2nd & 19 vs 3rd & 7

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Flags, you want to give the refs 1 play or 2 to call another penalty and give a 1st down...

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree to some extent. Coaches make this type of decision frequently. But 3rd and 7 over 2nd and 19? That's a stretch. They'd have to get 12 yards just to get back to 3rd and 7. If it was 3rd and 10+, I can see it. But not 3rd and 7.
Or a penalty. They don’t need to get any yards to convert on a penalty and you’re giving them two chances for that.

I think 2nd and 19 was the right call. But the fact is that we’re talking about a tiny difference in conversion likelihood, way smaller than the amount of complaining about it here.

JustChip

Reaction score
Or a penalty. They don’t need to get any yards to convert on a penalty and you’re giving them two chances for that.

I think 2nd and 19 was the right call. But the fact is that we’re talking about a tiny difference in conversion likelihood, way smaller than the amount of complaining about it here.
Right. Defensive holding or illegal contact is an automatic 1st down. The way that game was being officiated I‘d rather give them 1 less play to throw a flag.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Did McCarthy address this decision in his presser? I could be wrong but I just don’t get it. Even if you have the 85 Bears defense, it still doesn’t make sense to me. Did the mathematicians up in the booth make this decision for McCarthey?
Dumb decision.

Flamma

Reaction score

It could be worse. Back in 1980 Atlanta failed on a 3rd and goal from the 2. Rams coach Ray Malavasi decided to accept a 5 yard motion penalty giving Atlanta another shot with 3rd and goal from the 7. Instead of the 4th and goal from the 2. The Falcons FG unit was already on the field. End result was a TD.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
It's not a dumb call by MM...I'm no fan of his.

On 2nd and forever, a holding penalty or hands to the face is an automatic first down. We have a top-rated 3rd down defense and it was 3rd and long. You'd rather roll the dice in an advantageous situation rather than have them with 2 cracks at a first down. Judgement call.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's not a dumb call by MM...I'm no fan of his.

On 2nd and forever, a holding penalty or hands to the face is an automatic first down. We have a top-rated 3rd down defense and it was 3rd and long. You'd rather roll the dice in an advantageous situation rather than have them with 2 cracks at a first down. Judgement call.
Yeah, you could say that. But 3rd and 7 isn't that long. I understand the logic behind it. I just wouldn't do it. I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before. However, in today's flag happy game, can we really blame the coach?