big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 Mike McCarthy Replacements Cowboys Should Already Circle After Week 2
Story by Devon Platana
9/16/2024

The Dallas Cowboys' 16-game home win streak ended with a devastating 44-19 loss to the New Orleans Saints at AT&T Stadium on Sunday. While several Cowboys can (and should) be blamed for the embarrassing defeat, a good chunk of fingers are being pointed toward head coach Mike McCarthy.

After all, the 2024 season is a crucial year for the team and head coach. The Cowboys are desperately trying to win their first Super Bowl in nearly 30 years while McCarthy is in the final year of his five-year contract and must do whatever he can to secure an extension.

However, based on Sunday's loss, McCarthy's outlook in Dallas is far from promising. Failing to turn the ship around could cost him his job before the season is even over.

With that in mind, here are three potential McCarthy candidates that the Cowboys must consider following Week 2.

1. Bill Belichick
2. Ben Johnson
3. Steve Spagnuolo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=766ba11bcfed4e7184f6022c79abe07d&ei=17

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Spagnuolo? No.

Ben Johnson would be great but I'd be concerned Jerry will force assistants on him.

Belichick is essentially a lock. Here's why:

1. Jerry is lazy. His two interviews for the last job were Mike McCarthy and Marvin Lewis. McCarthy has the imagination of mayonaise and here's the titles Marvin Lewis has held since the interview:
  • Co-defensve Coordinator, Arizona State
  • Special Advisor, Arizona State
  • Assistant Head Coach, Las Vegas Raiders
Very inspired choices Jerry.

2. Belichick is a big name. Jerry wins the off-season.

3. At 72, Belichick is eyeing Shula's victory record, and Dallas may offer the best opportunity to secure the 26 wins needed over the next three years. He might be open to relinquishing full roster control, allowing Jerry to maintain the facade of being the General Manager.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
You can’t bring in Belicheck as an interim. Hes a complete culture changer. A team needs to go through a whole offseason to prepare for him and what he wants /expects

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jerry was the general manager who, not so anonymously, informed a reporter that Vrabel's presence was too intimidating.

During “The Athletic Football Show” Russini recalled a conversation that she had with an unnamed NFL general manager, who suggested that Vrabel’s physical build may have turned teams off.

“Did you know I had a GM at the Senior Bowl who mentioned to me Vrabel’s physical build,” Russini said. “That he’s a very large human being and can be very intimidating to people in an organization that are going to be part of these decisions. That is a factor.”

loublue22

Reaction score
Jerry was the general manager who, not so anonymously, informed a reporter that Vrabel's presence was too intimidating.

During “The Athletic Football Show” Russini recalled a conversation that she had with an unnamed NFL general manager, who suggested that Vrabel’s physical build may have turned teams off.

“Did you know I had a GM at the Senior Bowl who mentioned to me Vrabel’s physical build,” Russini said. “That he’s a very large human being and can be very intimidating to people in an organization that are going to be part of these decisions. That is a factor.”
that's beyond stupid

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Mike Shanahan lol

Teach our adversaries about the OG Shanahan coaching tree.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Spagnuolo? No.

Ben Johnson would be great but I'd be concerned Jerry will force assistants on him.

Belichick is essentially a lock. Here's why:

1. Jerry is lazy. His two interviews for the last job were Mike McCarthy and Marvin Lewis. McCarthy has the imagination of mayonaise and here's the titles Marvin Lewis has held since the interview:
  • Co-defensve Coordinator, Arizona State
  • Special Advisor, Arizona State
  • Assistant Head Coach, Las Vegas Raiders
Very inspired choices Jerry.

2. Belichick is a big name. Jerry wins the off-season.

3. At 72, Belichick is eyeing Shula's victory record, and Dallas may offer the best opportunity to secure the 26 wins needed over the next three years. He might be open to relinquishing full roster control, allowing Jerry to maintain the facade of being the General Manager.
Something else in Belichick's favor is he has shown he could salad out on nothing. He never had a bunch of high-priced Superstars. Of course, Brady had a lot to do with that offensively but still.....

Also, one young guy I would keep an eye on is the Saints QC, Klint Kubaich. Jerry has some history with his family. His brother Klein is a long-time national scout for the Cowboys. I think his dad Gary now lives in the Dallas area.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Belichick. The fanbase is getting antsy and Jerral needs to make a move. His last big splash at HC was Parcells. Belichick is Parcells' best student. No need to mention his accomplishments. Jerral may even concede personnel decisions. We need someone to see eye to eye with JJ, not just another puppet employee, and I think BB might just be the guy JJ would sign off on.