30 points a game is the key

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak struggles against pressing defenses . Couldn’t even score 1 TD against saints ,’colts , patriots , eagles , etc .
This is a simplistic view taking the easy way of just blaming everything on the QB without bothering with the full picture.

Aside from the fact the Cowboys didn't play the Colts last year ….

If you watched the Saints game, you saw a completely different game plan than the first 3 weeks - the game plan went ultra conservative, and failed because of that, and because we could only muster 45 rushing yards, and lost 2 fumbles.

The Patriot game, if you bothered to watch that one, was in bad conditions, and the Pats barely outscored the Cowboys in a very low scoring game. Brady was no better than Dak, and scoring was tough for both teams.

As for the Eagles, it's false to say Dak couldn't score a TD against them. In fact, the first time they played he scored 2 TD's, and the team scored 37 points. The second time, admittedly was different, and Dak didn't play particularly well, but, again, the running game is what really failed. Dak had 265 yards passing, but the running game only had 54 yards.

12+88=7

Reaction score
And again if averaging 30 points was so easy then at least a forth of the league would be doing that every year but that doesn't happen. I could say gee if Elliott averaged 250 yards a game we would be unbeaten but that's not any more realistic than you saying the Cowboys should/could average 30 points a game for an entire season.

Last year Dallas was 46 points short of this mark.

Is it so out of this world that the offense this year with Lamb, Jarwin, Elliott not holding out, and Pollard in his second year could not achieve this mark.

I think they can.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I thought Dak was the problem? If we have to score 30 points, doesn't that mean that the defense is the problem?

We averaged 27 points a game last year. A few DT's and, some turnovers and a few less missed FG's and we are there. Offense really doesn't have to do much of anything.

The offense needs to be more consistent week to week. That's the PROBLEM they had last year.

A consistent offense averaging 30 points elevates Dallas into the contender/favorite category regardless of the defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Having a real HC that knows how to make a game plan and not panic will do wonders. And then a defense that can put the offense in good field position or give a momentum change for an easy score when they are struggling will also go a looooong way.

All offenses get shut down from time to time. Cowboys 90's teams it happened to as well.

However, I think we can all agree that even last years team didn't show up at all in certain games. And Im not just talking about New England in the rain.

Issue with the Cowboys last year was NOT the defense. Not by a long shot.

basel90

Reaction score
This is a simplistic view taking the easy way of just blaming everything on the QB without bothering with the full picture.

Aside from the fact the Cowboys didn't play the Colts last year ….

If you watched the Saints game, you saw a completely different game plan than the first 3 weeks - the game plan went ultra conservative, and failed because of that, and because we could only muster 45 rushing yards, and lost 2 fumbles.

The Patriot game, if you bothered to watch that one, was in bad conditions, and the Pats barely outscored the Cowboys in a very low scoring game. Brady was no better than Dak, and scoring was tough for both teams.

As for the Eagles, it's false to say Dak couldn't score a TD against them. In fact, the first time they played he scored 2 TD's, and the team scored 37 points. The second time, admittedly was different, and Dak didn't play particularly well, but, again, the running game is what really failed. Dak had 265 yards passing, but the running game only had 54 yards.
You’re making excuses for a QB who thinks ( and some fans wrongfully think) he is elite . The colts game reference to 2018 , which also included some other debacles ( Tennessee game etc etc ) .
When you mention the excuse for the loss to the saints is due to low rushing yardage , it is exactly why Dak fails . Teams who stop the run are daring our elite Dak to beat them , and he fails consistently. The hype of the stats is blinding many to the problem ; Dak is mediocre.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re making excuses for a QB who thinks ( and some fans wrongfully think) he is elite . The colts game reference to 2018 , which also included some other debacles ( Tennessee game etc etc ) .
When you mention the excuse for the loss to the saints is due to low rushing yardage , it is exactly why Dak fails . Teams who stop the run are daring our elite Dak to beat them , and he fails consistently. The hype of the stats is blinding many to the problem ; Dak is mediocre.
I'm not saying he's perfect, and readily admit Dak has his flaws, but it's nonsensical to not look at how actual games are played and just say it's all and only on the QB and has nothing to do with the rest of the team. I don't have to make excuses to combat that viewpoint because it's a viewpoint without thought , because it's a viewpoint absent thought.

