25 years of roster building- what it reveals

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since Day 1 on 2-25-1989 the Dallas Cowboys have been all about one person. And that only changed with the success under Jimmy and why he was shown the door. No one can be larger than Jethro,

The Cowboys as long as our owner has breathe will not be more about anyone or anything than him. For better or worse until we part this world.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What I know for certain is that this division being so awful for so long enabled Jerry to keep his Garrett fantasy going for way longer than it should have.
Maybe so but the Garrett situation was about so much more than that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By the way, did you ever go back and compare the data you put forth to rip Jerry and the FO with the other 3 teams in the NFC East over the same time span? Or, do you have your scapegoat and are content with ‘no ring for 25 years, Jerry bad.’

I am going through the annual evaluation with my supervisor now. Like everyone else, I prefer a fair and honest evaluation.
Is your supervisor comparing you to all of the other employees on your level as you are this team?

Most fans don't care what the other teams are doing....unless it's good.

NFC titles over the last 25 years
PHL 9 6 NFCCG 1 ring
DAL 7 0 NFCCG
NYG 5 3 NFCCG 2 rings
WAS 4 0 NFCCG

The Cowboys are a little better than the WFT over the last 25 years. Congrats to us and our unaccountable owner and to those that support him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We are all rooting for our front office and ownerships success while pointing out their flaws holding them accountable.

And our criticism is not just of the results but in the dysfunctional manner they often conduct their football operations which is a contributing factor to the product and results. Not to mention the image of Cowboys Football which has been tarnished this era.

And the team assembled this year was similar to last years 8-8 team with the exception of the coaching staff. There was really very little that provided this season was going to be marginally improved beyond the usual hype which often surrounds this franchise.

As far as the talent this team has stars at the key position which often presents the hype we are a talented roster . We have an offensively talented roster which even as it was setting records early on in the season as one of the top offenses wasn’t able to muster more than a 1-3 record. Mostly because of a horrid defense which has continually thwarted the success of this franchise throughout this era. And why this team is not as soundly built as some want to claim despite a few stars at the key positions.

Which supports our priorities under this dysfunctionally ran organization as usual which our owner honestly and openly stated a couple weeks ago his intent and or goal is to remain “ relevant and interesting “. This ownerships intent to wear both hats as owner and GM continues to be a conflict of interest for Cowboys Football and is the core cause for its lack of more success this era.
Well said and agreed.

The most recent example of Jerry tripping over himself this situation with this defense.

Garrett had to go. That was clear. Jerry and son were out of time there with the fans.

But WHY bring in a HC (after interviewing basically ONE) that wanted to run a defense we didn't come close to having the personnel for??

How does no one in the building recognize this??

So the solution is to keep MM and bring in Quinn.

Come on.

It's the same mix and match of things that don't mix and match.

The ONLY thing I see as a positive in the immediate future is the division is still a mess.

That'll get them as far as yet another divisional round blowout at best after Quinn "fixes" everything.

It all goes back to having no organizational philosophy (other than being apprehensive about other teams FA). Just get this guy and that guy and throw it all in the pot and be shocked when the stew tastes like crap.

Edit....let me be clear. MM himself could be ok. I like Quinn. Not sure I like the mix of those two when he swore he wouldn't go to a "one call" defense which Quinn seems to run.

Same as I never understood the MM/Moore match up. Makes little sense

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are all rooting for our front office and ownerships success while pointing out their flaws holding them accountable.

And our criticism is not just of the results but in the dysfunctional manner they often conduct their football operations which is a contributing factor to the product and results. Not to mention the image of Cowboys Football which has been tarnished this era.

And the team assembled this year was similar to last years 8-8 team with the exception of the coaching staff. There was really very little that provided this season was going to be marginally improved beyond the usual hype which often surrounds this franchise.

As far as the talent this team has stars at the key position which often presents the hype we are a talented roster . We have an offensively talented roster which even as it was setting records early on in the season as one of the top offenses wasn’t able to muster more than a 1-3 record. Mostly because of a horrid defense which has continually thwarted the success of this franchise throughout this era. And why this team is not as soundly built as some want to claim despite a few stars at the key positions.

Which supports our priorities under this dysfunctionally ran organization as usual which our owner honestly and openly stated a couple weeks ago his intent and or goal is to remain “ relevant and interesting “. This ownerships intent to wear both hats as owner and GM continues to be a conflict of interest for Cowboys Football and is the core cause for its lack of more success this era.
I don't agree about that bolded part. This fandom rewards mediocrity and enables ineptitude. In that regard he is exactly like PT Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute". Which was not said by him but about his ability to market and promote.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Is your supervisor comparing you to all of the other employees on your level as you are this team?

Most fans don't care what the other teams are doing....unless it's good.

NFC titles over the last 25 years
PHL 9 6 NFCCG 1 ring
DAL 7 0 NFCCG
NYG 5 3 NFCCG 2 rings
WAS 4 0 NFCCG

The Cowboys are a little better than the WFT over the last 25 years. Congrats to us and our unaccountable owner and to those that support him.
There you go.

