30 points a game is the key

12+88=7

Reaction score
When was the last time we had a so-called "Shootout" game?
We can't keep up the reasons I leave with you.....
I should have said couldn't instead of could.

But that's it. The defense gets accused of a bad game when the offense goes 51 minutes between scores.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
#11 in points against means two thirds of the NFL couldn't stop anyone.

Defense gave up 17 points in wins, 23 in losses.
Offense scored 37 points in wins, 17 in losses.
What’s your point. I’ma little slow.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
#11 against the points is one of the worst in the league?

Consistency over the course of the year, 16 games. Yes, the defense was more consistent.

Look at all 16 games, not just the ones to prove a point. If you do this, it will slap you in the face how much more consistent the defense was over the offense.

That 11th ranking was in the yards given up. It’s a misleading ranking because it has to do with yards. It doesn’t point to our inability to make critical stops or get takeaways. We seldom give our offense a short field.

12+88=7

Reaction score
That 11th ranking was in the yards given up. It’s a misleading ranking because it has to do with yards. It doesn’t point to our inability to make critical stops or get takeaways. We seldom give our offense a short field.

No.

The Dallas defense was 9th in yards and 11th in points allowed last year.

One of the worst defenses in the NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We lost to Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, Teddy Bridgewater who was a backup and Kyle Allen who had some of the weakest passing numbers of any starting QB in the league. We even made Jeff Driskel who was released by Detroit look like a viable NFL QB. Driskel, Trubisky and Allen combined for over 150 yards rushing and 3 rushing TDs against us.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No.

The Dallas defense was 9th in yards and 11th in points allowed last year.

One of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Last time I checked we were 11th in yards and moved up to 9th by the season finale. The main reason we didn’t give up a lot of points is because we generated a lot of offense which kept our defense off the field. We didn’t turn the ball over a lot leaving our defense short fields to defend. We jumped ahead of several teams by 2 or more scores which helped our defense. A great offense can be your best defense. It keeps your defense off the field.

basel90

Reaction score
No, I' saying the number 30 is important. It was last year.
Dak struggles against pressing defenses . Couldn’t even score 1 TD against saints ,’colts , patriots , eagles , etc .

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas played behind most of the time because the offense didn't show up in the 1st half

Hopefully that's fixed

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Games won when scoring less than 30 points last season:

Chiefs - 5
Patriots - 5
49ers - 5

Cowboys - 0

You can't just expect to put up 30, outscore everyone, then complain about the offense when it doesn't happen. That's ridiculous.

Complete teams can win in multiple ways. The 2019 Cowboys could only win one way. When that didn't happen, they lost.

Reaction score
Playing well against both good and not so good defense is part of consistency means. The Eagles defense was 13 in points allowed, and the Cowboys scored 37 one time, and 10 the next. That's the same defense, but very different results. As for better defenses, they only played 3 top 10 defenses, and scored more points and gained more yards than those defenses averaged in 2 of the 3. Slow starts and little help from the defense hurt them in those games.

That's a mess of mismanaged numbers,,, throw out the division games for one thing, and throw out points scored as well, we witnessed plenty of garbage time stats as the Cowboys tried to stage too-little-too-late comebacks. Come on now, it's painfully obvious this offense just had a few things they could do well enough to win, they were too easy to pressure and confuse.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You can't win a championship without a good defense.

But put a great consistent offense the can average 30 points a game with a good defense and your chances in today's NFL increase exponentially.

Now lets look at your idea a little closer. Since 2003 there have been a single team every year except 2 when there were two and 3 seasons when there were no teams that averaged 30 points a game. Yet in those same years teams that didn't average 30 points a game have won the Super Bowl and what do those teams have in common, have really good defenses. Really good defenses that made it so the offense didn't have to score 30 points to win. Really good defenses that got turnovers that gave the offense more opportunities to score more than the other team. Really good defenses that caused a lot of 3 and outs and giving the offense shorter fields to work with. Now on the other side of that coin what did most of the teams that did average 30 points that won Super Bowls have in common, they didn't have really good defenses so they had to sore 30 or more points to win games.

So what you're saying is that since in most seasons there's only one team that averages 30 or more points a game and seldom has that same team done it in back to back seasons, that the Cowboys should be that team year after year. I like thinking in reality and not fantasy land. Yes I would be thrilled if the Cowboys did that, but I also live in reality and know the chances of the Cowboys doing that year after year are about the same as me winning the jackpot in powerball..

12+88=7

Reaction score
Now lets look at your idea a little closer. Since 2003 there have been a single team every year except 2 when there were two and 3 seasons when there were no teams that averaged 30 points a game. Yet in those same years teams that didn't average 30 points a game have won the Super Bowl and what do those teams have in common, have really good defenses. Really good defenses that made it so the offense didn't have to score 30 points to win. Really good defenses that got turnovers that gave the offense more opportunities to score more than the other team. Really good defenses that caused a lot of 3 and outs and giving the offense shorter fields to work with. Now on the other side of that coin what did most of the teams that did average 30 points that won Super Bowls have in common, they didn't have really good defenses so they had to sore 30 or more points to win games.

