$300 ticket

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Going down through the Florida Keys, most of A1A is one lane. Very little ability to pass other vehicles.

We were about twenty minutes away from our destination at SugarLoaf Key and making good enough time, but we got on a bridge just outside of Deer Key that opened up to two lanes. I am cruising through and passing a few of the slower vehicles that were running just below speed limit, when we run upon a semi with only so much real estate remaining to pass. I ease off the gas to pull back and settle in, when my wife says, "what are you doing, pass this guy!"

Knowing that my wife has a crazy fear of being behind semis, I amp up my car to pass him and, about as predictable as the sun-rise, there sits a cop over the hill with his radar gun.

No noteable speeding the entire trip except one five second clip and I am now $300 lighter in the wallet for going 80+ in a 55 mph zone. I guess it will be more to take the class and keep the points off of my license. Ouch.

ologan

Reaction score
Joe Rod;3438871 said:
Going down through the Florida Keys, most of A1A is one lane. Very little ability to pass other vehicles.

We were about twenty minutes away from our destination at SugarLoaf Key and making good enough time, but we got on a bridge just outside of Deer Key that opened up to two lanes. I am cruising through and passing a few of the slower vehicles that were running just below speed limit, when we run upon a semi with only so much real estate remaining to pass. I ease off the gas to pull back and settle in, when my wife says, "what are you doing, pass this guy!"

Knowing that my wife has a crazy fear of being behind semis, I amp up my car to pass him and, about as predictable as the sun-rise, there sits a cop over the hill with his radar gun.

No noteable speeding the entire trip except one five second clip and I am now $300 lighter in the wallet for going 80+ in a 55 mph zone. I guess it will be more to take the class and keep the points off of my license. Ouch.

My wife does that to me,too! I tell her if I get a ticket due to her driving instructions,the money comes out of her 'quilt stash',that she will use to buy that new,very expensive Bernina quilters edition sewing machine. That normally does the trick!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCount;3438953 said:
I think there's a pretty obvious lesson to be learned here.

What is that? Patience is a virtue? Don't speed? That you need to tell the wife to shut the **** up when you're driving? :laugh2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly you wife owes you one now.

That isn't necessarily a bad position to be in. :D

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3438962 said:
Clearly you wife owes you one now.

That isn't necessarily a bad position to be in. :D

She's probably going to call it square when she finds out how much I am going to spend on a new spear gun! :D

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
I have excellent karma. Would you like to buy some? Only $ 2999.00 an ounce. :D

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3439040 said:
She's probably going to call it square when she finds out how much I am going to spend on a new spear gun! :D

Killing her is not the answer! :lmao:

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3439069 said:
I have excellent karma. Would you like to buy some? Only $ 2999.00 an ounce. :D

I've been driving for 12 years and never gotten a ticket.

Viper

Reaction score
That is steep.

I'll never go to Florida again, it cost me more in tolls than it did in gas to drive in thier state.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I got a speeding ticket down here (Arizona) from a speed camera going 75 in a 65 and it cost me $180. Back home (North Dakota) I got one going 78 in a 65 and it cost me $40...some of these states are just ridiculous in their fines.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
"I guess your wife wears the racing suit in that family, huh? "
-Logano to Harvick at Pocono 2010 after Harvick took him out.-

83424435_10_m.jpg

Eskimo

Reaction score
Jon88;3439086 said:
I've been driving for 12 years and never gotten a ticket.

That's impressive.

I had gone six years without a ticket as I rarely speed. However, they've got a ton of photo radar where I live and they got me in March at midnight in a spot they had never set a trap before.

Just like that $249 poorer.

At least there were no points involved because it was just photo radar.

hairic

Reaction score
ajk23az;3439250 said:
I got a speeding ticket down here (Arizona) from a speed camera going 75 in a 65 and it cost me $180. Back home (North Dakota) I got one going 78 in a 65 and it cost me $40...some of these states are just ridiculous in their fines.

Can't you throw those speed camera tickets away in Arizona? I thought your Supreme Court said those had to be properly served to be valid, and the USPS doesn't cut it. I'm too lazy to google at the moment to cite where applicable, but the risk:reward is heavily in your favor (like no action: gain $180 and nothing on your record vs risk losing an extra $25).

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
hairic;3439571 said:
Can't you throw those speed camera tickets away in Arizona? I thought your Supreme Court said those had to be properly served to be valid, and the USPS doesn't cut it. I'm too lazy to google at the moment to cite where applicable, but the risk:reward is heavily in your favor (like no action: gain $180 and nothing on your record vs risk losing an extra $25).
Those cameras should be outlawed everywhere. All they prove is someone was driving your car and broke the law. There is no actual proof who was driving.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dispute the ticket, hope the cop doesn't show up at the hearing and voila, you don't pay.

The last two speeding tickets I have received, I filed a dispute and not once was there even a hearing set, I guess my file got lost in the shuffle so to speak.

I dispute all my tickets, at least 3/4 of the time I don't have to pay in the end.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo;3439545 said:
That's impressive.

I had gone six years without a ticket as I rarely speed. However, they've got a ton of photo radar where I live and they got me in March at midnight in a spot they had never set a trap before.

Just like that $249 poorer.

At least there were no points involved because it was just photo radar.

When I was younger I used to have a heavy foot so I bought a radar detector and was able to avoid several tickets. I left it in a company car and don't have it anymore.

I've slowed down in the last year or so and rarely do 5 miles per hour over.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Jon88;3439703 said:
When I was younger I used to have a heavy foot so I bought a radar detector and was able to avoid several tickets. I left it in a company car and don't have it anymore.

I've slowed down in the last year or so and rarely do 5 miles per hour over.

5 over is not even speeding

We are by Kms here and I usually go at least 20 over which is 12 over, sometimes as high as 40.

Most I ever went though was 155kph in a 100zone upcountry. There was noone on the road and I looked down and went NICE

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3439677 said:
Dispute the ticket, hope the cop doesn't show up at the hearing and voila, you don't pay.

The last two speeding tickets I have received, I filed a dispute and not once was there even a hearing set, I guess my file got lost in the shuffle so to speak.

I dispute all my tickets, at least 3/4 of the time I don't have to pay in the end.

:laugh2: I'm about 14 hours or a flight away, so I will either be out the $300 or be out about $600+ with flight, hotel, etc.! I'm good, we will just go a little cheaper when we are in DC this weekend to make up the cost. It wasn't all bad, I have this to hang over her head for the rest of our lives and she isn't giving me any more grief about my trip at the end of the summer!