3 reasons the F.O. Has leverage on Dak if they have the guts to use it

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Giving Dak the no trade clause was a huge mistake but I believe they could be in the drivers seat if they man up and it could help with other negotiations in the future.

1 Dak realistically has 5 or 6 years left in his career and one year could make a huge difference in the only category Dak has an opportunity to shine. Stats! Sitting a year could be the difference between retiring as the leader in several categories or dropping down the list.

2. Dallas truly is a better place to play QB than any other. Aikman and Romo would not have the jobs they currently have if they had played for the Jets. Not to mention the current endorsements and status that comes with QB’ing the Cowboys.

3. He truly wants to be here. There is no other team he would rather play for.

Offer him what you believe he is worth. If he declines. Ask him if he would prefer to be traded or to mentor the other QB’s on the roster and make him the highest paid clipboard holder in the history of the NFL. If he decides to sign do not give him another no trade clause.

Do you want to be the highest paid player in NFL history or do you want to be a champion? If the answer is the prior you’re going to have to do it elsewhere.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Like all of 'em. That ain't news.

But even though I like the approach in the OP I doubt this is how NFL negotiations go. They couldn't justify paying a clip holder that much. If Dak stays, he'll play.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Like all of 'em. That ain't news.

But even though I like the approach in the OP I doubt this is how NFL negotiations go. They couldn't justify paying a clip holder that much. If Dak stays, he'll play.
Like I said. They have the leverage if they have the guts to use it. Or they can bend over again.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Giving Dak the no trade clause was a huge mistake but I believe they could be in the drivers seat if they man up and it could help with other negotiations in the future.

1 Dak realistically has 5 or 6 years left in his career and one year could make a huge difference in the only category Dak has an opportunity to shine. Stats! Sitting a year could be the difference between retiring as the leader in several categories or dropping down the list.

2. Dallas truly is a better place to play QB than any other. Aikman and Romo would not have the jobs they currently have if they had played for the Jets. Not to mention the current endorsements and status that comes with QB’ing the Cowboys.

3. He truly wants to be here. There is no other team he would rather play for.

Offer him what you believe he is worth. If he declines. Ask him if he would prefer to be traded or to mentor the other QB’s on the roster and make him the highest paid clipboard holder in the history of the NFL. If he decides to sign do not give him another no trade clause.

Do you want to be the highest paid player in NFL history or do you want to be a champion? If the answer is the prior you’re going to have to do it elsewhere.
The biggest favor they could do for Prescott is not play him, thereby not subjecting him to injury.

Having no “stats” for 2024 isn’t going to prevent him from getting near record offers as a FA. An injury would.

Also, you can’t be cutthroat like that and expect to continue to do business within the league…and what is the locker room going to look like with Dak on the bench while most of the players want him on the field?

The only way they get a discount is if Dak insists, which I doubt.

Just like the Elliott deal, they got absolutely murdered on the terms and are now paying for it. Either pay a non elite QB elite money or start over.

John813

Reaction score
It’s cute how people think a discount is going to result in free agent signings lol.

He signs for a discount and the team just restructures a bit less to sell most fans they have no capspace.
Rinse repeat.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
The biggest favor they could do for Prescott is not play him, thereby not subjecting him to injury.

Having no “stats” for 2024 isn’t going to prevent him from getting near record offers as a FA. An injury would.

Also, you can’t be cutthroat like that and expect do continue to do business within the league…and what is the locker room going to look like with Dak on the bench while most of the players want him on the field?

The only way they get a discount is if Dak insists, which I doubt.

Just like the Elliott deal, they got absolutely murdered on the terms and are now paying for it. Either pay a non elite QB elite money or start over.
They got murdered on the terms in the previous Dak negotiations and Zeke negotiations because they allowed it. I would hope they learn from it at some point. As far as the other players, they all understand that if the QB is taking up more than 20 percent of the cap that is less for them.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Like I said. They have the leverage if they have the guts to use it. Or they can bend over again.
they dont...plain and simple, leverage is having something the other can only get here..when your talking about NFL QB's and NFL franchises its simply comes down to supply and demand...no team has leverage on a starting quality QB in this league..they simply choose to pay them market rate or choose to move on..they have not had leverage in a while....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas has no leverage. The reasons listed are personal reasons that Dak may decide to want to stay here. But also Dak would be an instant starter should he decide to move on, he wouldn't need to sit a year. He might lose some endorsements but star players get them and he'd still have plenty of businesses paying him. Players no longer live and die with 1 team, they are just football players who happen to be on a team we care about for a short time and then they move on.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dallas has no leverage. The reasons listed are personal reasons that Dak may decide to want to stay here. But also Dak would be an instant starter should he decide to move on, he wouldn't need to sit a year. He might lose some endorsements but star players get them and he'd still have plenty of businesses paying him. Players no longer live and die with 1 team, they are just football players who happen to be on a team we care about for a short time and then they move on.
Right RB's are running short on leverage but not totally out..QB's that can start in the NFL, they have leverage because they can get market value from another Franchise...

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
they dont...plain and simple, leverage is having something the other can only get here..when your talking about NFL QB's and NFL franchises its simply comes down to supply and demand...no team has leverage on a starting quality QB in this league..they simply choose to pay them market rate or choose to move on..they have not had leverage in a while....
The Cowboys do offer something he can only get here. I mentioned those reasons in the original post.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Cowboys do offer something he can only get here. I mentioned those reasons in the original post.
no they dont you guys think every player would rather play in Dallas and that simply not true anymore...No player is taking a paycut to come to Dallas if they have a choice..has this not been proven enough times in FA and such over the last 15 years?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
He could only move on if he agreed to waive the no trade clause. He could be an instant starter elsewhere. That is not being denied. Would he want to be? He could start in Las Vegas and a few other spots. Is that what he wants? Find out!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He could only move on if he agreed to waive the no trade clause. He could be an instant starter elsewhere. That is not being denied. Would he want to be? He could start in Las Vegas and a few other spots. Is that what he wants? Find out!
no he has a much better option..take a ton of jerry's money this year then make Jerry bid for him on the open QB Market next offseason and go to the highest bidder..which i think is what probably will happen..and make no mistake that will be Dak's choice not Jerry's.