3 reasons the F.O. Has leverage on Dak if they have the guts to use it

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
no he has a much better option..take a ton of jerry's money this year then make Jerry bid for him on the open QB Market next offseason and go to the highest bidder..which i think is what probably will happen..and make no mistake that will be Dak's choice not Jerry's.
Only if he allows it.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dallas can either pay Dak $55 million to play in Dallas next year or $40 million for Dak to play elsewhere.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Only if he allows it.
if who alows it? Jerry is not in control at this point..he cant tag him, he cant trade him unless Dak agrees to it...Dak is going to be an FA after next season UNRESTRICTED in every way..unless Jerry pays him what he thinks he can get in FA why would Dak do anything other than play it out this year and go to FA?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dak and his agent carefully negotiated the current contract which includes a no-trade clause and no-tag clause. It's hard to imagine they're not going to milk that for all it's worth. They deliberately orchestrated this scenario.

shabazz

Reaction score
He's already proven he only cares about the bag of cash.
For all the critiquing I've done, I believe winning a title here does matter to him. Jerrys already proven that he won't invest in blue chip FAs, even when he's had the cap room so that's not incentive for Dak to take less.

I belive there are simply a couple things at play here.......

Jerry left himself no out so Dak and his agent are gonna bury it in Jerry, .....to the hilt.
Jerry sees no way out so he just lets the contract play out knowing this roster will lead to a better draft slot for a QB
Dak wouldn't like his legacy to be a failed playoff record, so he allows a trade and moves on.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
if who alows it? Jerry is not in control at this point..he cant tag him, he cant trade him unless Dak agrees to it...Dak is going to be an FA after next season UNRESTRICTED in every way..unless Jerry pays him what he thinks he can get in FA why would Dak do anything other than play it out this year and go to FA?
Because playing it out means sitting on the bench or waiving the no trade clause. It’s almost as if you didn’t read the original post

sunalsorises

Reaction score
this But hey we may get a 3rd round comp..jesus this FO
I temporarily forgot about the third round comp. A third round pick gets what, $3-5 million. I guess they come out ahead if they use that comp pick for the starting QB next year.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dak and his agent carefully negotiated the current contract which includes a no-trade clause and no-tag clause. It's hard to imagine they're not going to milk that for all it's worth. They deliberately orchestrated this scenario.
you mean they took advantage of a billionaire businessman playing House as an NFL GM...yeah thats pretty much the story of the last 28 years and every player.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Because playing it out means sitting on the bench or waiving the no trade clause. It’s almost as if you didn’t read the original post
yup sitting out sure killed D. Watson wew Dak taking a year with no hits on the body after an MVP race season will be done for in FA next offseason...you do actually follow the NFL and the offseasons and how the QB market is..right?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I temporarily forgot about the third round comp. A third round pick gets what, $3-5 million. I guess they come out ahead if they use that comp pick for the starting QB next year.
I mean that would be the highest pick on a QB in a while..lol

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Of course they did. The question is what do the Jones do from here? Bend over again or
yup sitting out sure killed D. Watson wew Dak taking a year with no hits on the body after an MVP race season will be done for in FA next offseason...you do actually follow the NFL and the offseasons and how the QB market is..right?
Watson is a pretty good example. Sure he got the bag after sitting out a year. (Which he had no choice in). What has he won? How many weeks does Dak sit on the bench looking forward to the next year before he decides those few extra millions aren’t worth it? Not to mention he would lose in the long run due to the loss of endorsements.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
LOL. They have no leverage. Stephen is a buffoon. Agents should wear bibs when they negotiate with him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He could only move on if he agreed to waive the no trade clause. He could be an instant starter elsewhere. That is not being denied. Would he want to be? He could start in Las Vegas and a few other spots. Is that what he wants? Find out!
He can move on by playing out his final year under the contract he has. I'm not saying he could move on this year, but next year. Not like they can trade or franchise tag him, the only options are to let him walk or extend him either way he gets paid.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
He can move on by playing out his final year under the contract he has. I'm not saying he could move on this year, but next year. Not like they can trade or franchise tag him, the only options are to let him walk or extend him either way he gets paid.
Playing out the final year would mean holding a clip board. They can trade him if he waived the no trade clause. There are two ways to win here. Sign him to a decent contract or get him to waive the no trade clause. The way to lose is to do more of the same. Pay him like he is the greatest QB to ever play and allow another no trade clause and cave to all of his demands.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Tin Foil hate time...

