3 lost fumbles - 3 ints by the QB = 1-3

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The defense was also aided by a ball control offense that owned TOP and didnt turn it over, which allowed them to be in the middle of the pack and be respectable. This offense has simply not helped the defense but killed the defense. IM under no illusion that this defense is good at the moment, they are in bottom 1/4. but in bottom 2-3 because of the offense.

TOP is tricky thing....the defense plays a big part in it too. if the defense doesn't get off the field, then the offense doesn't get the ball back enough times to get the TOP.....and if the defense gives up scores and doesn't make stops, then the offense will inevitably get into a pass happy mode, which tend to stop the clock. each side is got to help the other side and defense has a big part in it.

the offense can't be blamed for defense giving up 300 yards rushing. 150 in the first half, so its not even because they are tired.....this defense sucks. sucks historically bad.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
25 TOs in 16 games.

We are currently on pace for 36.
We will see if that pace continues, but the offense put the defense in bad positions just like this offense is doing. Just an example, the opening half of the season the offense was a turnover machine and we fell down big. The offense did give other teams short fields during the year (also allowed the other teams to score a couple times) and the 2014 defense generated turnovers to put the offense in favorable field position (and also scored). This happened more that people probably realize.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We will see if that pace continues, but the offense put the defense in bad positions just like this offense is doing. Just an example, the opening half of the season the offense was a turnover machine and we fell down big. The offense did give other teams short fields during the year (also allowed the other teams to score a couple times) and the 2014 defense generated turnovers to put the offense in favorable field position (and also scored). This happened more that people probably realize.
I watch every game, an I was probably at 8 of those games in 2014. I think you are having a serious case of revisionist history. Our offense dominated top with the run game. we had somany 8 plus minute drives it was nuts. I dont care what the other offense does when they are simply on the bench watching. We can go round and round.. bottom line is it isnt the defense that is leading the NFL in ACTUAL turnovers, our offense is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I watch every game, an I was probably at 8 of those games in 2014. I think you are having a serious case of revisionist history. Our offense dominated top with the run game. we had somany 8 plus minute drives it was nuts. I dont care what the other offense does when they are simply on the bench watching. We can go round and round.. bottom line is it isnt the defense that is leading the NFL in ACTUAL turnovers, our offense is.
You’re the one that claimed the 2014 offense didn’t hurt the defense. They did. I will happily list all the turnovers and resulting field position tomorrow for you. I can also show how our defense gave our offense favorable field position with the take aways they generated.

I have already acknowledged the TOP the 2014 offense provided.

Not sure exactly what agenda you have but I can guess it is anti-Dak.

pansophy

Reaction score
2 fumbles coming by way of getting hit as he is in the motion of throwing. I will agree it is his responsibility but it damn hard to be hit in the middle of a throw and getting the ball knocked out. Dak has to do better and either Knight/Steele need to do a better job or Dallas can move Martin out to OT.
He made one bad throw for sure, and perhaps he shouldn't have thrown the last ditch INT two weeks ago. Cooper rightly took the blame for last weeks game ending INT. If we are dealing with two backup OTs all year then it could be a record setting turnovers for Dak this year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The defense was also aided by a ball control offense that owned TOP and didnt turn it over, which allowed them to be in the middle of the pack and be respectable.
Yes, they were aided by ball control offense. That offense was also aided by a defense that didn't allow scores on almost every possession or the offense would have surely abandoned the running game and go pass happy like they did frequently between 2011-2103.

I promised a list of times the 2014 offense put the 2014 defense in bad position with turnovers since you claimed we didn't turn the ball over. I'll also show where the defense helped the 2014 offense with takeaways and good field position. I included times where the special teams had an impact on the offense or defense. I excluded things like the Cowboys offense turning the ball over deep in enemy territory and the opposing offense capitalizing for a TD. The defense giving up a 65 yard drive following a turnover is there own fault. That would be just like a punt IMO.

