3 reasons the F.O. Has leverage on Dak if they have the guts to use it

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Giving Dak the no trade clause was a huge mistake but I believe they could be in the drivers seat if they man up and it could help with other negotiations in the future.

1 Dak realistically has 5 or 6 years left in his career and one year could make a huge difference in the only category Dak has an opportunity to shine. Stats! Sitting a year could be the difference between retiring as the leader in several categories or dropping down the list.

2. Dallas truly is a better place to play QB than any other. Aikman and Romo would not have the jobs they currently have if they had played for the Jets. Not to mention the current endorsements and status that comes with QB’ing the Cowboys.

3. He truly wants to be here. There is no other team he would rather play for.

Offer him what you believe he is worth. If he declines. Ask him if he would prefer to be traded or to mentor the other QB’s on the roster and make him the highest paid clipboard holder in the history of the NFL. If he decides to sign do not give him another no trade clause.

Do you want to be the highest paid player in NFL history or do you want to be a champion? If the answer is the prior you’re going to have to do it elsewhere.
Has Jerry showed the backbone to take this course of action this century?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giving Dak the no trade clause was a huge mistake but I believe they could be in the drivers seat if they man up and it could help with other negotiations in the future.

1 Dak realistically has 5 or 6 years left in his career and one year could make a huge difference in the only category Dak has an opportunity to shine. Stats! Sitting a year could be the difference between retiring as the leader in several categories or dropping down the list.

2. Dallas truly is a better place to play QB than any other. Aikman and Romo would not have the jobs they currently have if they had played for the Jets. Not to mention the current endorsements and status that comes with QB’ing the Cowboys.

Offer him what you believe he is worth. If he declines. Ask him if he would prefer to be traded or to mentor the other QB’s on the roster and make him the highest paid clipboard holder in the history of the NFL. If he decides to sign do not give him another no trade clause.

Do you want to be the highest paid player in NFL history or do you want to be a champion? If the answer is the prior you’re going to have to do it elsewhere.
Dak be a MENTOR to what and for what........????????????????????............Dumb Deer in the Headlights couldn't read a defense if his life depended on it DAK?????
1jz2bl.jpg

Here's an idea make him a Post June 1st cut and cut your losses with this losing pig of player who only consumes and produces nothing but boring post-game interviews!

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Horrible post. It implies the worst GM in the league is somehow gonna become King Midas with money saved on Dak's new contract.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is highly likely Jerry Jones has already communicated an offer expressing his valuation of Dak Prescott's current worth. No news means Prescott disagreed and Jones has either not extended another valuation or has extended another valuation Prescott has rejected also.

Additionally, it is just as likely Jones has already asked about a trade to stimulate extension negotiations. It would not be necessary for Prescott to agree to a trade if the tactic was successful in igniting discussion between both parties.

However, it would also be an opportunity for Prescott to re-emphasize either his rejection of all trade scenario or stipulate specific trading partners he would only agree with. Franchise quarterbacks have been known to include this stipulation in their contract. If true, contract talks may have stalled because none of the teams, Prescott has specified, have communicated their desire in acquiring him to-date. The possibility exists that one or more teams might consider contacting Jones during the draft if it fits their plans. The possibility is low in my opinion though.

There is an exceptionally low possibility of Prescott taking a demotion with Dallas. The scenario increases somewhat with another team but that needle will barely move towards that happening also. This particular scenario has rarely happened and when it has, it is because the player has accepted the reality of becoming a backup quarterback. There has been zero indication Prescott desires voluntarily going through that transition right now.

Even Jones is not ignorant enough to agree to another no trade clause if he and Prescott agree to an extension. Prescott has reached the stage of his career where he cannot command the stipulation since Jones' valuation of him does not demand it.

csirl

Reaction score

The elephant in the room is that leverage in contract negotiations means nothing if the team has no interest in extending him. There wont be any negotiations.

The endorsements thing over being the Cowboys QB is way over played. Dak doesnt have much profile outside Dallas and doesnt attract the same widespread level of interest as the likes of Mahomes, Allen, Purdy, Hurts etc. For example, I"ve never seen a TV advert with Dak in it nor have I ever seen him making a TV appearance other than at games/training camp (I dont live in Texas).

Flamma

Reaction score

I don't see how anyone can think our front office has leverage on Dak. He's going to get paid whether or not we pay him. At least that's his mindset. That's the complete opposite of leverage.

Motorola

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is that leverage in contract negotiations means nothing if the team has no interest in extending him. There wont be any negotiations.

The endorsements thing over being the Cowboys QB is way over played. Dak doesnt have much profile outside Dallas and doesnt attract the same widespread level of interest as the likes of Mahomes, Allen, Purdy, Hurts etc. For example, I"ve never seen a TV advert with Dak in it nor have I ever seen him making a TV appearance other than at games/training camp (I dont live in Texas).
I live in Metro Atlanta. Last year/season i've only seen one commercial with Prescott - an ad about purchasing paint at Lowes.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see how anyone can think our front office has leverage on Dak. He's going to get paid whether or not we pay him. At least that's his mindset. That's the complete opposite of leverage.
It comes from either not understanding how contractual agreements are negotiated, imagining unrealistic scenarios, or both.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Has Jerry showed the backbone to take this course of action this century?
Yep, we all know it's Jerry trying to play the hard negotiator and most/some expect him to capitulate in the end.
This is the MAIN reason we need a proper GM, Jerry and his love of his 'stars' is the reason he's played like a fiddle in contract negotiations.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

That depends upon whether Dak wants the money via endorsements or as being one of the top QB's (by any metric). I'm sure if he can be identified as a 'top 123' QB by guaranteed or AAV, he won't care about the actual amount.
I do think you're missing the Jerry Effect, the friend to the stars.....he may try and be nonchalant atm, he tried with Zeke....Jerry will fold, its why he's such a bad GM.

Creeper

Reaction score
The best leverage Dallas has if they want to use it is the threat of sitting Dak for a year forcing him to waive his no-trade clause. I don't buy that Dallas is a great place to play for a QB. Dallas QBs get more hate than anywhere else in America. Dak could go up to Minnesota and be a fan favorite, for example.

But, I don't see the benefit of sitting Dak for a year. It would look bad for the franchise for one thing, if that matters to Jerry.

What Jerry needs to do, if he has no intention of re-signed Dak, is sit down with Dak and be honest. Tell him they don't think they can pay him $60 million and win. It's just the way the league is right now. Tell him they want to move on and that means playing Lance or someone else at QB. Tell Dak they won't re-sign him next year but if he wants to work out a trade with some other team the Cowboys will accommodate him otherwise he will go through 2024 on the bench.

Now is the time to do it. After the draft is too late.

Jerry needs to tell Dak his best offer. For me it would be $50 million including incentives.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep, we all know it's Jerry trying to play the hard negotiator and most/some expect him to capitulate in the end.
This is the MAIN reason we need a proper GM, Jerry and his love of his 'stars' is the reason he's played like a fiddle in contract negotiations.
Truth!!!!!

My3Sons

Reaction score
Do nothing to improve the OL or WR rooms. That will cost him more than anything else.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Soup and beds all over the place.
Has faded a bit every post playoff.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Dak be a MENTOR to what and for what........????????????????????............Dumb Deer in the Headlights couldn't read a defense if his life depended on it DAK?????
1jz2bl.jpg

Here's an idea make him a Post June 1st cut and cut your losses with this losing pig of player who only consumes and produces nothing but boring post-game interviews!
we did some good things, we like what we did, they're a great team, we're a great team, we're going to go back to the films, watch films, and we'll get better from this