They've been good enough to win a crappy division here and there which is why they get smoked in round two.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
All of that isn't not true and I respect your posts and opinion.

The point was you responded to someone who said don't blame Jerry and agreed.

I get what you're saying and not arguing....however.....if some of those scenarios you presented would have gone our way, Jerry would have been there grabbing the trophy away like he did to Switzer, and told every media outlet in the world what HE did.

So it needs to cut both ways.

The exact same failures of other teams get GMs fired. Tough luck. Just not in Dallas.
But he didn’t say don’t blame Jerry. He admitted they make mistakes and he was correct that Jerry put out a much better team on paper this year. Hell, people were overjoyed with the last offseason. Was the best offseason we had in many years people were saying. There was little disagreement with the majority of moves. I don’t like Jerry Jones but I can certainly recognize he has done a better job than many of his haters can come to grips with and I can admit to it is all.

Appreciate the friendly debate.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I am sure all those people that buy tickets and support this franchise are in agreement with you.

How does one fault Booger for injuries? Every GM gets the heat for injuries because he's responsible for every player on the team, not just the starters. You think any GM would survive being so star struck? Injuries are a part of the game for every GM, the ones that don't plan for that very well, don't last. Give too much money to the starters and you get the dregs or inexperienced for backups.

Belichick has dominated the NFL for years because of one difference between him and all other team builders, every player matters and he acquires them with the idea that all will play. Every player on his roster has a role. DAL had injuries and he had 8 players opt out before his season even started and one of them was his D QB. The most important D QB in the league.

This was a bad year for the league with missing players but if the Cowboys hadn't had those injuries, do we think they could stay on the field with the playoff teams in the NFC? They are flawed and that's by design, they do not know how to properly build a football team and never have. 25 years and they're no better at it. They're not any better at it because they don't have to be, they have plenty of people making excuses for them and forking over the cash for an inferior product.

‘Booger?’ - Bias much? I really don’t think anyone calling Jerry ‘Booger’ is going to evaluate fairly. Your mind is made up and nothing will change it.

Did the SF GM prepare poorly for injuries?

Yes, Belichick has dominated a very poor division for a long time and had the luxury of the GOAT at QB. Not because he plays all who suit up even for just a few plays. That all changed this year. Belichick told Brady to hit the road. Yes, NE had a lot of players opt out. Don’t remember clearly but the talent of those opting out in NE was not as good as the talent lost by Dallas to injury. Some of those opting out may have just decided not much chance if Brady is gone. Dallas lost as many and just as important players as NE. Dallas lost them through injury which couldn’t be predicted and after FA and the draft. Most on the fly during the season. NE had more time to prepare for what they lost this year.

I do believe the Cowboys could compete without all the injuries to Smith, Collins, Martin, Awuzie, Diggs, Brown, LVE, McCoy, Jarwin, and Hill.

fivetwos

Reaction score
But he didn’t say don’t blame Jerry. He admitted they make mistakes and he was correct that Jerry put out a much better team on paper this year. Hell, people were overjoyed with the last offseason. Was the best offseason we had in many years people were saying. There was little disagreement with the majority of moves. I don’t like Jerry Jones but I can certainly recognize he has done a better job than many of his haters can come to grips with and I can admit to it is all.

Appreciate the friendly debate.
That's how it ought to be around here.

Things turn to insults too quickly sometimes.

We are all right yet all wrong.

Still, we all want the same thing in the end.

kskboys

Reaction score
I meant anti-Cowboy front office, not anti-Cowboy. I guess one of my pet peeves here is the anti-Jerry feeling of many. I think a lot of people are unhappy with the result and cast blame on Jerry and the front office even though they made logical decisions at the time. Sometimes the correct thought process is no match to bad luck. Jerry put together a really good team on paper this year and massive injuries killed the season. How does one fault Jerry for injuries?

Sure Jerry and company make their share of mistakes but overall they do a good job in fielding a team.
They don't. They make illogical decisions and always put together D's w/ weaknesses.

And Jerry is the GM. The bottom line is him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
‘Booger?’ - Bias much? I really don’t think anyone calling Jerry ‘Booger’ is going to evaluate fairly. Your mind is made up and nothing will change it.

Yes, Belichick has dominated a very poor division for a long time and had the luxury of the GOAT at QB. Not because he plays all who suit up even for just a few plays. That all changed this year. Belichick told Brady to hit the road. Yes, NE had a lot of players opt out. Don’t remember clearly but the talent of those opting out in NE was not as good as the talent lost by Dallas to injury. Some of those opting out may have just decided not much chance if Brady is gone. Dallas lost as many and just as important players as NE. Dallas lost them through injury which couldn’t be predicted and after FA and the draft. Most on the fly during the season. NE had more time to prepare for what they lost this year.

I do believe the Cowboys could compete without all the injuries to Smith, Collins, Martin, Awuzie, Diggs, Brown, LVE, McCoy, Jarwin, and Hill.
True on the bad division for NE.