Offensive/ST put defense in bad position
  • San Francisco - Week 1
    • Murray fumbled - SF returned for a TD
    • Romo threw interception - SF returned to the 2 yard line and scored a TD on the next play
  • Rams - Week 3
    • Romo threw interception - Rams returned for TD
  • Seahawks - Week 6
  • Cowboys had punt blocked - Seahawks returned for TD
  • Harris muffed punt at Dallas 14 - Seahawks scored TD 2 plays later
  • Romo fumbles at Dallas 17 - Seahawks kicked FG 4 plays later
  • Giants - Week 7
  • Romo threw interception returned to Dallas 27 - Giants scored TD a play later
  • Commanders - Week 8
  • Randle fumbled at Dallas 25 - Cowboys defense intercepted McCoy 2 plays later
  • Cardinals - Week 9
  • Weeden threw interception - Cardinals returned for TD
  • Weeden threw interception returned to Dallas 27- Cardinals scored TD 5 plays later
  • Jaguars - Week 10
  • Punt team has offensive holding in end zone - Safety awarded to Jaguars
  • Eagles - Week 13
  • Beasley fumbled returned to Cowboys 11 yard line - Eagles kicked FG 4 plays later
  • Eagles - Week 15
  • Romo fumbled at Cowboys 14 yard line - Eagles scored TD 3 plays later
  • Commanders - Week 17
  • Romo throws interception returned to Dallas 16 - Cowboys defense intercepted Griffen 3 plays later
  • Packers - Playoff Game
  • Murray fumbled at Cowboys 44 yard line - Packers kicked FG 6 plays later
Defense/ST which put offense in good position
  • Tennessee - Week 2
    • Church intercepted ball and returned to Titans 40 - offense scored TD 4 plays later
  • Rams - Week 3
    • Melton recovered fumble at the Dallas 47 yard line - Cowboys kicked FG 5 plays later
    • Carter intercepted a pass and returned for a TD
  • Saints - Week 4
  • Durant intercepted pass and returned to Saints 39 - Cowboys scored TD 2 plays later
  • Defense forced turnover on downs at Saints 39 - Cowboys scored TD 6 plays later
  • Houston - Week 5
  • Defense forced 3 and out deep in Houston territory, Harris returned punt to Texans 30 yard line - Cowboys scored TD 4 plays later
  • Seahawks - Week 6
  • Cowboys force turnovers on downs at Seattle 23 - Cowboys kick FG 5 plays later
  • Giants - Week 7
  • Durante recovers a fumble at the Giants 27 - Cowboys scored a TD 4 plays later
  • Jaguars - Week 10
  • Spillman recovers muffed punt at Jaguar 6 - Cowboys scored TD 3 plays later
  • Giants - Week 12
  • Church intercepted pass and returned to Giants 48 yard line - Cowboys scored TD 4 plays later
  • Eagles - Week 13
  • Mincey recovered fumble at Eagles 13 yard line - Cowboys kicked FG 4 plays later
  • Bears - Week 14
  • Moore returned fumble to Bears 31 yard line - Cowboys scored TD 3 plays later
  • Eagles - Week 15
  • Spillman recovered fumble on opening kick off at Eagles 18 yard line - Cowboys scored TD 5 plays later
  • Wllcox intercepts pass at Eagles 42 - Cowboys score TD 4 plays later
  • Wilcox recovers fumble at Eagles 34 - Cowboys kick FG 6 plays later
  • Colts - Week 16
  • Punt team prevents fake punt at Colts 19 - Cowboys scored TD on next play
  • Hitchens intercepts pass and returns to Colts 19 - Cowboys miss FG 4 plays later
  • Selvie recovers fumble at Colts 49 - Cowboys fumble 7 plays later
  • Commanders - Week 17
  • Spencer recovered fumble and returned for TD
  • Detroit - Wild Card Game
  • Wilbur intercepted pass and returned to Detroit 19 - Dallas missed FG 4 plays later
The 2014 defense was not weak. They certainly weren't great but this notion they were simply average because of the offense is false. They contributed to the success of the 2014 season. They also had several turnovers at the end of games to help seal victories (e.g. interception to end the Rams game, fumble recovery to end the Lions game).

Now, the 2020 offense (and special teams with failed fake punts) has put this current defense in bad situations and that contributes to their horrible stats. What this defense doesn't do is make many stops and rarely creates favorable field position.

Edit: Not sure how the formatting screwed up after posting but the bullets were formatted correctly prior to submitting. Not going to screw with trying to correct them.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He made one bad throw for sure, and perhaps he shouldn't have thrown the last ditch INT two weeks ago. Cooper rightly took the blame for last weeks game ending INT. If we are dealing with two backup OTs all year then it could be a record setting turnovers for Dak this year.

The int late in the 4th was a good throw, Copper stopped on it. On a quick slant the QB has to release it and put it on the spot, you can't wait to make sure WR runs the rout, if you do it is too late.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question to mods: at what point do these threads start getting merged into one so the crazies can hang out in one place?

Mods, at what point do we censor opinions that offend wittle me?

