3 unproven players who need to breakout for the Dallas Cowboys in 2024

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

3 unproven players who need to breakout for the Dallas Cowboys in 2024​

Story by Shane Taylor, Inside The Star

With the Dallas Cowboys doing nothing in the 2024 free agent pool, this team will need the young players to step up this season.

If the Cowboys don't get production from any of the younger players on the roster, the season could all be over by the time they hit Thanksgiving.

That said, let's look at a few players who need to find their groove this season so the Cowboys have any chance of competing.

1. Jalen Tolbert
2. Mazi Smith
3. T.J. Bass

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=6f9d1f5ac7e94567936fc4433ee89fe6&ei=26

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Tolbert will be fine, and so will Bass but we will see with Mazi. Fans have to keep in mind he's playing a position that's not going to have a lot of stats. So I think a successful season for him would be breaking the starting line-up and starting 16/17 games regardless of stats.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Tolbert will be fine, and so will Bass but we will see with Mazi. Fans have to keep in mind he's playing a position that's not going to have a lot of stats. So I think a successful season for him would be breaking the starting line-up and starting 16/17 games regardless of stats.
I would add Sam Williams to that list as well. Dude needs to pick up the slack for both Armstrong and Fowler departing. But there is a sneaky option available there in Gholson. They could kick him back outside and have a nice rotational piece to take over for Armstrong and let Williams play the Fowler role. As I type this I am less concerned about the depth at DE than I was when I started this post. Both Gholson and Williams are good against the run and we know how explosive Williams is as a pass rusher. The Mazi thing you are dead on. HE won't have big personal stats but if we see our ILBs all getting TFLs and stuffs at the line then we will know Mazi is doing his job.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I would add Sam Williams to that list as well. Dude needs to pick up the slack for both Armstrong and Fowler departing. But there is a sneaky option available there in Gholson. They could kick him back outside and have a nice rotational piece to take over for Armstrong and let Williams play the Fowler role. As I type this I am less concerned about the depth at DE than I was when I started this post. Both Gholson and Williams are good against the run and we know how explosive Williams is as a pass rusher. The Mazi thing you are dead on. HE won't have big personal stats but if we see our ILBs all getting TFLs and stuffs at the line then we will know Mazi is doing his job.
They should trade Williams, if possible. The guy doesn't have the football IQ needed. The dumb penalties will eventually happen at the worst possible time. The talent is there, but only from the shoulders down....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Sam is exactly the one I was going to say too, it's time for him to do something, if not, he can go to washington and join some familiar faces

stiletto

Reaction score
I think #1 and #3 can be decent players actually. I'm worried about Mazi simply because I never saw the guy flash #1 level skill ONE time all last season. For a top round pick to not show anything was concerning. He will have to make a 180 degree turnaround. I'm not too hopeful quite honestly. We'll see.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams is a good player, he just makes too many mental mistakes. This can be a product of poor coaching also. Let's give this guy a chance because he can be a beast at times.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think #1 and #3 can be decent players actually. I'm worried about Mazi simply because I never saw the guy flash #1 level skill ONE time all last season. For a top round pick to not show anything was concerning. He will have to make a 180 degree turnaround. I'm not too hopeful quite honestly. We'll see.
yeah because he has 2 more years to be something great as DT's need time to develop (sarcasm). It took me a few plays to see what he WASN'T, soon as I said it, instant bashing! Now a lot of people see it

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Williams is a good player, he just makes too many mental mistakes. This can be a product of poor coaching also. Let's give this guy a chance because he can be a beast at times.
what exactly makes him good??? his size/speed/potential???

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
We need more than that.

Rico will need to improve as well as Jalen Brooks, Schoonmaker and Tolbert.

On the line we need Bass and Hoffman to be starting quality by the beginning of the season.

Defensively, Sam Williams and Mazi are the most important but improvement from Clark and Donovan Wilson is also vital.

stiletto

Reaction score
yeah because he has 2 more years to be something great as DT's need time to develop (sarcasm). It took me a few plays to see what he WASN'T, soon as I said it, instant bashing! Now a lot of people see it
It's insane to say that a 1st round pick needs 2 more years to "develop". Why take him so high if that's the case? Doesn't make sense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

3 unproven players who need to breakout for the Dallas Cowboys in 2024​

Story by Shane Taylor, Inside The Star

With the Dallas Cowboys doing nothing in the 2024 free agent pool, this team will need the young players to step up this season.

If the Cowboys don't get production from any of the younger players on the roster, the season could all be over by the time they hit Thanksgiving.

That said, let's look at a few players who need to find their groove this season so the Cowboys have any chance of competing.

1. Jalen Tolbert
2. Mazi Smith
3. T.J. Bass

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=6f9d1f5ac7e94567936fc4433ee89fe6&ei=26
Muk also

Einstein

Reaction score
What about the never seen Viliami Fehoko Jr.? Or is actually making the game day roster enough of a breakout for him?

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
I would put Overshown and Clark at #1 with Mazi. That will make or break the defense next year. Sam Williams also needs to step up with Armstrong leaving but that's a smaller problem.

1942willys

Reaction score
We need twice that many to shine for this team to even match what we did this last year. Overshown and Bass and AT least one of the other O line guys have to step up; DL just as badly.
LB, DL, OL we meed two from each to step up big time

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It's insane to say that a 1st round pick needs 2 more years to "develop". Why take him so high if that's the case? Doesn't make sense.
Poor scouting or something i'm not sure, we could have got someone else in a later round for this. They must don't pay too much attention to what the scouts are saying etc, they got in love with him doing 900 lbs on a workout machine, and him jumping up steps