2nd and 3 on the 23 yardline

DenCWBY

Reaction score
To me, the tripping call was the worst and biggest call in the game. Nothing compares to that call. The 2 pt conversion penalty was a legitimate penalty that was called at the worst time for the Lions. But at least that penalty was earned. Plus that 5 yards was negated by Micah's offsides on the next play so they had a second chance to get the 2 pot conversion from that spot and they failed.

The tripping was a ridiculous call. How could a ref make that mistake watching the play unfold live from about 15 feet away? Why didn't the other refs correct the call or at least pickup the flag? Why didn't the booth call down and tell them they got that call wrong? After that call, was the 2 minute warning. The booth had plenty of time to look the play over and call the refs on the field to tell them the Lions were the ones that attempted to trip a player. Even if they just pick up the flag and give teh Cowboys the ball with a 2nd and 3 from the 22, the game is very different. All the refs were asleep at the wheel.
This is why the league is constantly accused of fraud and corruption. They have the tools to fix a lot of these issues but seem to turn their heads and claim they have no issues from God-ell the Almighty himself. I guess when your making $$ hand over fists, as commish and owners a like, you don't have to answer to the petty fans and players. Ever since gambling has opened its doors, it's seemed to have gotten worse. But not for the NFL...HMMMMM?

shabazz

Reaction score
Our fan base would've reacted the same way in their shoes. The tripping call was a joke, though. They should've never even had the ball again.
We would surely have acted the same way......but I'd be in an alternate universe in which mccarthy would actually use subterfuge to gain an advantage.

Kudos to Dan Cambell for thinking outside the box.

i'd suggest we send the entire offensive line to report but that's why i'm not coaching

rambo2

Reaction score
you know i was listening to the fan this morning 105.3 here by dallas and mccarthy was on and basically doubled down on throwing the ball. Basically saying Im a dumbarse if Im agressive Im a ******* if not agressive so he basically supported the play saying that it was stepping on theit throat if successful. And I agree on the swiss cheese defense.

Situational awareness is your friend Mike!!
He also threw an incomplete pass on the series before which waa dumb aa well.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
The media knows any conversation about the Cowboys sells. They will milk any story the can.
its not just any coversation, its more any conversation that puts the cowboys in a bad light. they will milk that way more than any conversation that puts the cowboys in a positive light.

if the roles were reversed and dallas was the team who did what the lions did and got a penalty for illegal touching the popular story the media and social media would run with would be either a) the cowboys were fooling the refs and were trying to cheat and it backfired or b) it wouldnt be a big deal and people would move on and accept the lions winning.

why? because there are way more cowboy haters than there are cowboy fans. i think cowboy hate sells way more than cowboy love. but in the end yes its cowboy exposure (love and hate) that sells. i just believe if we were to compare the weight of money generated from positive or negative stories it would be the negative stories that win out. and some or most of those negative stories are way to sensational and not muted or objective.

conner01

Reaction score
We get a nice run. 2nd and 3 on the 23 yard line. 2 minutes to go bogus tripping call on Cowboys and we go to 1st and 25 and all we hear is the Lions got robbed from their crybaby fans.

I hope that the Lions get knocked out by the Rams in the 1st round or lose badly to the Cowboys in the 2nd round
That penalty changed everything. The penalty forced us to throw and we played right into it by not just running a screen or quick pass. Just keep the clock moving, kick the FG and go home

Mcsports

Reaction score
I saw that too. ESPN never reviewed the play, which I thought was unusual because they have people watching the replays to pick up that stuff and relay back to the announcers in the booth. Everyone was asleep but that was a hugely significant play. In fact, if that penalty was not called, My guess is MM never calls another pass play. The Cowboys had a great chance of getting the first down and ending the game. It is shocking to me this penalty has not been talked about more.
Yes mistakes happen by officials, but the play just wasn’t talked about or shown which is extremely unusual.
They normally show unusual penalties from various angles.