If we consolidated crazy, every positive post about this team in the last two decades would all be in one thread.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Mods, at what point do we censor opinions that offend wittle me?

If we consolidated crazy, every positive post about this team in the last two decades would all be in one thread.

No one said censor the opinions. And how fun would it be for them to have their own little sandbox where they can discuss all things Dak 24/7 woohoo!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You’re the one that claimed the 2014 offense didn’t hurt the defense. They did. I will happily list all the turnovers and resulting field position tomorrow for you. I can also show how our defense gave our offense favorable field position with the take aways they generated.

I have already acknowledged the TOP the 2014 offense provided.

Not sure exactly what agenda you have but I can guess it is anti-Dak.
Agenda? lol.. I have no agenda. BUT, what is your agenda? My guess is it is pro Dak?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No one said censor the opinions. And how fun would it be for them to have their own little sandbox where they can discuss all things Dak 24/7 woohoo!
funny that the title of this thread lets you know it is about QB and turnovers...... and yet here you are... woo hoo

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I'm not crazy to think Dak is fully to blame but his turnovers were at critical points in the game.

The team is a league worst minus-7 turnover ratio after four games and Dak has a lot of that blame.

Zeke doesnt get a pass with his 2 fumbles lost.

The 2 leaders on the team are making critical errors and we as fans wonder why Cowboys are 1-3
But only half the story!
The defense only getting 2 turnovers has a very big hand in the record ( that and getting run over by the browns).

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Agenda? lol.. I have no agenda. BUT, what is your agenda? My guess is it is pro Dak?
I like Dak, have no problem admitting it. My agenda is to be factual. I've listed out the times the 2014 defense was put in bad spots and listed where they helped out. I acknowledged they got help from ball control issue. Still think I have "revisionist history"?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I like Dak, have no problem admitting it. My agenda is to be factual. I've listed out the times the 2014 defense was put in bad spots and listed where they helped out. I acknowledged they got help from ball control issue. Still think I have "revisionist history"?
yep...... because EVERY offense in the history of the NFL has turnovers that puts the defense in a bad spot... EVER SINGLE ONE. Its where they stand in comparison to the rest of the league?

Where was our team in points off turnovers (for opponents) in 2014 as far as ranking 1-32?

Where do you think this team is currently?

My guess is 2014 is probably somewhere in the middle.

This team is number 1 at points scored by opponents off of turnovers.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
yep...... because EVERY offense in the history of the NFL has turnovers that puts the defense in a bad spot... EVER SINGLE ONE. Its where they stand in comparison to the rest of the league?

Where was our team in points off turnovers (for opponents) in 2014 as far as ranking 1-32?

Where do you think this team is currently?

My guess is 2014 is probably somewhere in the middle.

This team is number 1 at points scored by opponents off of turnovers.
I don’t know man, but you’re the one who thinks that defense was weak and was only average because the offense had TOP and didn’t turn the ball over. I just listed out specifics and all you can do is spin? Did you forget about all those things that occurred that year? I mean you were at 8 games so you should have seen them.

This offense has put the team in bad spots. I have admitted that. We will see if it continues. But the defense is not helping the offense hardly at all. They have one turnover which gave the offense starting field position in opponent territory. That’s on pace for 4 possessions in opponent territory this year.

If you want a better example of an offense that helped the defense, it was the 2016 offense. Put the defense in fewer bad spots and didn’t get as much help as the 2014 offense did either.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don’t know man, but you’re the one who thinks that defense was weak and was only average because the offense had TOP and didn’t turn the ball over. I just listed out specifics and all you can do is spin? Did you forget about all those things that occurred that year? I mean you were at 8 games so you should have seen them.

This offense has put the team in bad spots. I have admitted that. We will see if it continues. But the defense is not helping the offense hardly at all. They have one turnover which gave the offense starting field position in opponent territory. That’s on pace for 4 possessions in opponent territory this year.

If you want a better example of an offense that helped the defense, it was the 2016 offense. Put the defense in fewer bad spots and didn’t get as much help as the 2014 offense did either.
Bottom line is this is a TEAM. You win as one and you lose as one, and if our offense keeps turning it over at our current pace, you can expect a 5-11 or 6-10 season.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Bottom line is this is a TEAM. You win as one and you lose as one, and if our offense keeps turning it over at our current pace, you can expect a 5-11 or 6-10 season.
Probably so, especially if our defense doesn’t help balance it out at all. They have been extremely poor at helping the offense get good field position beginning 2015.