#32 ranked defense at the turn. Dead last

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
This defense is showing that the #32 overall ranking is an accurate depiction of where they are. Hopefully we get some healthy guys back during the bye week after we get blown up by New Orleans.

kevm3

Reaction score
The defense has a ton of players out. If not for the defense giving us a free score as well as holding the Vikings after that Romo interception at the end of the game, we'd lose.

scottsp

Reaction score
The defense is a failure, primarily due to p*ss-poor organizational planning on a number of levels. You could see this coming long before we made it to training camp. Even with all hands on-deck, this side of the ball would need lots of help. We opted not to address the defensive line, not even for purposes of depth. The front office threw a mess at Kiffin and Marinelli and said WORK A MIRACLE.

Some organizations, particularly the clubs with accomplished offensive units, go into a season knowing full well their defensive inadequacies. The staff earning its money might even go so far as to suggest the onus would be the offense to protect the weaker side of the ball.

And if you're unable to utilize your core competency, supposedly your offense, to give yourself the best possible opportunity to win, you really didn't have much to begin with.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
This defense had better get healthy in a hurry. 8-8 is not going to be a given and the Commanders are not going down without a fight.

khiladi

Reaction score
What is our rank in points allowed? Are we dead last?

khiladi

Reaction score
What is our rank in TOs generated? Are we dead last? What are we in respect to player TO, because of injuries? Are we dead last?

khiladi

Reaction score
This is already answered one page back. The turnovers are a weak silver lining when measured against the overall breadth of work.

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/32-ranked-defense-at-the-turn-dead-last.272515/page-3#post-5277494

When JG took over for Wade, we went from 4 TOs in eight games, to 24 plus with Jon Kitna as QB, with 16 TOs on his own. We still won the TO margin and scored against bad teams and they scored against us. And this is the supposed evidence of JGs coaching genius...

TOs are not a weak silver lining..

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Kiffin's defenses have been known to allow yardage, but tighten up in the red zone, as well as generate turnovers. Everyone knows there is a high correlation of better winning percentage and turnover differential. As the running game hasn't improved that much, I think the higher red zone scoring percentage is more of a result of the latter as opposed to its own generation. TOs both stop the opposing team from scoring, serve as momentum shifters, and sometimes put the offense in great field position. I also believe Romo being a little more prudent with the ball, as well as general lack of TOs on the offensive side of the ball, and penalty reduction has made the offense look better than it is as far as "production" is concerned. I don't have the stats to back it up, but my gut instinct and more than superficial knowledge tells me this is so.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
When JG took over for Wade, we went from 4 TOs in eight games, to 24 plus with Jon Kitna as QB, with 16 TOs on his own. We still won the TO margin and scored against bad teams and they scored against us. And this is the supposed evidence of JGs coaching genius...

TOs are not a weak silver lining..

Agreed. Turnovers are the number one priority. They deprive the offense of points no matter how many yards they have and give your own offense bonus possessions. The Cowboys can give up 500 yards every week, but if they're taking the ball away, the odds of winning increase dramatically.

khiladi

Reaction score
QBs are throwing on average three hundred plus a game... Yardage comes in chunks. Dallas prior to this year, was amongst the top rank offense in yards, but middle of the pack in red zone scoring and couldn't adjust to a Commanders blitz up the middle. And Jason Garrett was demoted, despite yards...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
When we started this season, the defense was the last thing I was generally worried about. I was mostly worried about the collective ability of our offense to put it all together regularly to continuously challenge opposing teams to make adjustments. With a number of returning starters, the continuous streak of recent draft hits, and a solid coordinator coming in, why worry so much about the decensive side of the ball? Boy oh boy... This defense is a train wreck. Sadly, it is that secondary that has led our defense right into the mid season cellar. The Jaguars defense at #28 is looking down at ours. The Jags??? Really?

I do have faith that our Defense will turn it around. However, with the Vikings, Saints, Giants, Raiders, Bears, Packers, Commanders, and Eagles on deck, that defense will be tested mightily. Only three of our remaining eight opponents have top 10 offenses. That should provide some level of comfort. Unfortunately, we have quite the reputation for finding a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We do that extremely well... Realistically, I see 4 wins remaining. The Vikings, Giants, Raiders, and Bears. Then again, that remaining 8 leaves plenty of questions as to whether not things will go as one might hope. Can we go 6-2 in the last 8? Suuurrreee... Can we easily also fail to take the next step psychologically and go 2-6? Yes indeed. One thing remains true. Our defense is going to have to take themselves out of the cellar in order for this team to make worthy strides.

You think the problem is our secondary?

Stopped reading.

Bizwah

Reaction score
The defense is a failure, primarily due to p*ss-poor organizational planning on a number of levels. You could see this coming long before we made it to training camp. Even with all hands on-deck, this side of the ball would need lots of help. We opted not to address the defensive line, not even for purposes of depth. The front office threw a mess at Kiffin and Marinelli and said WORK A MIRACLE.

Some organizations, particularly the clubs with accomplished offensive units, go into a season knowing full well their defensive inadequacies. The staff earning its money might even go so far as to suggest the onus would be the offense to protect the weaker side of the ball.

And if you're unable to utilize your core competency, supposedly your offense, to give yourself the best possible opportunity to win, you really didn't have much to begin with.

I don't know how you can totally trash the planning.

Of course, we should never had relied on Rat. Writing was on the wall. That's the only thing I take issue with.

Spencer was coming off a career year. How were we to know the knee would act up? Crawford gets hurt the first drill of TC. How was that poor planning? Ben Bass is lost for the season. How was that bad planning? We had solid depth. No team would be looking great had they suffered as many early season ending injuries at one position as we have. It's not like we went into camp with nothing. We had some players. We have been slammed on one position. It's amazing how one position seems to get hit each year.

Two years ago, it was Cb and safety. Last year it was LB. This year it's DL.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Turnovers are everything. The Saints won a Super Bowl having one of the worst defenses in the league but #1 in takeaways. If only this offense was elite like the Saints, this team would be scary...even with all the injuries to the defense.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Next week you will all see just how important that total offense stat is against a team that does not turn the ball over. You hang your hats on a turnover stat and I will continue to worry about why opposing offenses find it so incredibly easy to march down the field on our defense.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Turnovers are everything. The Saints won a Super Bowl having one of the worst defenses in the league but #1 in takeaways. If only this offense was elite like the Saints, this team would be scary...even with all the injuries to the defense.

With all due respect, The Saints offense is light years ahead of ours in the areas of coaching leadership, player accountability, and ability to close the deal. No comparison there.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Sadly... As long as we put up a few points and get a couple of turnovers the majority of you will be fine with a great losing effort. $%^& that.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
For example, Look at the Saints game right now. The way the Steelers are going to lose this game with their valiant effort & all, many of our fans would be ok with that type of showing next week. Not acceptable. It has been way too many years of shallow plans & preparation.