CFZ 29.8 - average points given up when Dak has thrown it 40 times

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There has been a lot of brain dead talk lately about the Cowboys' record when Dak throws the ball 40 or more times. It's 6-14. But since football is a team game that got me wondering.. Why was Dak putting it up 40 or more times in the first place.. I probably kinda knew the answer but went and looked for myself. The bottom line is that pretty much the only time Dak has had to throw it 40 times it's been because the defense has been as loose as a 20 dollar you know what..

I wonder what other QBs records are when their defenses are giving up 30 or more. I bet it aint all that good. None of which is to say Dak doesn't need to play better. Just that these cherry picked numbers in a vacuum don't really tell you a whole lot. The team is 6-14 when giving up a boatload of points. Shocking right? How many times Dak threw the ball probably didn't have much to do with it. In those 14 losses the defense held the opponent to under 20 points twice. Philly in 2019 and KC in 2021. They managed to hold the opponent under 30 three other times.. So in those 14 losses that the talking heads beat their chests about the Cowboys gave up at least 30 points 9 times.

But I can already hear it.. If Dak had only thrown it less the defense would have given up fewer points.. Because we can't play defense if the offense is throwing the ball more than 40 times. It's apparently against the rules. I suspect the defense being porous probably had a lot to do with all those pass attempts. Not every time.. but I would wager more often than not, the pass heavy games featured the defense coming out flat and letting the other team waltz up and down the field, which in turn gave Kellen Moore the excuse he needed to just start slingin it every down!!

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Never have I ever seen a QB so needlessly defended to the death. If you have to make 1000+ posts to prove your point and scrap for straws (including pulling out wild stats and situations where context is desperately needed)… doesn’t that mean he’s a problem? Why do people so desperately defend him? Why have multiple people been fired because of his incompetence? There’s a single denominator and it’s Dak. It’s not hard to understand and it doesn’t make you a bad fan for criticizing and pointing out an extreme Achilles heel of your team.

JBond

Reaction score
Dak is a nice kid. He holds the ball too long because he struggles reading defenses. He hates making mistakes (which I respect), but misses big opportunities. Someone posted a video yesterday about how clutch Dak was on the last drive against the Texans. He kept saying to ignore the wide open WR's that Dak couldn't see. I had to turn it off halfway into the video.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There has been a lot of brain dead talk lately about the Cowboys' record when Dak throws the ball 40 or more times. It's 6-14. But since football is a team game that got me wondering.. Why was Dak putting it up 40 or more times in the first place.. I probably kinda knew the answer but went and looked for myself. The bottom line is that pretty much the only time Dak has had to throw it 40 times it's been because the defense has been as loose as a 20 dollar you know what..

I wonder what other QBs records are when their defenses are giving up 30 or more. I bet it aint all that good. None of which is to say Dak doesn't need to play better. Just that these cherry picked numbers in a vacuum don't really tell you a whole lot. The team is 6-14 when giving up a boatload of points. Shocking right? How many times Dak threw the ball probably didn't have much to do with it. In those 14 losses the defense held the opponent to under 20 points twice. Philly in 2019 and KC in 2021. They managed to hold the opponent under 30 three other times.. So in those 14 losses that the talking heads beat their chests about the Cowboys gave up at least 30 points 9 times.

But I can already hear it.. If Dak had only thrown it less the defense would have given up fewer points.. Because we can't play defense if the offense is throwing the ball more than 40 times. It's apparently against the rules. I suspect the defense being porous probably had a lot to do with all those pass attempts. Not every time.. but I would wager more often than not, the pass heavy games featured the defense coming out flat and letting the other team waltz up and down the field, which in turn gave Kellen Moore the excuse he needed to just start slingin it every down!!

it’s really sad that you struggle with the simplest analysis. We aren’t losing or give up big points because the qb is throwing 40 times. We are throwing 40 times because we are either losing or the defense is giving up lots of points.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is a nice kid. He holds the ball too long because he struggles reading defenses. He hates making mistakes (which I respect), but misses big opportunities. Someone posted a video yesterday about how clutch Dak was on the last drive against the Texans. He kept saying to ignore the wide open WR's that Dak couldn't see. I had to turn it off halfway into the video.
Absolutely and totally false!

I like you, bro, but the video creator (J-Tuck) never said that. I created the thread and used that video. I just finished rewatching it 2 times. J-Tuck NEVER SAID to ignore the wide open WRs that Dak couldn't see. Not once. I don't know what video you were watching, but it simply was not this one...

