3 lost fumbles - 3 ints by the QB = 1-3

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's always easier sitting back watching. Unless you're in someone else's shoes, one shouldn't criticize. The man was under severe pressure on winning that game.

Try pointing out the positives on our quarterback. You'll have a lot more to discuss.
wwhhhaaaattt...talk about the positives....then what happens to their agenda.....nah, you don't get it. ;)

Reid1boys

Reaction score
7×6=42. That would mean the defense allowed a touchdown on nearly all of them. Don't

So the defense gives up points after every turnover? Is that normal? I don't think that's normal. Does the offense need to clean up the turnovers? Yes. Can they? Yes, especially with Smith back at LT and anyone not named Steele at RT.

That said, if the offense wasn't playing catch up all game they wouldn't need to throw the ball all game and open themselves up for turnovers. That's what people are not considering when they reference said turnovers. Two interceptions were essentially desperation plays, two fumbles were the RT getting beat like a mule allowing instant blindside pressure. How many of those are eliminated with a consistent run game and semi-competent pass protection?
im pretty sure we were up on Cleveland and then had 2 turnovers deep in our own territory, not playing comeback.

we had 3 straight turnovers in the 1st quarter again, deep in our own territory against atlanta, not playing comeback.

Our turnovers hand the ball to the opponent and they are already in scoring position. Hard for a defense to stop the opponent after a turnover when they get it on the 30.

BigD_95

Reaction score
When you come back and you put the team ahead and you give us a chance to win. And the defense can’t make one stop. Don’t dare blame Prescott. He’s doing what he hast to do turnovers a part of the game. Elliot just doesn’t pay attention when he fumbles there’s a difference

his turnovers also put the other teams ahead in the game

BigD_95

Reaction score
im pretty sure we were up on Cleveland and then had 2 turnovers deep in our own territory, not playing comeback.

we had 3 straight turnovers in the 1st quarter again, deep in our own territory against atlanta, not playing comeback.

Our turnovers hand the ball to the opponent and they are already in scoring position. Hard for a defense to stop the opponent after a turnover when they get it on the 30.

Cowboys could have had the lead going into halftime against Seattle. Score was 16-15 Seattle... Cowboys got the ball back for last drive before halftime. Than Dak threw an awful INT. Seattle went down and scored a TD right before halftime making it 23-15.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys could have had the lead going into halftime against Seattle. Score was 16-15 Seattle... Cowboys got the ball back for last drive before halftime. Than Dak threw an awful INT. Seattle went down and scored a TD right before halftime making it 23-15.
Not that I disagree with you because turnovers hurt and they definitely make it hard for a team to win. Just curious though, how do you think this season stacks up with the 2013 season when we had the worst defense in NFL history?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not crazy to think Dak is fully to blame but his turnovers were at critical points in the game.

The team is a league worst minus-7 turnover ratio after four games and Dak has a lot of that blame.

Zeke doesnt get a pass with his 2 fumbles lost.

The 2 leaders on the team are making critical errors and we as fans wonder why Cowboys are 1-3
Look at the fumbles - 2 strips while starting to throw, which are on the blocking, not the QB. The third was him trying to toss a little pass while being tackled, which was probably ill advised, but it was easy to see what he saw and why he attempted it.

As for the INT's, one of the 3 was a desperation, hail mary, and one Cooper gave up on the route. Granted on the hail mary he could have thrown the ball away and had one more attempt, but that would have been a hail mary too.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Look at the fumbles - 2 strips while starting to throw, which are on the blocking, not the QB. The third was him trying to toss a little pass while being tackled, which was probably ill advised, but it was easy to see what he saw and why he attempted it.

As for the INT's, one of the 3 was a desperation, hail mary, and one Cooper gave up on the route. Granted on the hail mary he could have thrown the ball away and had one more attempt, but that would have been a hail mary too.

stop saying 2 of the 3 were desperation. The 1 against Clev was on Dak and Cowboys were still technically in the game. It wasn't some hail marry pass attempt they were inside the red zone

The 1 against Seattle at the end of the game there were 2 receivers actually open and he could have made a better pass and actually scored or threw the ball away.

And as for the fumbles Dak needs better pocket awareness. O-linemen get beat. He needs to be aware and just tuck the ball and take the sack.

Now Im not trying to blame all this on Dak. I get QB have turnovers. My point is Cowboys are leading the lead in negative turnovers. That has contributed to the losses and 1 stat that has always held true is if you lose the turnover battle you most likely lose the game

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

every offense has turnover and their defense overcomes. makes stops. its an excuse that you are giving a pass to the defense, because hey offense had a turnover...what about all the other times they failed to make a stop..

brady threw a pick 6...yet his team over came....so don't give me the excuse that the offense is causing the defensive problems. against cleveland, first 8 drives, they scored 7 times...make a stop for gawd's sake. they gave up 300 yards rushing....300 YARDS...whose fault is that? which team ever won a game, when their defense gives up over 250 yards rushing?

and if you think the above statement you made is correct, then you are demanding PERFECTION from offense. show me a perfect offense game in game out. I will be waiting.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Not that I disagree with you because turnovers hurt and they definitely make it hard for a team to win. Just curious though, how do you think this season stacks up with the 2013 season when we had the worst defense in NFL history?

I get it. Defense is awful. But a lot of that they were put in bad situations. Between turnovers and failed fake punt attempts. Special teams & the offensive is helping matters giving the other teams short fields to work with. But leading the NFL in worst minus-7 turnover ratio isnt going to help you win games either.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stop saying 2 of the 3 were desperation. The 1 against Clev was on Dak and Cowboys were still technically in the game. It wasn't some hail marry pass attempt they were inside the red zone

The 1 against Seattle at the end of the game there were 2 receivers actually open and he could have made a better pass and actually scored or threw the ball away.