Reaction score
Sure there was some garbage time stats, although I think some tend to exaggerate that point, as if almost all 2019 stats were built on garbage time, but, again, that goes to consistency. But why throw out all division games? I get Washington and NY, but Philly had an above average defense. And you can't just dismiss points scored as all based on garbage time either. The Cowboys were in the game the whole way against Minnesota, for example, and they had a quality defense. They blew out the Rams. Even against Green Bay, yes, they were playing catch up much of the game, but it was still a monster game. Even teams with a lead don't normally give up 563 yards in offense. And then, there were the games where the Cowboys got the lead early, and they were the team pulling in the reins, particularly the early games. They could have put up a lot more points and yards in those.

So, the point is, I don't disagree that, in general, the Cowboys didn't play as well against better teams, but just pinning everything on that and saying all their stats and points were built on garbage time isn't fair either. And, really, it's still just all a lack of consistency anyway.

I think it's more than a lack of "focus" that's plaguing the offense, more like a lack of ability to read defenses or adjust in real time. Perhaps the previous system made these things too difficult and a new system will make things better.

black label

Reaction score
This d is going to do much better
That's means no soft butter later in the game
Which means trouble for a guy that panics lol

basel90

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's perfect, and readily admit Dak has his flaws, but it's nonsensical to not look at how actual games are played and just say it's all and only on the QB and has nothing to do with the rest of the team. I don't have to make excuses to combat that viewpoint because it's a viewpoint without thought , because it's a viewpoint absent thought.
Jason was coach along with some of his coaches certainly take the blame for many of these losses , it is not all on Dak’s shoulders . But his game time plays whenever there was a decent defense , or the running game was stalled , raises a lot of questions. Hope you are right, and Dak wins big next season .

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Last year Dallas was 46 points short of this mark.

Is it so out of this world that the offense this year with Lamb, Jarwin, Elliott not holding out, and Pollard in his second year could not achieve this mark.

I think they can.

It's one thing to do it a lot and another thing to do it for the entire season.m, I actually said it wrong, you expect the Cowboys to score 30 or more points in every game which is different than averaging 30 points because a team can have some blow out wins scoring 42 or more points that make up for the games they don't score 30 points. But you put this magical number of 30 points a game, but again there have been many more Super Bowl winners that didn't do that then those that have. So yes having the Cowboys score 30 or more points EVERY game is like what I said about Elliott getting 250 yards every game it's not a realistic plan. Having both a balanced offense and defense will get the Cowboys farther.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason was coach along with some of his coaches certainly take the blame for many of these losses , it is not all on Dak’s shoulders . But his game time plays whenever there was a decent defense , or the running game was stalled , raises a lot of questions. Hope you are right, and Dak wins big next season .
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hold Dak blameless at all, I just think things get exaggerated with him at times, and blame gets placed without understanding the whole story.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I should have said couldn't instead of could.

But that's it. The defense gets accused of a bad game when the offense goes 51 minutes between scores.

Dallas played behind most of the time because the offense didn't show up in the 1st half

Hopefully that's fixed

The Chiefs, 49ers, and Patriots each won 5 games when they failed to score 30 points.

Dallas lost every game where they failed to score 30 points.

And your conclusion is that's the fault of the offense? Genius. :facepalm:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense needs to be more consistent week to week. That's the PROBLEM they had last year.

A consistent offense averaging 30 points elevates Dallas into the contender/favorite category regardless of the defense.

And a consistent defense holding teams to 17 ppg would allow the Cowboys to win more regardless of the offense.

See how that works both ways?

The goal shouldn’t be to have a defense so bad the offense has to score 30 every game.

Last edited:

12+88=7

Reaction score
And a consistent defense holding teams to 17 ppg would allow the Cowboys to win more regardless of the offense.

