3-4 Base Defense (obvious run downs)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Interesting Golston was one of those what the hell day 2 picks but the more I read about this kid, he's solid. Good pick...
He was probably taken a rd early, but he is a solid player. Very good at setting the Edge, more of a power player, with limited rush potential.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Do we have another defense that doesn't play to Lawrence's strength?

Honest question. Everything I've seen has me.wondering where Lawrence plays

Well, Lawrence is a good run defender and when you're playing against inside/outside zone, whether your assignment is gap or two, DEs will be facing double teams.

WILL DQ have DEs flip, or keep them on the same side? Would like to know that.

Probably can be answered by ATL video.

D-

conner01

Reaction score
No, he was more of a 4th rd player, not a late day 3 player at all.
Hopefully it works out and 3 years down the road if the player can play the round doesn’t matter
But seemed like the 3rd round we thought it was the 4th round if not 5th

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Based on everything I am reading, there seems to be a serious misunderstanding on how the defense will work. The above tweet and description shows it as a 1 gap scheme. In the tweet, you can see the 4 "linebackers" standing up and 3 lineman. I would assume DLaw would be the down lineman on the right and Parsons will be the LB on the left. As far as the people in the middle, Dallas has a lot of options.

This doesn't appear to look anything like the two gap schemes.

Edit removed banned source.

dwmyers

Reaction score

Based on everything I am reading, there seems to be a serious misunderstanding on how the defense will work. The above tweet and description shows it as a 1 gap scheme. In the tweet, you can see the 4 "linebackers" standing up and 3 lineman. I would assume DLaw would be the down lineman on the right and Parsons will be the LB on the left. As far as the people in the middle, Dallas has a lot of options.

This doesn't appear to look anything like the two gap schemes.

Edit removed banned source.

Anybody can draw lines. I've seen people create something called the "Tom Landry 4-3 two gap", which never existed, by drawing lines.

EDIT update: counting gaps, all 4 "linebackers" are assigned gaps. That doesn't happen, even in 4-3 1 gap defenses. There are 6 gaps in general. Linebackers at most should only have 2 gap assignments in a 1 gap, not 4.

If you listen carefully to DQ, he's not saying it's a 3-4 but more like a 3-4. The known front that is mostly like a 3-4 is the 4-3 Under documented largely when Gus Bradley was headed to JAX as their head coach. It has two two gappers.

A link: https://www.fieldgulls.com/football...hawks-and-the-4-3-under-front-winds-of-change

Leos in these schemes can stand up. DQ was training Vic Beasley to stand up and fall back some.

So what's a Leo? It's a hybrid position that can behave like a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 weakside DE. Leos have the offside C gap as a run assignment.

4-3 under and the over in the link are base defenses. But DQ is not required to run base. He's had guys like Grady Jarrett at 1T who was initially a 1 gapping NT. He's more flexible than the diagrams.

D-

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, he was more of a 4th rd player, not a late day 3 player at all.

More of a 4th round player? You dont sound too confident there. And is that supposed to make me feel better? Now if you told me he was more of a 2nd round talent that fell, I would feel better.

At 284 pounds there is redundancy. We already have that kind of DT in Hill and Gallimore. What this defense needed desperately was a 1T.

Where is he going to play? In front of Gallimore? He defintely isnt playing 1T.

dwmyers

Reaction score
More of a 4th round player? You dont sound too confident there. And is that supposed to make me feel better? Now if you told me he was more of a 2nd round talent that fell, I would feel better.

At 284 pounds there is redundancy. We already have that kind of DT in Hill and Gallimore. What this defense needed desperately was a 1T.

Where is he going to play? In front of Gallimore? He defintely isnt playing 1T.

If you're talking about Osa, he can play onside DE in the "base" and can also play some 3T in rotation in the nickle.

D-

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Anybody can draw lines. I've seen people create something called the "Tom Landry 4-3 two gap", which never existed, by drawing lines.

EDIT update: counting gaps, all 4 "linebackers" are assigned gaps. That doesn't happen, even in 4-3 1 gap defenses. There are 6 gaps in general. Linebackers at most should only have 2 gap assignments in a 1 gap, not 4.

If you listen carefully to DQ, he's not saying it's a 3-4 but more like a 3-4. The known front that is mostly like a 3-4 is the 4-3 Under documented largely when Gus Bradley was headed to JAX as their head coach. It has two two gappers.

A link: https://www.fieldgulls.com/football...hawks-and-the-4-3-under-front-winds-of-change

Leos in these schemes can stand up. DQ was training Vic Beasley to stand up and fall back some.

So what's a Leo? It's a hybrid position that can behave like a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 weakside DE. Leos have the offside C gap as a run assignment.

4-3 under and the over in the link are base defenses. But DQ is not required to run base. He's had guys like Grady Jarrett at 1T who was initially a 1 gapping NT. He's more flexible than the diagrams.

D-

Good post!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you're talking about Osa, he can play onside DE in the "base" and can also play some 3T in rotation in the nickle.

D-

Exactly..............D-

McNeil was the pick there. 1T plug and play.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Exactly..............D-

McNeil was the pick there. 1T plug and play.

No, he got picked a little early. I had him ranked late 2nd, so he slid relative to my estimation of his value.

So, if Dallas wanted the guy, they would have had to have traded up to about the top of the third. EDIT: fix a comment that mixed up 2nd and third rounds.

Assume the target is 3rd round +3, about pick 67. 75 + 138 + 2 more points to move up JJ style. Then we can get him.

That said, 1T is not a premium position and there are good ones throughout the draft.. We picked up s 1T in the sixth. We also got Urban in FA.

D-

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It's been awhile posting on fan zone. Dan Quinn stated yesterday that the team will be using a 3-4 Defense in their base (obvious run downs) and a 4 man line in the nickel. He confirmed that Neal will be playing linebacker moving forward. How would the run alignment look:

4 Linebackers-Lve, Jaylon, Parsons, Neal
Box SS-Wilson
LE-Tank
NT-Urban
RE-Goldson/Oggy/Watkins (all can easily play the 5T)
Yes, don't think Gregory or Gallimore/Hill play on the early downs.

I truly believe our run defense will be vastly improved.
They could easily move Gregory to outside linebacker. I think Neal will be the odd man out in that alignment. Gregory/Parsons at the outside linebacker spot would be lethal. On pass rushing downs Neal will come in for Jaylon while Gregory/Parsons put their hands on the ground.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You want to be able to stop the run, he has the ability to do so.
Don’t listen to guys that is going by a draftnicks board that had JOK as a first round pick and had undrafted players as top rated players at their positions. Not saying this draft is perfect but they brought in players to fit Quinn’s system.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Dan Quinn stated yesterday that the team will be using a 3-4 Defense in their base (obvious run downs) and a 4 man line in the nickel.
He said it would "look" like a 3-4.

The 4-3 under and the 'Bear' front both look like a 3-4 with five defenders on the line of scrimmage.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Usually in a Bear front the mlb walks up to the los and it looks like an old 5-2 Okie defense except more players are in gaps rather than head up for two gapping run control. That is a role Parsons should excel. 4.39 off the edge with slants and loops is tough to handle.

The regular 4-3 under is a hybrid where the left side are playing like a 3-4 two gap and the right side are attacking a gap.

I think long term they want to get out of the $22 million DLaw business.