And as for the fumbles Dak needs better pocket awareness. O-linemen get beat. He needs to be aware and just tuck the ball and take the sack.

Now Im not trying to blame all this on Dak. I get QB have turnovers. My point is Cowboys are leading the lead in negative turnovers. That has contributed to the losses and 1 stat that has always held true is if you lose the turnover battle you most likely lose the game
I didn't say 2 of the 3 were desperation, I said 1 of the 3.

As for pocket awareness, even the elite of the elite QBs get stripped when the blocking doesn't hold up - that's not unique to Dak.

As for the Seattle throw, it's easy to say he could have seen other receivers, but he almost got sacked and had to struggle to even stay on his feet, so he didn't have the time to calmly survey the field the way you suggest. I will admit, however, that he could have made a better throw. It would have been better to get some air under the throw to give Gallup a chance to go up and get the ball.

As for the turnovers hurting, of course they have. Nobody denies that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

both of those were desparation passes, with fat chance of success. how many times those passes complete and win games...has there been some before? yes. but how many. what are the chances...come on man, blaming Dak for those Int's at the end of the game in desparation mode...you are digging deep for something.

his fumbles are not out of the ordinary. do I wish it was less? yes. who doesn't. but its about what the rest of top QBs have in the league. some even have more and their teams over come.....

laying this historically inept, bad, defense at Dak is just asinine.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I get it. Defense is awful. But a lot of that they were put in bad situations. Between turnovers and failed fake punt attempts. Special teams & the offensive is helping matters giving the other teams short fields to work with. But leading the NFL in worst minus-7 turnover ratio isnt going to help you win games either.
You realize the 2013 defense was also put in bad situations? They also put the offense in some great situations, too?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course there were times the defense was put in bad situations, but that doesn't explain the 36.5 ppg they have given up. We expect the offense to step up and help when the defense makes a mistake, but why shouldn't that be reciprocal? Occasionally the defense needs to step up as well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
this defense gave up 300 yards rushing....doesn't matter where in the field. 300 yards. that's pathetic and no excuse will change that.

they gave up 150+ to rams
113 to falcons
117 to seattle
300 to cleveland.

that has nothing to do with bad field position. that's ineptitude

and how many WR have caught passes being wide, i mean WIDE open, no one within 10 yards. that has nothing to do with field position. they give up an average of 4.9 ypc....that's pathetic....basically rush twice and get a first down against the cowboys....

this defense has progressively gotten worse over the first 4 games....

somehow, someway, other teams are able to overcome their turnovers....their defenses over come, make a stop.....in fact we are middle of the pack in offensive turnovers and dead last in defensive turnovers...

there is no way in heck, this debacle can be placed on the offensive side.

catiii

Reaction score
Yet Romo is still proclaimed at so great by so many of these fans. They made excuses FOR him and blamed the defense. Yet for Dak, they blame him and make excuses for the defense. This thread is evidence of that.
Actually Dak lovers ALSO blame the defense, the weather, the scheme and anything else that comes to mind so your post is pot calling kettle black. Nothing has changed.Some of them are the same ones who called Romo trash and still do. SMH~~~

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Actually Dak lovers ALSO blame the defense, the weather, the scheme and anything else that comes to mind so your post is pot calling kettle black. Nothing has changed.Some of them are the same ones who called Romo trash and still do. SMH~~~
It's the ones who aren't consistent that are the concern. I'd like to see what people think of the 2013 defense now. I think people forget the bad positions they were put in and how often they put the offense in good position because they were the worst defense in franchise history. Seems like some of the posters who blame that season entirely on the defense now understand the importance of protecting the football. That Denver game we lost in a shootout in which our offense turned the ball over twice leading to 10 Broncos points actually did factor in the loss.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Ok, how many of those INTs were from Dak just airing it out because they had no hope left and he was just trying to get something down field? How many of those fumbles are because our O-line is absolute hot garbage - rookies, UDFAs, and washed up superstars. If you are going to blame someone for turnovers blame Zeke, his are 100% his fault. If you actually watch Dak play his ability to get anything done with the amount of pressure he is facing is rediculous. His pocket is the smallest I have ever seen on any given play compared to most NFL teams.

Also, I seem to remember the same people talking about Dak's turnovers now as being the ones who used to say, when he never turned it over but only had 200 yes/game that he "couldn't throw the deep ball" or "I'll believe in Dak when he throws 400+ yards" well here ya go. That much production comes with some turnovers.

There is no excuse, none, zero, ziltch, nada, for a QB/RB/WR/TE to fumble the football. Mistakes happen, fumbles happen, interceptions happen, but just because they happen doesn't mean there are excuses for them. I don't care if all 11 D players hit the QB, RB, wr etc all at the same time, those guys are professionals and paid well to do their job, one of the main requirements of their job is to NOT fumble the football. No excuses for any of them. Period.

Kaiser

Reaction score
As for the Seattle throw, it's easy to say he could have seen other receivers, but he almost got sacked and had to struggle to even stay on his feet, so he didn't have the time to calmly survey the field the way you suggest. I will admit, however, that he could have made a better throw. It would have been better to get some air under the throw to give Gallup a chance to go up and get the ball.

He definitely could have made a better throw but if he gets sacked the game is over and if he throws the ball away for a Hail Mary on the next play, he would be throwing into 8 Seahawks instead of five.

Also he released the ball when there was a tiny window for Noah Brown, but if Brown was a more experienced player he could have come back on the ball to try to catch it closer to the goal line. Its crazy to blame Dak on that play.