So what you're saying is that since in most seasons there's only one team that averages 30 or more points a game and seldom has that same team done it in back to back seasons, that the Cowboys should be that team year after year. I like thinking in reality and not fantasy land. Yes I would be thrilled if the Cowboys did that, but I also live in reality and know the chances of the Cowboys doing that year after year are about the same as me winning the jackpot in powerball..
I didn't say year after year.

How about starting with this year for averaging 30 a game.

Let's not score 44 one week, 9 the next, and then 47. Then say look at the #1 offense in the NFL. The wild swings week to week need to stop.

Average 30 points and be consistent week after week and Dallas will be the favorite to win it all, despite what the fanbase or pundits think of the defense(it'll be good enough).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a mess of mismanaged numbers,,, throw out the division games for one thing, and throw out points scored as well, we witnessed plenty of garbage time stats as the Cowboys tried to stage too-little-too-late comebacks. Come on now, it's painfully obvious this offense just had a few things they could do well enough to win, take those away and it turned into a ****-show.
Sure there was some garbage time stats, although I think some tend to exaggerate that point, as if almost all 2019 stats were built on garbage time, but, again, that goes to consistency. But why throw out all division games? I get Washington and NY, but Philly had an above average defense. And you can't just dismiss points scored as all based on garbage time either. The Cowboys were in the game the whole way against Minnesota, for example, and they had a quality defense. They blew out the Rams. Even against Green Bay, yes, they were playing catch up much of the game, but it was still a monster game. Even teams with a lead don't normally give up 563 yards in offense. And then, there were the games where the Cowboys got the lead early, and they were the team pulling in the reins, particularly the early games. They could have put up a lot more points and yards in those.

So, the point is, I don't disagree that, in general, the Cowboys didn't play as well against better teams, but just pinning everything on that and saying all their stats and points were built on garbage time isn't fair either. And, really, it's still just all a lack of consistency anyway.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak struggles against pressing defenses . Couldn’t even score 1 TD against saints ,’colts , patriots , eagles , etc .

:banghead:

Heck Dak also set the scoreless TD record for our offense going 15 str8 Quarters of offense without 1 TD....:facepalm:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I didn't say year after year.

How about starting with this year for averaging 30 a game.

Let's not score 44 one week, 9 the next, and then 47. Then say look at the #1 offense in the NFL. The wild swings week to week need to stop.

Average 30 points and be consistent week after week and Dallas will be the favorite to win it all, despite what the fanbase or pundits think of the defense(it'll be good enough).

And again if averaging 30 points was so easy then at least a forth of the league would be doing that every year but that doesn't happen. I could say gee if Elliott averaged 250 yards a game we would be unbeaten but that's not any more realistic than you saying the Cowboys should/could average 30 points a game for an entire season.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Its all meaningless nonsense and doesn't matter.
You think teams game plan to score 30 points...lol
You think teams game plan to keep teams under 30... lol
You game plan to win the game!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Last year I started a thread on "ball control or 30 points a game". The opinions were evenly matched on the subject.

My theory was Dallas needed to open up the offense and pass more and play less ball control to help a supposed weak defense.

In 2019 that's exactly what happened. Dallas passed more and scored more, but their record didn't indicate this at 8-8. When digging deeper there's an explanation for this.

In Dallas's wins they scored 37 points a game and in their losses 17. A 20 point difference, or 3 touchdowns! That was a huge disparity.

Today I read on BTB that Dallas was 8-0 when scoring 30 points in 2019 and 0-8 when they didn't. Wow, that 30 point threshold seems very important. Last year teams that scored 30 points were 116-16 or a .879 winning percentage which would put a team at 14-2 and most likely the #1 seed and home field.

With everyone saying it was the (insert adjective) defense in the NFL that needed to be fixed. The true fact was it was the wildly inconsistent offense that was the cause of an 8-8 season.

If the offense had been consistent Dallas would have won the division, made the playoffs, and would have been contenders instead of pretenders, even with the supposed weak defense.

The most 30 point games in a year for Dallas is 10. That's 10 wins. This year with the offseason Dallas has had the 10 game 30 point threshold should be surpassed. If this offense stays consistent Dallas will be one of the favorites in the NFC, no matter the state of the defense.

30 points or bust!!!!

I thought Dak was the problem? If we have to score 30 points, doesn't that mean that the defense is the problem?

We averaged 27 points a game last year. A few DT's and, some turnovers and a few less missed FG's and we are there. Offense really doesn't have to do much of anything.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its actually the complete opposite. All the defense has to do is help out the offense just a little and we score 30 easy.

Cowboys scored 27 per game last year with virtually no help from the defense at all. Heck our special teams were one of the worst especially the FG kicker.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Funny as I was reading this I thought about how great the Dallas offense probably will be, How good the Dallas defense can be, yet there is no mention of our special teams. With the new coaching staff here I expect it to improve, how much I dont really know. What I do know is championship teams usually have really good special teams. I remember years ago how Skins coach George Allen stated it was a "third" of his game plan.