Drafted by Cowboys 2nd Round - Pick 58 - TE Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan)

dsturgeon

Reaction score
To look at it in a positive way

The cowboys are pretty loaded at almost every position. A big guy at dt, and a blocking TE, can be significant additions and strengthen the very few weaknesses this team has.

Run defense
Goal Line defense
Short yardage defense
Run blocking improvement

Both these guys could get playing time this way, and make big time contributions.

Redline360

Reaction score
Thought we were going after OL this round.

He graded out high but he seems to be more of a project from what I've been reading. Has the skills though

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Better athlete than first thought but the pick leaves a lot to be desired. Will turn 25 this year, so would get a 2nd contract at 29?

Yeah, didn’t realize he was this athletic. Certainly doesn’t show on the field.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
One thing I noticed is he always seems to go down on first contact. He will probably put up decent receiving yards, but not exactly somebody that will strike fear in DCs.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Guess this is JJ's way of making up for missing on Kincaid? Seems like a luxury pick

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I really don't get this one either. I guess they know something most of us don't.
The problem is most don't understand the pick and poo-poo it.

Once they see this kid, especially his run blocking, they will like him.

The Cowboys want to run the ball and he is a road grader and good receiver also.

Better blocking TE than what we have. Cowboys clearly want to win the trenches this draft.

Stak78

Reaction score
Looks like we will struggle with finding a decent starter at LG and depth at any other OL position if anyone goes down. But hey we have that TE position locked down.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Horrid pick.

Draft picks are commodities. Those trying to rationalize/justify this pick for a 25-26 year old blocking TE would be just like spending $90,000 on a Kia Sorento and then arguing “it’s just what I need; reliable transportation.”
Preach

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score

The Cowboys want to run the ball and he is a road grader and good receiver also.

Better blocking TE than what we have. Cowboys clearly want to win the trenches this draft.
Looks like they are trying to draft more gritty physical guys.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I did want OL here, but maybe with his blocking skills at least they are thinking in that direction.

Not happy, but at least the picks aren't fancy.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
We used a 2nd rounder on a TE blocker basically who is equal to what we have already. I am good for TE but I want to improve the position not have someone of equal skill already on the roster. We could have filled other roles where we need the help, but lets hope they know something we dont know and he turns out to be better than expected.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I want to give guy a big benefit of the doubt to this guy considering Michigans stupid offense and garbage QB play.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I get that he can block, but a 2nd round pick on a blocking TE? I do not get that.