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/dak-prescott-is-surgical-with-the-game-on-the-line.504455/

plymkr

Reaction score
Dak is one player on a 53, or whatever it is, man roster. When Dak plays well the defense benefits and vice versa. When the defense plays bad Dak suffers and vice versa. Dak is not the best player on our team but he's also not the worst. Dak needs to not turn the ball over. If he does that we have the offensive line, RB and defense to beat anyone. I'm not a Dak Stan but we can win with him if he plays relatively smart and safe with the ball. When I say win with him I mean win the Super Bowl. Cuz our team is strong enough and Dak is good enough not to lose it. If he plays safe. As someone who is not a Dak homer my biggest concern is CB, RT, run defense and then Dak.

This obsession of trying to validate or invalidate Dak is tiresome. Dak is not our main problem IMHO. The culture, the OC, the circus and some injuries are our biggest problems that will hold us back this year. Dak will be fine.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Never have I ever seen a QB so needlessly defended to the death. If you have to make 1000+ posts to prove your point and scrap for straws (including pulling out wild stats and situations where context is desperately needed)… doesn’t that mean he’s a problem? Why do people so desperately defend him? Why have multiple people been fired because of his incompetence? There’s a single denominator and it’s Dak. It’s not hard to understand and it doesn’t make you a bad fan for criticizing and pointing out an extreme Achilles heel of your team.
Who is defending him the point of the post wars. The more he throws the more the other team has the football. Oh that’s right you don’t get it ever.

Xeven

Reaction score
Is simple really, Dak need to run more. He need to model Mahomes and Hurts. Instead of ints, get 5 yards on a sprint. Stop dropping back 20 years to throw to line of scrimmage. Pocket passers to easy to defeat.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mainly I mean move around instead of panic in pocket.
There’s no way he can move around in his pocket. The only option he has is stepping up. He’s doing everything he possibly can, in my opinion we don’t have the best offense of line in the league. When he is protected properly, we score I mean with the highest scoring team in the league what more do you want him to do?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401437131

Dak has thrown it 40 times once this year. If you look at that game, Green Bay scored 14 points off of interceptions, which both changed the game and lead to the loss. With the game on the line late, Dallas had a 51 second 3 and out drive with two incompletions. This isn't exactly the type of thing Dak supporters want to be pointing to as an example of the defense letting the team down. Dak put the defense in a bad position multiple times and unlike in the Texans game, they couldn't turn lemons into lemonade.

In past years there will be examples of lots of stuff. Bad defense, etc. That said, in a lot of the games you will find a consistent trend of the offense playing poorly early, leading the a deficit. Then the team gives up on the run and they become pass happy. A deep dive will frequently find poor QB play early leading to lots of passes late.

Overall, the OP is not incorrect. Teams generally have a bad record throwing the ball a lot because its generally caused by being behind bu there is some nuance to this.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is one player on a 53, or whatever it is, man roster. When Dak plays well the defense benefits and vice versa. When the defense plays bad Dak suffers and vice versa. Dak is not the best player on our team but he's also not the worst..
:hammer:....yep way too much time spent on deflecting blame by both sides of the Dak argument. As you say the issue is the culture of the franchise which is to protect your favorite player to the detriment of everyone else....in a way that's what we saw with the Randy Gregory fiasco.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The interception at the Dallas five was brutal . If Houston can break huddle run a red zone play not look like a three stooges imitation and punch it in it’s good night nurse game over .

The linebackers dropping into coverage seemed to give him fits , and the secondary was banged up . Burn that tape .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I know what video you are referencing and that’s crap. There were people he could’ve thrown to that would’ve required tougher throws that he shouldn’t have thrown to. One of the plays was Noah Brown being open.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It’s a simple formula. Moore and or Dak just can’t stick to it. If we make the playoffs we need to run the ball first. Stick with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
it’s really sad that you struggle with the simplest analysis. We aren’t losing or give up big points because the qb is throwing 40 times. We are throwing 40 times because we are either losing or the defense is giving up lots of points.

I'm pretty sure I actually just said that.. Or did the phrase "defense was loose as a 20 dollar you know what" fly over your head? Or maybe you just argue just to be arguing.

cnuball21

Reaction score

You seem sad again. Do you need a hug?

cnuball21

Reaction score

Usually when you throw more other things aren’t working. Run game, defense, etc…and you might be losing.

This is probably isn’t just a Dak thing but an NFL thing. I’d imagine when other teams are throwing it 40+ times it’s a losing record.