Mcsports

Reaction score
its not just any coversation, its more any conversation that puts the cowboys in a bad light. they will milk that way more than any conversation that puts the cowboys in a positive light.

if the roles were reversed and dallas was the team who did what the lions did and got a penalty for illegal touching the popular story the media and social media would run with would be either a) the cowboys were fooling the refs and were trying to cheat and it backfired or b) it wouldnt be a big deal and people would move on and accept the lions winning.

why? because there are way more cowboy haters than there are cowboy fans. i think cowboy hate sells way more than cowboy love. but in the end yes its cowboy exposure (love and hate) that sells. i just believe if we were to compare the weight of money generated from positive or negative stories it would be the negative stories that win out. and some or most of those negative stories are way to sensational and not muted or objective.
Hey, is this Jimmy Johnson making a post?
He said the same thing during his ring of
Honor induction speech Saturday night.
PS. Your hair
Still
Looks sharp after all these years

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not only the refs but ESPN! I went back to rewatch the 4th quarter a few days ago and they went straight to commercial and never mentioned anything.
Right trying to brush it under the carpet that is what they do you find that anytime the Cowboys are in broiled in a controversy they show it seven times what if it's the other way around they sure quick to start talking about the weather and stuff..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's really getting old, that is the only headline you see is that the Lions got jobbed. That play should never have happened.
That being said, we probably should have ran more time off the clock anyway, and our defense could have at least tried to slow down the passes they knew were coming.
I wonder why MM didn't throw a challenge flag...or could he not?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We get a nice run. 2nd and 3 on the 23 yard line. 2 minutes to go bogus tripping call on Cowboys and we go to 1st and 25 and all we hear is the Lions got robbed from their crybaby fans.

I hope that the Lions get knocked out by the Rams in the 1st round or lose badly to the Cowboys in the 2nd round
also, even if we don't get a first down at the 23. getting pushed to 45 yard line cost us 3 points. then its 23-13 and game is out of reach. they took points away from us and put them in a position to steal the game away

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Hey, is this Jimmy Johnson making a post?
He said the same thing during his ring of
Honor induction speech Saturday night.
PS. Your hair
Still
Looks sharp after all these years
nah he didnt make this point. he only talked about hate but didnt talk about the end of the lions game (how could he right?) and the point i am making based on that. so your post (while tongue and cheek) doesnt address the point im making respectfully.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
also, even if we don't get a first down at the 23. getting pushed to 45 yard line cost us 3 points. then its 23-13 and game is out of reach. they took points away from us and put them in a position to steal the game away
Cowboys kicked a fg.

CWR

Reaction score

Lol, yes I hate them now too.

My dream world is eliminating GB, then Detroit or Philly.

CWR

Reaction score
I'd like to play the Packers and have the Rams beat the Lions and the Rams beat the 49ers and have the Cowboys have 3 home playoff games.
For sure, I was speaking out of vengeance not practicality. If I'm dreaming I'd love to then go beat the 9ers. That road would give me some confidence vs Baltimore in the superbowl.

Mark

Reaction score
The tripping was a ridiculous call. How could a ref make that mistake watching the play unfold live from about 15 feet away?
I've not yet seen a replay of that. The play definitely changed the course of the game.

As someone else here interestingly pointed-out - the fact that both teams were wearing white pants (not sure how unusual an occurrence that is?) might possibly have contributed to confusion in a sea of moving legs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Bottom line is the refs aren’t good enough, get many calls wrong or inconsistent, and unfortunately decide way too many games.

It should be fixed (meaning a solution). It could be fixed, but it’s swept under the table every off-season.

A clue….Getting things right doesn’t make the owners any more money. In fact it would probably cost money, so it ain’t gonna happen.

There’s no such thing as “for the good of the game.” It’s about the good of the owners wallets and stops there.

Creeper

Reaction score
I've not yet seen a replay of that. The play definitely changed the course of the game.

As someone else here interestingly pointed-out - the fact that both teams were wearing white pants (not sure how unusual an occurrence that is?) might possibly have contributed to confusion in a sea of moving legs.
Something tells me teams wearing white or near white pants is not that uncommon. and even so, I can see that mistake on TV in 2 dimensions, but seeing it live? That just seems like a mistake the refs cannot make.