2nd & 19 vs 3rd & 7

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Did McCarthy address this decision in his presser? I could be wrong but I just don’t get it. Even if you have the 85 Bears defense, it still doesn’t make sense to me. Did the mathematicians up in the booth make this decision for McCarthey?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Did McCarthy address this decision in his presser? I could be wrong but I just don’t get it. Even if you have the 85 Bears defense, it still doesn’t make sense to me. Did the mathematicians up in the booth make this decision for McCarthey?
Yea he was wild for that.

Loso86

Reaction score
I'm sure in his mind they were coming our DBs at the time so don't give them an extra down to play with

Mark

Reaction score
It was a decided vote of "no confidence" in the defense, which was embarrassing last night.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I actually called for that when it looked like we were taking the penalty. Then quickly backtracked once he did it. Before the play.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah McCarthy had three boners last night.. Eschewing the FG there early in the 4th and then throwing when there was 1:40 left in the game and the Seahawks out of timeouts. Could have eaten another 40-45 seconds off the clock then kicked the FG after running it. Totally stupid not to run it there.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I wonder if he knew it was 3rd and 7. I honestly thought it was going to be 3rd and 9. Anyway, the decisions seemed fine at the time. This was before the Seattle offense went off. McCarthy was betting that one of the best defenses in the league at getting off the field at 3rd and long would handle it against a team that had not been offensively dangerous for several weeks. We can look back after the fact and say that was dangerous but it was a fine decision at the time.

starfan1

Reaction score
Dumb decision. He’s so immersed in the offensive play calling, he’s slow to the punch on many game management decisions. It will probably end our season eventually.
na he was making them head scratching decisions before he was play caller.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I didn’t like that decision at all.

Take the penalty and make them get the 19 yds.
there is no discerning difference between 2nd and 19 If they get 10 on the next play and then it's third and nine or less etc.. he figured he'd give the defense a shot to stop him on one instead of two plays.. it's not our fault or his that the defense was that bad. easily giving up 3rd and 8s is not something to brag about, BUT many coaches would be confident doing just that,,. 3rd and 7 0r 8 at home with this rep this d HAD should be an easy decision.. but hey some of you think you can make better decisions and you think that they would pick it up anyway, or wouldn't? how do you know.. they were moving the ball at will??

Desperado

Reaction score
It could go either way for me. 3rd &7 is a definite passing situation, playing to our defensive strength. One play ends the drive. 2nd and 19 give them 2 shots to make it. I would have taken the penalty, but I don’t feel strongly about it.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Not going to excoriate for this. Bottom line is the defense underperformed tonight until key moments when it really mattered. Still, we shoulda backed them up. Sea played beyond their last few games and we underperformed defensively.