The slight difference being they took advantage of that by being able to advance deep into the playoffs multiple times.

Jerry has used the same advantage to win a first round game...what 3-4 times during that same period?

Didn't even MAKE a title game.

7-9 would have gotten them a home playoff game this year. Couldn't pull it off.

All teams have injuries, and I have news....so will the 2021 Cowboys.

Some teams fill in with their depth, and some teams use it as an excuse.

ANY team that loses its starting QB gets a pass....but I think it's fairly clear this team stunk well before Dak went down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't agree about that bolded part. This fandom rewards mediocrity and enables ineptitude. In that regard he is exactly like PT Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute". Which was not said by him but about his ability to market and promote.
I understand and agree but my meaning is to attempt to hold him accountable. No doubt as fans cumulatively we have failed in doing so.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Compete within the NFC East? Yep but not the NFC. The JV at The Sisters of Mercy School for Wayward Girls could have competed in the East.

Actually, my mind was made up before he earned that nickname mining for gold at the opening of his Big Top. He has continually proven he's not NFL GM material. He can't raise them either. He owns it and runs is very well as a business, as long as that business isn't on the field. He is not good at it and not getting better. Some posters are good as selling themselves and making excuses.

You are not seriously comparing the injuries to SF with those of Dallas? Please, don't do that. One was a SB participant and the other a poor 8-8.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True on the bad division for NE.

The slight difference being they took advantage of that by being able to advance deep into the playoffs multiple times.

Jerry has used the same advantage to win a first round game...what 3-4 times during that same period?

Didn't even MAKE a title game.

7-9 would have gotten them a home playoff game this year. Couldn't pull it off.

All teams have injuries, and I have news....so will the 2021 Cowboys.

Some teams fill in with their depth, and some teams use it as an excuse.

ANY team that loses its starting QB gets a pass....but I think it's fairly clear this team stunk well before Dak went down.
NE did not play East teams in the playoffs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand and agree but my meaning is to attempt to hold him accountable. No doubt as fans cumulatively we have failed in doing so.
We cannot hold him accountable unless we cut off his money supply. That is the only way. He sees sellouts as verification of a job well done.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the Cowboys' FO were nearly as capable as most teams with good GMs, they'd have a chance of challenging the NFL's most elite teams.

Sadly, they're so stubbornly unwilling to see that they're worlds from realizing their limitations, that they're unwittingly doomed to be failures.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am sure all those people that buy tickets and support this franchise are in agreement with you.

How does one fault Booger for injuries? Every GM gets the heat for injuries because he's responsible for every player on the team, not just the starters. You think any GM would survive being so star struck? Injuries are a part of the game for every GM, the ones that don't plan for that very well, don't last. Give too much money to the starters and you get the dregs or inexperienced for backups.

Belichick has dominated the NFL for years because of one difference between him and all other team builders, every player matters and he acquires them with the idea that all will play. Every player on his roster has a role. DAL had injuries and he had 8 players opt out before his season even started and one of them was his D QB. The most important D QB in the league.

This was a bad year for the league with missing players but if the Cowboys hadn't had those injuries, do we think they could stay on the field with the playoff teams in the NFC? They are flawed and that's by design, they do not know how to properly build a football team and never have. 25 years and they're no better at it. They're not any better at it because they don't have to be, they have plenty of people making excuses for them and forking over the cash for an inferior product.
This is as good an analysis of the inherent flaws of our FO structure as any I’ve seen. It’s like the old saying, “When you’re supposed to be on the train to Chicago, and you get on the train to St. Louis, you will never end up in Chicago. When you’re on the wrong train, the destination always ends up wrong.”

kskboys

Reaction score
Well said and agreed.

The most recent example of Jerry tripping over himself this situation with this defense.

Garrett had to go. That was clear. Jerry and son were out of time there with the fans.

But WHY bring in a HC (after interviewing basically ONE) that wanted to run a defense we didn't come close to having the personnel for??

How does no one in the building recognize this??

So the solution is to keep MM and bring in Quinn.

Come on.

It's the same mix and match of things that don't mix and match.

The ONLY thing I see as a positive in the immediate future is the division is still a mess.

That'll get them as far as yet another divisional round blowout at best after Quinn "fixes" everything.

It all goes back to having no organizational philosophy (other than being apprehensive about other teams FA). Just get this guy and that guy and throw it all in the pot and be shocked when the stew tastes like crap.

Edit....let me be clear. MM himself could be ok. I like Quinn. Not sure I like the mix of those two when he swore he wouldn't go to a "one call" defense which Quinn seems to run.

Same as I never understood the MM/Moore match up. Makes little sense
Well said.

MM is another of Jerry's "now" hires. He wants to win now. And that's kept us from winning for 25 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well said.

MM is another of Jerry's "now" hires. He wants to win now. And that's kept us from winning for 25 years.
Yes, throw in that Garrett convinced him that any rookie HC has growing pains and needs years to learn clock management and in game decisions.