30 points a game is the key

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think they need to be able to score more td's instead of fg's, and be able to score in crunch times in 4th qtr.
The defense and ST;s need to play better as well.
I think we will see all that in this coming season, better on all 3 phases.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
This is about consistency.

The defense only had three bad games last year. Green Bay, Chicago, and Detroit three out of fifteen. The Minnesota game was a good game with no unit being responsible for loss.

The offense by your 24 point standard had 5 games they grossly underperformed. NO, NY, NE, BUF, and PHI. Three of those games the defense gave up 13, 10, and 9.

My point is about consistency from the offense. Don't be the #1 offense one week and #32 the next.

Dallas scored 434 points in 2019, 46 points short of the goal. Spread those 46 points among the 8 losses last year and Dallas would be a favorite in the NFC.

How many of those 46 points are missed field goals?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I posted this before. Last year we saw too much 44 against LA, then 9 versus Philadelphia, followed with 47 against Washington.

That was the problem with the offense, it was feast or famine.

Dallas scored 434 points last year, 46 points short of the 30ppg mark.

If the offense becomes more consistent the Dallas record will improve without any improvement to the defense. Now with defensive improvement and offensive consistency, Dallas is the team to beat.
I agree with the ups and downs being the problem. I've agreed with that all along. But that doesn't make a 30 ppg average a magic number because an average is just an average, and can still be based on inconsistent highs and lows, just like the Cowboys 27.2 ppg was. Again, the Cowboys 27.2 ppg was actually a very strong average, it was only how that average was built that was the problem.

75boyz

Reaction score
Last year I started a thread on "ball control or 30 points a game". The opinions were evenly matched on the subject.

My theory was Dallas needed to open up the offense and pass more and play less ball control to help a supposed weak defense.

In 2019 that's exactly what happened. Dallas passed more and scored more, but their record didn't indicate this at 8-8. When digging deeper there's an explanation for this.

In Dallas's wins they scored 37 points a game and in their losses 17. A 20 point difference, or 3 touchdowns! That was a huge disparity.

Today I read on BTB that Dallas was 8-0 when scoring 30 points in 2019 and 0-8 when they didn't. Wow, that 30 point threshold seems very important. Last year teams that scored 30 points were 116-16 or a .879 winning percentage which would put a team at 14-2 and most likely the #1 seed and home field.

With everyone saying it was the (insert adjective) defense in the NFL that needed to be fixed. The true fact was it was the wildly inconsistent offense that was the cause of an 8-8 season.

If the offense had been consistent Dallas would have won the division, made the playoffs, and would have been contenders instead of pretenders, even with the supposed weak defense.

The most 30 point games in a year for Dallas is 10. That's 10 wins. This year with the offseason Dallas has had the 10 game 30 point threshold should be surpassed. If this offense stays consistent Dallas will be one of the favorites in the NFC, no matter the state of the defense.

30 points or bust!!!!

Very nice post. I don't have confidence in this QB to consistently get the 30 point requirement you mentioned here but that is not to say that I dont agree with all your points and supporting evidence. Because I do. Nice job.

My expevtation on defense nowadays is be just good enough. Don't hafta be dominant. Or maybe even the exact counter to your post...
Score 30 and keep them below 30...

Sounds about right for today's NFL

Last edited:

Bocephus

Reaction score
The problem with a pass first offense is that when we scored (field goal or TD) too quickly our defense was right back on the field and winded. We needed to put together more of those 6-7 minute drives to allow the defense to rest. Last year our defense was just plain worn down.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If the only time you can win a game is when you score 30 points, you have bigger issues than your offense. This shouldn't be difficult to comprehend.