2025 could have even more holes on roster

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
All this is already taken into consideration by Spotrac. If Dallas does nothing, they have 83M in cap space. If they resign Dak, he won't be a 40M dead cap, he'll probably be anywhere between a 15-25M cap hit. If they sign Lamb, he probably be around a 10-15M cap hit. They have a ton of space.
Not for 29 free agents. 83m over 29 free agents is about 2.75 mil per player. Given how Dak and CD will lessen that figure it’s going to be a lot of rookies and UDFAs

doomsday9084

Reaction score
One of the things that crossed my mind was that this draft was yet another sign that the team is looking at this year as a lost year. Kneeland looks like a long term DLaw replacement, Beebe looks like a Martin replacement (if he can't play C), Guyton is a project but is replacing Tyron, the CB is another body to replace Lewis, etc. They weren't filling current holes as much as they were filling future holes.

IMO, if you are expecting great things from the Cowboys, the next year or two is going to be a disappointment for you.

From my perspective, I think it was obvious that the door slammed shut on the current team against Green Bay. I'm glad the Jones boys didn't double down on it and just make the rebuild more painful like they did with the dynasty Cowboys (2 1sts for Galloway). By eating a bunch of salary this year with Dak and drafting for the long term, the team will be in position to bounce up relatively quickly.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
After this year Dallas likely loses:

DLaw (replace with Kneeland?)
Cooks
Osa
Martin (replace with Bass)
Lewis
Kendricks

Plus of course Dak and whoever the RB is.

So going into next year the Cowboys will be at the minimum without a starting:
WR2
DT
CB3 (Maybe Carson/Scott step up)
MLB
RB

And the punter is also up.

This year Dallas lost some starters but really their depth was crippled. Next year 5 big starters are almost for sure gone with another 2 hoping they can be replaced by current guys on the roster.

Given the money that has to go to Dak and Lamb next year if the FO spends the same way or doesn’t spend, how do the holes get plugged?

As for depth a total of 29 guys’ contracts are up which is nearly double the 16 that left this year. So buckle up. This year may seem like a super team compared to next year.
That's why we need to clear that Dead Money on Dak, by cutting him Pre-June and clearing his hit in 2024.
2025, we'll we in a hood position...Maybe to extend some of the above (and/or consider making a bid for Dak when he hits the market).

Flamma

Reaction score
Not for 29 free agents. 83m over 29 free agents is about 2.75 mil per player. Given how Dak and CD will lessen that figure it’s going to be a lot of rookies and UDFAs
I'm trying to tell you this because you brought it up. If they sign Dak and Lamb to new contracts next season, it's not going to count anything against that 83M. You can see why, can you not?

The 2025 roster already has Dak at a 40M dead cap, and we have 83M in space. If they resign Dak instead, and he's a 25M cap hit, that gives Dallas 98M in space. If they sign Lamb, and his 2025 cap hit is 15M, we're back down to 83M in space and we signed both players. Not a single dime came off the space.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I'm trying to tell you this because you brought it up. If they sign Dak and Lamb to new contracts next season, it's not going to count anything against that 83M. You can see why, can you not?

The 2025 roster already has Dak at a 40M dead cap, and we have 83M in space. If they resign Dak instead, and he's a 25M cap hit, that gives Dallas 98M in space. If they sign Lamb, and his 2025 cap hit is 15M, we're back down to 83M in space and we signed both players. Not a single dime came off the space.
I’ve heard for Dak if they resign him the dead cap is 26 mil plus whatever the new cap number . So it’s either 40 if they don’t resign him or 26 + new number which may end up around 40. Again someone more skilled at contracts can specify how low the first year can become.

No matter what the concerning number is the 27 free agents at minimum that have to be dealt with, assuming both Dak and CD are back.