Assuming this is all real...

I think these things are discussed/agreed upon way in advance. As in...if I am the Owner...I would not have signed Dak to the second contract without having an gentlemen's agreement on the third contract...

If you think that is absurd or crazy...whatever....we are talking a billion dollar industry...

I work out a deal with France that gives him the NTC on Dak's second contract to make him look like a power agent(the NTC can be waived and isnt a major hurdle in most cases) so he can get more clout and clients and be more kosher with the Cowboys in the future...but only allow the NTC if the 3rd contract for Dak based on a couple of scenarios is in place...

Example:

Jerry gives Dak and France the NTC and large contract on the second signing but it is agreed upon that Dak and France dont ask for more than x amount of the cap(i know it fluctuates from year to year but these accountants know how to hash this out) on 3rd contract(assuming Dallas wants to resign) if Dallas has not won a Super Bowl or done well post season.

I am not signing big contracts without knowing what the player wants on the next one and what their expectations are. I think Dak is the perfect example of why there should be somewhat of a gentleman's agreement during the second contract about the third. "Ok...you played well for 4 years on a cheap deal, I want to pay you, Dakota. I think you are a very good QB and love your leadership...I want to pay you the most in the league...but only if we win, Dakota. If I give you this second deal at your desires...what are we doing on your 3rd deal if we have not had success in playoffs or made a Super Bowl? Its going to be hard to get a Super Bowl if you are wanting 23% of cap on your 3rd deal. Can we agree to a deal on your 3rd deal if you are still a good QB but havent had success? What are you contract expectations if you have not looked like Michael Jordan or we have not had post season success, Dakota? I dont want to low-ball you...I want to pay you...but I want to win, Dakota"

In a Billion Dollar industry...I would have the 3rd contract hashed out before signing the 3rd on a position that takes up so much cap.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Tin Foil hate time...

Assuming this is all real...

I think these things are discussed/agreed upon way in advance. As in...if I am the Owner...I would not have signed Dak to the second contract without having an gentlemen's agreement on the third contract...

If you think that is absurd or crazy...whatever....we are talking a billion dollar industry...

I work out a deal with France that gives him the NTC on Dak's second contract to make him look like a power agent(the NTC can be waived and isnt a major hurdle in most cases) so he can get more clout and clients and be more kosher with the Cowboys in the future...but only allow the NTC if the 3rd contract for Dak based on a couple of scenarios is in place...

Example:

Jerry gives Dak and France the NTC and large contract on the second signing but it is agreed upon that Dak and France dont ask for more than x amount of the cap(i know it fluctuates from year to year but these accountants know how to hash this out) on 3rd contract(assuming Dallas wants to resign) if Dallas has not won a Super Bowl or done well post season.

I am not signing big contracts without knowing what the player wants on the next one and what their expectations are. I think Dak is the perfect example of why there should be somewhat of a gentleman's agreement during the second contract about the third. "Ok...you played well for 4 years on a cheap deal, I want to pay you, Dakota. I think you are a very good QB and love your leadership...I want to pay you the most in the league...but only if we win, Dakota. If I give you this second deal at your desires...what are we doing on your 3rd deal if we have not had success in playoffs or made a Super Bowl? Its going to be hard to get a Super Bowl if you are wanting 23% of cap on your 3rd deal. Can we agree to a deal on your 3rd deal if you are still a good QB but havent had success? What are you contract expectations if you have not looked like Michael Jordan or we have not had post season success, Dakota? I dont want to low-ball you...I want to pay you...but I want to win, Dakota"

In a Billion Dollar industry...I would have the 3rd contract hashed out before signing the 3rd on a position that takes up so much cap.
Yep, Jerry definitely knows exactly what he is doing.

28 years and more recently, this off-season, should be ignored. He's playing 3-D chess and the Cowboys will win the next several Super Bowls.