Drafted by Cowboys 2nd Round Pick - OG Connor Williams, Texas (50th pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Wanted a guard....but is this really the guy???? I have my doubts. I think this pick might say more about the condition of Tyrons Smith's back.

I think the guy is a left tackle....not a guard. Just don't see the power needed inside. :cool:
yes, this really is the guy, and he's nasty

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Anybody who’s upset at this pick should just go back and watch the Falcons game from this season. This pick = no more Chaz Green, and for that alone, it is a great pick. And at a position of need too. Well done Jerrah,

Yup...that's my thinking. I just don't see him playing G.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't see the "Huge dude" sorry....seems kinda small ....
Another off-lineman what else is new?
I assume you watched last season?

OL was not the same as 2016.

Without the OL to dominate the LOS..

we will struggle big time again.

This fixes it plus the FA signings..

we really good.

CCBoy

Reaction score
With the 50th overall selection, the Dallas Cowboys selected offensive guard Connor Williams from Texas. Williams is just the second Texas player the team has drafted in the past 20 years (Geoff Swaim in 2015). In 2016, Williams was a second-team All-American as a sophomore for the Longhorns, starting 11 games at left tackle.

Williams fills an immediate need for Dallas. He will likely walk in and be the team's starter at left guard. He has the athleticism to get to the second level and make blocks with ease. His movement skills jump off the screen, and he never overextends. He plays with an edge and is one of the best finishers in this class.

This pick also makes sense because of his experience at left tackle. With Tyron Smith's back-injury concerns, Williams could slide to left tackle and be a serviceable starter. He gives the offensive line even more flexibility.

His biggest weakness is that he doesn't have elite arm length (33"), and that is likely why he slid. If he had above-average arm length, he could have been a top-15 selection. He also has injury concerns (knee), as he played just five games in 2017.

If he can get back to the way he played in 2016, the Cowboys just stole a potential Pro Bowl guard in the middle of the second round, adding to their team's biggest strength.

GRADE: A

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772163-2018-dallas-cowboys-draft-tracker

The more I watched Connor Williams play, the more he grew on me.

The first time I ran through his tape, I put a little too much weight on some of his “bad” plays, when he was beaten in one-on-one pass rush situations. The more I paid attention, however, the more I realized they were the exceptions.

Williams has some of the best footwork for a tackle that I have seen in a while.
Generally when he did get beat, it was just because the pass rusher avoided Williams’ hands. But Williams was usually still in front of the guy because of those quick feet.

Williams had a smooth and consistent kick-step on the snap of the football, which allowed him to intercept even the widest pass rushers, while also letting him quickly change directions to shut down counter moves inside.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/11/...t-2018-scouting-report-texas-offensive-tackle

jblaze2004

Reaction score
why not keep him at tackle aka right tackle? Collins could use his power at guard but his feel is kind of sluggish. And with Tyron Smith back we might need some insurance. He may miss games this year too because of his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.