2023 draft class a bust?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct, glad you were able to get it!!!!!!!

Every once in a while in the mid to later rounds a team will just take a player willy nilly because they consider them BPA. Mostly, it's a fan trying to simply the process simply because there is so much going into drafting, it's difficult to comprehend w/o tons of study and evaluation, which most aren't going to do.
Thanks for the info. I'll tell the league. They may make a statement when they stop laughing.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A complete F grade 1st year from what is looking like a horrible draft class.

I still have at least some hope for
Mazi
Overshown
Richards
Deuce

No hope
Schoonmaker
Fehoko
Scott
Brooks

kskboys

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll tell the league. They may make a statement when they stop laughing.
They laugh at you? So sorry, dude, maybe get better at information and stop falling for fan hoopla and they'll stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
What’s you opinions. For me I say yes, the complete class minus overshown only cuz we don’t really know about him was a bust.
How do you over come that. How far does that set this team back?
It doesn't set them back very far. They got the 2 spot and have a chance to be right back in it again.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Depends somewhat on your definition of bust. Can Overshown be bust if he never played a single regular season game? Does having an injury make a player a bust? I'd say no, but if you think yes, then a bust, sure. But for me it's like this:

Smith. Yes, for a first round pick, hardly played, ineffective when he was in. Played less and less as the year went on. Supposedly all he had to do was take on blockers to free up other players and didn't do that.
Schoonmaker. Yes. Hardly played. Second round picks should make some kind of an impact. He had none.
Overshown. No, got injured, so its like he wasn't even drafted, 2024 will be his rookie year. IF he doesn't get hurt again. Hopefully not another Sean Lee.
Fehoko. Yes. No impact whatsoever.
Scott. Who? Yes.
Vaughn. Yes. Should never have been drafted. Undersized, not really a place for him on the team. Other players can do the same things he can.
Brooks. No. Showed something, good size, good hands. Looks like he can get open and make the tough catch. Needs seasoning.

That's based solely on this year, if you want to give a yes or no answer to if they're a bust. But like many here have said, can't judge most draftees by their first year. All deserve a chance to see if they can develop....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This just in. No team uses BPA in the draft.

Confirmed by.....a fan.
Have to take it team by team. Why draft a great wr, for example, if you already have 3 All Pro receviers on the team? Even if the wr was the bpa. Just ask the Lions about drafting a "bpa" 3 years in a row, all wrs. How'd that work out?

It's usually a combination of both bpa and need, that's why they have a draft board, you input all the attributes of the player, give them a grade then you go (generally) from 1 to whatever and draft who you can get....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Forgive me, but I had higher expectations than 8 catches for 65 yards.
He only had 15 targets. You can't catch what isn't throw your way.

We saw that with Lamb and Cooks both this season. We saw it with Gallup in the playoff game. Throw them the ball and the catches will come. Same with Schoon. He was 9th on the team in targets this year. Which play ahead of him would you take targets away from and give to him?

Skyy Moore was 9th in receptions on the Chiefs who just won the super bowl. I doubt the Chiefs fans are saying he needed more targets this year.

Mcsports

Reaction score
Year one was a bust. Over half the class was inactive most or all of the year.

Maybe Zimmer can cuss at Mazi everyday during camp and he will turn it around.

Schoonmaker could be OK, but we can find those TEs in the 4th.

Right now, the arrow is pointing down.
Excellent assessment.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He only had 15 targets. You can't catch what isn't throw your way.

We saw that with Lamb and Cooks both this season. We saw it with Gallup in the playoff game. Throw them the ball and the catches will come. Same with Schoon. He was 9th on the team in targets this year. Which play ahead of him would you take targets away from and give to him?

Skyy Moore was 9th in receptions on the Chiefs who just won the super bowl. I doubt the Chiefs fans are saying he needed more targets this year.
He only had 15 targets because Jake Ferguson established himself at the position. That limited his opportunities in the passing game along with CeeDee’s great season. Plus Dak didn’t appear to have much confidence in him. Schoonmaker was a wasted second round pick and won’t see a second contract.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think if they left Mazi at 330 lbs he might have been more productive by the end of the year. I have no idea why they made him lose that much weight. His late start on the snap is not a weight issue, it is a reaction time issue.

Schoonmaker I think will be okay at some point. I wouldn't have drafted a TE there but they have him so we'll see what happens. If I were him I would be working on my blocking, especially run blocking. But I think he has the ability to be a decent 2nd TE. His problem is with Ferguson he will have trouble getting throws his way.

Fehoko is an interesting pick. They did not need him at DE, but maybe they will in 2024 if they lose Fowler and Armstrong to free agency. Fehoko is a little rough around the edges but his strength is his motor. My gut feelin gis he will be better than Golston, which isn't saying a lot but I think he will contribute.

The 2023 draft was really about depth. The Cowboys were not looking for starters.
Mazi has a slow get off, they probably thought that would make him faster. The problem with Mazi is between the ears. He has no anticipation and is always 1 second too slow after the ball is snapped.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He only had 15 targets because Jake Ferguson established himself at the position. That limited his opportunities in the passing game along with CeeDee’s great season. Plus Dak didn’t appear to have much confidence in him. Schoonmaker was a wasted second round pick and won’t see a second contract.
Then it's still bad scouting not knowing what you have on the roster. They thought his blocking ability will help the run game. Not sure how many 2 TE sets we planned to run.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A complete F grade 1st year from what is looking like a horrible draft class.

I still have at least some hope for
Mazi
Overshown
Richards
Deuce

No hope
Schoonmaker
Fehoko
Scott
Brooks
I have no hope for duece. He is a bust.
I have hope for fehoko and.schoinmaker and brooks as contributors