2024-25 NBA Season Thread

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I'm so excited that the NBA season is right around the corner, even more so this season with how the Cowboys season is going. I'm a big San Antonio Spurs fan so going from the dismal outlook of the Cowboys to the excitement of the Wemby led Spurs is a very welcomed feeling.

Some big changes in the NBA during the off-season, quite a few interesting developments and definitely a few teams I'm curious to watch. I want to hear some of ya'll sound off about the changes, your teams, did they get better( or worse), who are the contenders/pretenders........

As a Spurs fan, love the addition of CP3 and Barnes, Wemby looked great at the Olympics and has added 25lbs of muscle since last season, Keldon looks slimmer, energized, disappointed that Vassell is gonna miss the first few games of the season, happy Mamu is back, happy Sochan will be playing his natural position. The West is still tough and I don't know if we'll make the playoffs, but we should, at least be in contention for a play-in spot. Go Spurs Go!!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I have been thankful for college football. But yes, definitely looking forward to the NBA as well.

Cowboys fans have been saying record seasons don't matter and now they are 100% correct. I have had to turn off two games. That makes the first time since 2016.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I'm so excited that the NBA season is right around the corner, even more so this season with how the Cowboys season is going. I'm a big San Antonio Spurs fan so going from the dismal outlook of the Cowboys to the excitement of the Wemby led Spurs is a very welcomed feeling.

Some big changes in the NBA during the off-season, quite a few interesting developments and definitely a few teams I'm curious to watch. I want to hear some of ya'll sound off about the changes, your teams, did they get better( or worse), who are the contenders/pretenders........

As a Spurs fan, love the addition of CP3 and Barnes, Wemby looked great at the Olympics and has added 25lbs of muscle since last season, Keldon looks slimmer, energized, disappointed that Vassell is gonna miss the first few games of the season, happy Mamu is back, happy Sochan will be playing his natural position. The West is still tough and I don't know if we'll make the playoffs, but we should, at least be in contention for a play-in spot. Go Spurs Go!!!
Im very interested to see whats Pops end game with Sochan is. I feel there is a plan there and Pop plays chess

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Im very interested to see whats Pops end game with Sochan is. I feel there is a plan there and Pop plays chess
I truly believe that Pop went into last season with no intentions of trying to win and that it was all about development. The team was so young and no where ready to compete, it made no sense(long term) to waste valuable assets to bring in a vet or two that wouldn't be here in 3-4 seasons, so he used the season to coach and develop. Point Sochan was crazy, but Pop sees something in Sochan and used it to develop his ball handling, court vision and spacing. I think it will pay dividends down the road.

For at least the first third of the season, Pop never even ran plays for Wemby, again part of the plan. The media and some of the fans were frustrated and questioned Pop, but Wemby is so unique in that he can literally excel in anything on the court and wanted him to learn the NBA game, give him the freedom to experiment, make mistakes and then figure out what to work on and how best to use his unique skillset. I thought it pretty brilliant, most of the time....lol. By the end of the season, we caught a glimpse of the original plan come together. The last quarter of the season, Spurs were playing great, beat some good teams and ended on a positive note.

I had zero expectations about our record, I just wanted to see how the team developed and improve on the court. Sounds crazy especially since it was one of the worst Spurs seasons ever, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole season. The youngsters improved, played hard, played as a team, never got down on themselves, showed a lot of grit. The team has a ridiculous amount of 1st rd draft picks over the next 6-7 years which gives them a ton of flexibility. I came away from the end of the season, excited about their future.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I like some of the things Stephon Castle is showing. Kid was a winner in college. Hoping for another Kawhi with his defense and hopefully developing the offense. But I’ll settle for a Bruce Bowen too.

CP3 gonna feel like he’s 21 again lobbing that ball to Wemby who can get it just about anywhere. Read that Wemby has really rocked himself up in the offseason. Was a big reason why France came close to beating the US.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like some of the things Stephon Castle is showing. Kid was a winner in college. Hoping for another Kawhi with his defense and hopefully developing the offense. But I’ll settle for a Bruce Bowen too.

CP3 gonna feel like he’s 21 again lobbing that ball to Wemby who can get it just about anywhere. Read that Wemby has really rocked himself up in the offseason. Was a big reason why France came close to beating the US.
Ill throw one out there for Castle. Celtics Rondo. If he is a 1 that is. Like Rondo early in his career his defensive game is there now to be an impact player. Rondo used to embarass guys like Gilbert Arenas. Castle's offensive game is also about where Rondo's was early in his career and could develop on the same timeline. Year 1 he was just good enough to contribute. Year 2 he developed as a playmaker (starting PG on Bostons 2008 chip team) year 3 he arrived as a catalytic player.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Ill throw one out there for Castle. Celtics Rondo. If he is a 1 that is. Like Rondo early in his career his defensive game is there now to be an impact player. Rondo used to embarass guys like Gilbert Arenas. Castle's offensive game is also about where Rondo's was early in his career and could develop on the same timeline. Year 1 he was just good enough to contribute. Year 2 he developed as a playmaker (starting PG on Bostons 2008 chip team) year 3 he arrived as a catalytic player.
He has one of the best mentors he could possibly have at the position with CP3. I’ll take Rondo comparisons too. :thumbup:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think the East is gonna be real interesting this season. Boston is still the favs, but Knicks made some nice moves, think KAT was a real nice pickup for them. 76ers are pretty interesting too, good emerging young players, added PG and Gordon should be a solid role player for them and hopefully Embiid can stay healthy. 76ers also signed the player I was really hoping the Spurs would pickup, Yabusele, "The Dancing Bear".

Mikexike

Reaction score
I think the East is gonna be real interesting this season. Boston is still the favs, but Knicks made some nice moves, think KAT was a real nice pickup for them. 76ers are pretty interesting too, good emerging young players, added PG and Gordon should be a solid role player for them and hopefully Embiid can stay healthy. 76ers also signed the player I was really hoping the Spurs would pickup, Yabusele, "The Dancing Bear".
Great game tonight in the east, Will the Knicks spoil the ring ceremony for the Celtics?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Great start to the season for the champs. Tied 3 point record against likely their biggest threat, and thats with Pritchard ice cold. Looked like they were in playoff form on both sides of the ball

Wouldn't be too discouraged if I was a Knicks fan though. Unsustainable game for C's. The C's made no moves with their roster in the offseason, and the Knicks have two new starters. It may take a couple weeks to really build that chemistry. Game doesnt forshadow anything for them

RonWashington

Reaction score
Klay Thompson buries 6 treys as a new Mav in a double digit win over the Spurs . Very nice pickup in the off-season .

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Spurs held strong first 2 quarters but lost it in the 3rd. Mavs are pretty damn scary if Klay, Kylie and Doncic all in peak form. Klay was killing Spurs and kept them out range rest of second half. Wemby felt out of sync, not same dominator who ended the season.