3-4 Base Defense (obvious run downs)

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Lets just look at the front 7 of the LOB.

Two key guys on the line for them were Bennett and Irvin.

I see Lawrence and Gregory in those roles here.

Wagner and Wright. Should be Parsons and Smith.

That 43 under look that they ran fits our personnel very well.

We just drafted our Red Bryant in Bohanna. The Melborne role could be Urban or Gallimore.

I still think that a suprise trade could be trying to move LVE. Or flat out cutting him. He just doesnt fit here.

Cox is interesting. Do they dare try him in that Cam Chancellor role?

Diggs is Sherman.

Joseph a much better Maxwell.

But not having an Earl hurts. But, as has been mentioned, this could be where Lewis fits in. Hes no Earl in his prime, but hes the closest we have. I think hes better than Kwazee.

So yeah, if you want to call the Leo a LB, then technically you can call the 43 under a 34 look. As long as we dont go full blown 34 concept, Im actually pretty excited about what this defense can be.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Usually in a Bear front the mlb walks up to the los and it looks like an old 5-2 Okie defense except more players are in gaps rather than head up for two gapping run control. That is a role Parsons should excel. 4.39 off the edge with slants and loops is tough to handle.

The regular 4-3 under is a hybrid where the left side are playing like a 3-4 two gap and the right side are attacking a gap.

I think long term they want to get out of the $22 million DLaw business.

I thought that too at first, but Lawrence could be a better Bennett. Having Gregory and Lawrence on the right side, playing games and simply getting after the QB could be very promising.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don’t listen to guys that is going by a draftnicks board that had JOK as a first round pick and had undrafted players as top rated players at their positions. Not saying this draft is perfect but they brought in players to fit Quinn’s system.
I am confident our run defense is dramatically improved, along with outside corner. Biggest issue for me is at Free Safety and a number 3 pass rusher.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They could easily move Gregory to outside linebacker. I think Neal will be the odd man out in that alignment. Gregory/Parsons at the outside linebacker spot would be lethal. On pass rushing downs Neal will come in for Jaylon while Gregory/Parsons put their hands on the ground.
It's my understanding their isn't going to be a set alignment, Quinn is going to use a few different packages to incorporate the players strengths.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
More of a 4th round player? You dont sound too confident there. And is that supposed to make me feel better? Now if you told me he was more of a 2nd round talent that fell, I would feel better.

At 284 pounds there is redundancy. We already have that kind of DT in Hill and Gallimore. What this defense needed desperately was a 1T.

Where is he going to play? In front of Gallimore? He defintely isnt playing 1T.
He is very similar to Tyrone Crawford, who was a former 3rd rd pick as well. His strength right now is against the run, which is sorely needed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hopefully it works out and 3 years down the road if the player can play the round doesn’t matter
But seemed like the 3rd round we thought it was the 4th round if not 5th
Dane mocked him to us a 115. Although, taken a little early, he is a solid player and one who can help us immediately.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It's my understanding their isn't going to be a set alignment, Quinn is going to use a few different packages to incorporate the players strengths.
This will be a different defense for sure. 8 new players draft/free agency should contribute. This team will stop the run up the middle, slow down the dump down passes to running backs and create more turnovers. There will be plenty of fighting in training camp. They finally have some “dogs” on D.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This will be a different defense for sure. 8 new players draft/free agency should contribute. This team will stop the run up the middle, slow down the dump down passes to running backs and create more turnovers. There will be plenty of fighting in training camp. They finally have some “dogs” on D.
Outside of the late picks and the 3rd rd corner, I think all these defensive players will make an immediate impact.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It's been awhile posting on fan zone. Dan Quinn stated yesterday that the team will be using a 3-4 Defense in their base (obvious run downs) and a 4 man line in the nickel. He confirmed that Neal will be playing linebacker moving forward. How would the run alignment look:

4 Linebackers-Lve, Jaylon, Parsons, Neal
Box SS-Wilson
LE-Tank
NT-Urban
RE-Goldson/Oggy/Watkins (all can easily play the 5T)
Yes, don't think Gregory or Gallimore/Hill play on the early downs.

I truly believe our run defense will be vastly improved.

Could very well be right. Though I think maybe we'll see Urban at DE and the Ohana rookie at NT.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Could very well be right. Though I think maybe we'll see Urban at DE and the Ohana rookie at NT.
It's possible, but unlikely the 6th rd DT makes an impact right away. You are right about Urban, he can play on the outside as well.