See how that works both ways?

The goal shouldn’t be to have a defense so bad the offense has to score 30 every game.

The defense in wins gave up 17 points and in losses 24, a 6 point differential.

The offense scored 37 points in wins and 17 in losses, a 20 point differential.

It's about consistency. Dallas had the most inconsistent offense in the NFL last year. There was no number two.

P.S. Dallas lost three games when the opponent scored 17 or LESS points.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The Chiefs, 49ers, and Patriots each won 5 games when they failed to score 30 points.

Dallas lost every game where they failed to score 30 points.

And your conclusion is that's the fault of the offense? Genius. :facepalm:

Where did I say that? I said what was obvious. The offense lost at least 4 games last year so ya it was their fault sometimes.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense in wins gave up 17 points and in losses 24, a 6 point differential.

The offense scored 37 points in wins and 17 in losses, a 20 point differential.

It's about consistency. Dallas had the most inconsistent offense in the NFL last year. There was no number two.

P.S. Dallas lost three games when the opponent scored 17 or LESS points.
I've agreed all along it's about consistency, but consistency doesn't mean 30 points are required every game. And consistency doesn't mean you have to put together that kind of offense to cover for your defense. The best possible team with be proficient, and consistent, on both sides of the ball. And the reality is that even when a team averages 30 ppg, that isn't built on scoring 30 every game. Some games might be 35-40, and others may be 20-25. The key isn't hitting 30, it's avoiding being in the teens too often.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I've agreed all along it's about consistency, but consistency doesn't mean 30 points are required every game. And consistency doesn't mean you have to put together that kind of offense to cover for your defense. The best possible team with be proficient, and consistent, on both sides of the ball. And the reality is that even when a team averages 30 ppg, that isn't built on scoring 30 every game. Some games might be 35-40, and others may be 20-25. The key isn't hitting 30, it's avoiding being in the teens too often.

I'm sorry you have misunderstood. The 30 point is an average, not every game. That's 480 points in a year.

If the Dallas offense doesn't have those huge peaks and valleys and are more consistent week to week. Dallas will have one of the top records in the NFC and will be considered legit contenders to win a title.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry you have misunderstood. The 30 point is an average, not every game. That's 480 points in a year.

If the Dallas offense doesn't have those huge peaks and valleys and are more consistent week to week. Dallas will have one of the top records in the NFC and will be considered legit contenders to win a title.
But average doesn't equal consistency, and that doesn't somehow change if the average is 30. A 40 point game and a 20 point game averages to be 30 ppg.

The Cowboys scoring average was easily high enough to be better than 8-8. They were 6th in the NFL in scoring. And as for the 30 mark, only one team averaged that last year, and that was not the Super Bowl winner.

The problem wasn't the average, it was how that average was built. The 44 points against the Rams and 37 against the Eagles were great, but if we could have shaved 10 points off each of those games and added those 20 points to the Saints, Pats and 2nd Eagles game, the season scoring average would have been exactly the same, and we would have had an 11-5 record.

12+88=7

Reaction score
But average doesn't equal consistency, and that doesn't somehow change if the average is 30. A 40 point game and a 20 point game averages to be 30 ppg.

The Cowboys scoring average was easily high enough to be better than 8-8. They were 6th in the NFL in scoring. And as for the 30 mark, only one team averaged that last year, and that was not the Super Bowl winner.

The problem wasn't the average, it was how that average was built. The 44 points against the Rams and 37 against the Eagles were great, but if we could have shaved 10 points off each of those games and added those 20 points to the Saints, Pats and 2nd Eagles game, the season scoring average would have been exactly the same, and we would have had an 11-5 record.

I posted this before. Last year we saw too much 44 against LA, then 9 versus Philadelphia, followed with 47 against Washington.

That was the problem with the offense, it was feast or famine.

Dallas scored 434 points last year, 46 points short of the 30ppg mark.

If the offense becomes more consistent the Dallas record will improve without any improvement to the defense. Now with defensive improvement and offensive consistency, Dallas is the team to beat.