3 reasons the F.O. Has leverage on Dak if they have the guts to use it

Chasing6

Reaction score
Giving Dak the no trade clause was a huge mistake but I believe they could be in the drivers seat if they man up and it could help with other negotiations in the future.

1 Dak realistically has 5 or 6 years left in his career and one year could make a huge difference in the only category Dak has an opportunity to shine. Stats! Sitting a year could be the difference between retiring as the leader in several categories or dropping down the list.

2. Dallas truly is a better place to play QB than any other. Aikman and Romo would not have the jobs they currently have if they had played for the Jets. Not to mention the current endorsements and status that comes with QB’ing the Cowboys.

3. He truly wants to be here. There is no other team he would rather play for.

Offer him what you believe he is worth. If he declines. Ask him if he would prefer to be traded or to mentor the other QB’s on the roster and make him the highest paid clipboard holder in the history of the NFL. If he decides to sign do not give him another no trade clause.

Do you want to be the highest paid player in NFL history or do you want to be a champion? If the answer is the prior you’re going to have to do it elsewhere.
None of that is leverage. Only wishful thinking at best.

If you think any of that is legit, please explain why GM Jethro has not had any of those conversations?

If he was going to trade Dak, his best value would have been at the beginning of free agency.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Yep, Jerry definitely knows exactly what he is doing.

28 years and more recently, this off-season, should be ignored. He's playing 3-D chess and the Cowboys will win the next several Super Bowls.
This post isnt clear to me other than frustration with the FO.

You think my post is/should be how things go...or you are making fun of the post?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Like all of 'em. That ain't news.

But even though I like the approach in the OP I doubt this is how NFL negotiations go. They couldn't justify paying a clip holder that much. If Dak stays, he'll play.
We already have one $5M clipboard holder. I mean, why not add a $55M one as well.

I think that is exactly what most GM's would do, right?

Chasing6

Reaction score
The biggest favor they could do for Prescott is not play him, thereby not subjecting him to injury.

Having no “stats” for 2024 isn’t going to prevent him from getting near record offers as a FA. An injury would.

Also, you can’t be cutthroat like that and expect to continue to do business within the league…and what is the locker room going to look like with Dak on the bench while most of the players want him on the field?

The only way they get a discount is if Dak insists, which I doubt.

Just like the Elliott deal, they got absolutely murdered on the terms and are now paying for it. Either pay a non elite QB elite money or start over.
They got murdered with Elliot and had Pollard in place.

They got nothing after Dak. You think that is leverage? Have you ever played the game called BS? I can smell that from California.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
"Leverage"?

If the Cowboys let Dak reach free agency next year the leverage will come from other teams bidding for his services. I know that. You know that. The Cowboys and Dak and his agent know that.

The Cowboys are doing what they always do. They'll play cheap and cry salary cap until the very last second, then cave in and give the player(s) what they want.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
They got murdered with Elliot and had Pollard in place.

They got nothing after Dak. You think that is leverage? Have you ever played the game called BS? I can smell that from California.
Oh, you live in California? Well, that sure explains a lot of your posts! lol.

No wonder you want Dak to stay with the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dallas can either pay Dak $55 million to play in Dallas next year or $40 million for Dak to play elsewhere.
Then

1. Pay a vet how much to replace him?
OR
2. Trade how many picks to move up in the draft?

Bagman

Reaction score
It’s cute how people think a discount is going to result in free agent signings lol.
Maybe not, but they're LOSING current players who were actually on the team because they can't afford them. Hankins, Armstrong, Fowler and Biadacsz(sp) might still be here if they had an additional $20 million on the cap.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's already proven he only cares about the bag of cash.
You can say the same thing about the other QBs that have been resetting the market ever since he signed his second contract.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Playing out the final year would mean holding a clip board. They can trade him if he waived the no trade clause. There are two ways to win here. Sign him to a decent contract or get him to waive the no trade clause. The way to lose is to do more of the same. Pay him like he is the greatest QB to ever play and allow another no trade clause and cave to all of his demands.
Why do you care what his demands are? You don’t know if his agent has even made any, to date. All the nonsense here about it is pure speculation. It has no basis in truth. In addition, Jerry Jones may not negotiate directly with Dak or vice versa. So if a member of the Cowboys FO made any of the ignorant threats you listed they’d be to Todd France. Todd France is a player agent with Athletes First. His employer employs many top agents who represent many top players in the NFL. And since any negotiation would be taped do you honestly believe the Cowboys would utter such asinine crap? You may not think Jerry Jones is the brightest bulb in the marquee, but I assure you he’s smarter than that. He’s aware of the contract situation with every player. He knows his organization has decisions to make. They’ll be made. At no time is Jerry, Stephen, or any other member of Dallas Cowboys organization going to go “off the rails” with crazy threats to Prescott or any other player. It’s not a question of guts or leverage. Jerry Jones will handle contract negotiations in a professional manner, not like some kind of nit wit.

shabazz

Reaction score
Fair counter point. I can't wait to get out of here.
I feel that. It's too bad because California is an absolute beautiful diversity of forest, ocean, desert and beautiful weather......it's just the other stuff that makes it tough to deal with.

The great news is that if you're lucky enough to have property to sell there you can take that windfal, and live an even better lifestyle elsewhere in the country.......naturally heading to the east coast delivers the same crap.

Head east and don't go past West Virginia!