Bluefin

Reaction score
and a number 3 pass rusher.
Hopefully, Micah Parsons will have a big impact here.

My question is what will we get from Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore?

Anything positive from them will be a bonus.

Dan Quinn also wants to use Osa Odighizuwa in a Nickel role. I'm hoping he can bring some juice as a reserve.

Brent Urban and Carlos Watkins can definitely play base SDE as 4Techs (over RT) or 6Techs (outside shoulder RT) in various looks.

dwmyers

Reaction score

This is probably accurate. He will find his best front 7 and tailor the front to these players. That setup will be described as a "package". But if the media ask about his "base defense" then anyone from the Seahawks tree will talk about the Seattle hybrid fronts, the 4-3 under and over they played back in 2013.

D-

Flamma

Reaction score
More of a 4th round player? You dont sound too confident there. And is that supposed to make me feel better? Now if you told me he was more of a 2nd round talent that fell, I would feel better.

At 284 pounds there is redundancy. We already have that kind of DT in Hill and Gallimore. What this defense needed desperately was a 1T.

Where is he going to play? In front of Gallimore? He defintely isnt playing 1T.

Didn't we pick up a load in Quinton Bohanna in the 6th? He's 6'4 357.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been awhile posting on fan zone. Dan Quinn stated yesterday that the team will be using a 3-4 Defense in their base (obvious run downs) and a 4 man line in the nickel. He confirmed that Neal will be playing linebacker moving forward. How would the run alignment look:

4 Linebackers-Lve, Jaylon, Parsons, Neal
Box SS-Wilson
LE-Tank
NT-Urban
RE-Goldson/Oggy/Watkins (all can easily play the 5T)
Yes, don't think Gregory or Gallimore/Hill play on the early downs.

I truly believe our run defense will be vastly improved.

I truly believe our run defense will have a hard time not improving. League average would be a vast improvement. Another plus we have going for us is that the coaching staff will actually get a normal training camp.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Usually in a Bear front the mlb walks up to the los and it looks like an old 5-2 Okie defense except more players are in gaps rather than head up for two gapping run control. That is a role Parsons should excel. 4.39 off the edge with slants and loops is tough to handle.

The regular 4-3 under is a hybrid where the left side are playing like a 3-4 two gap and the right side are attacking a gap.

I think long term they want to get out of the $22 million DLaw business.

Actually in the original 46 Bear, going from 4-3 to 46, it's the Will that flips from one side of the line to the other and ends up on the LOS. LDE shifts out to the 9. Will and Sam bracket the TE. SS comes in to fill the other linebacker spot. RDE and the two DTs form the signature diamond, a 3-0-3 alignment.

Very rare to see the MLB at the LOS, and the look can be described as a 4-4 or a 6-2. I'd show a diagram from Ryan and Walker's book..

EDIT: here we go:
rexryansbookdiapage1.png

D-

Last edited:

Cebrin

Reaction score
All I know is the Falcons were ranked 15 against the run under Quinn. If we can hit middle of the pack, it would be a major improvement year one under Quinn. Middle of the pack with an explosive offense on the other side is a good start.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Anybody can draw lines. I've seen people create something called the "Tom Landry 4-3 two gap", which never existed, by drawing lines.

EDIT update: counting gaps, all 4 "linebackers" are assigned gaps. That doesn't happen, even in 4-3 1 gap defenses. There are 6 gaps in general. Linebackers at most should only have 2 gap assignments in a 1 gap, not 4.

If you listen carefully to DQ, he's not saying it's a 3-4 but more like a 3-4. The known front that is mostly like a 3-4 is the 4-3 Under documented largely when Gus Bradley was headed to JAX as their head coach. It has two two gappers.

A link: https://www.fieldgulls.com/football...hawks-and-the-4-3-under-front-winds-of-change

Leos in these schemes can stand up. DQ was training Vic Beasley to stand up and fall back some.

So what's a Leo? It's a hybrid position that can behave like a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 weakside DE. Leos have the offside C gap as a run assignment.

4-3 under and the over in the link are base defenses. But DQ is not required to run base. He's had guys like Grady Jarrett at 1T who was initially a 1 gapping NT. He's more flexible than the diagrams.

D-

Good post.

I do think that people are panicking a little in thinking the team is going to some 2 gap read and react scheme like what Nolan had based on the 3 4 and hybrid comments. I think its far more complicated than that but functionally I do not think that this is going to be like that. It seems more aggressive.