown missed the year, and I don't have a lot of confidence in any of the day 3 guys. Maybe Richards.

If anyone in this class provides value, it's going to be from a healthy Overshown or a majorly turned around Mazi. But chances are looking high that the 2023 draft will be a complete whiff.

plymkr

Reaction score
Huh? The Cowboys will have 7 as normal.

1st Round: No. 24
2nd Round: No. 56
3rd Round: No. 88
5th Round: Comp Pick (Connor McGovern)
6th Round: Comp Pick (Dalton Schultz)
7th Round: No. 234 (Raiders)
7th Round: No. 245
Gotcha, good call. I wasn’t thinking about the comp picks. I thought we just had 4 picks total.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Mazi may never be the stud DT everyone lusts for, but I don't think he will be a bust. He'll be a contributor at some level. Power positions are a big jump from college to pros. I'll bet he's better next season.

Schoon was a baffling pick, but he did develop into a decent blocking TE by the end of the season. Over-drafted yes, but hardly worthless.

Overshown has potential, but can he stay healthy? I have doubts...

Imagine if Dallas had taken a stud RB in the second round, instead of a 3rd string developmental TE. That might have actually made a real difference last season. Ignoring the RB position with Pollard coming off injury was the biggest mistake of the draft. There was an excellent OL prospect available there too.