38 is the weak link on defense

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I mean, he's not Ronnie Lott, but he's far from the weakest link.
i see him make some great plays. i see him wiff a time or two also.

that can be applied to any player on this or any other team. usually. :) but for some reason there are players that just go into a fans doghouse and they will never see them in any light but a horrible player.

Reactions: G2

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
24 flat out sucks so does the other safety woods remember in training camp how we were told woods was going to play at a pro bowl level this season good times

EJK24

Reaction score
Awuzie completely blew the coverage on that play so first and foremost he is to blame however... Heath is the SAFETY and on that play he is supposed to prevent that from going the distance. If the Heath plays that properly at the minimum, Anderson catches the ball for a big gain but is tackled immediately after.

Heath, in typical fashion, took a horrible angle on the ball and it was brutal to watch.

We keep him around because supposedly he has the ability to make plays on the ball, at least that's what some think. He has come up with a few int's in the past but honestly, what does he bring to the table as a starting safety?

Hes not a great tackler because his angles are horrible and as far as playing the ball? Did we not see him get hit IN THE HEAD WITH THE BALL like 2 weeks ago?

The safety position is just like the 1Tech on our defense... way undervalued and constantly neglected. Please no more 6th round pick projects and undrafted guys. Can we please just invest a high draft pick or spend the extra money in free agency to get someone capable of making plays.

Woods hasn't exactly been lights out either as hes had a few balls right in his hands that were dropped and needless to say, those are game changers.

I need 6

Reaction score
Let's be clear. He's not all that good. But right now, he's hardly the sole problem on this defense. So it's tough for me to single him out as "the" weak link. We have quite a few weak links this year.
He has been playing with us since 2013. He is the exact same player and has been the weak link of every defense we've had since then. Period.
How many guys have played on this defense since 2013?

I need 6

Reaction score
Heath has actually been pretty good this season.

That play was ENTIRELY on Awuzie. He slipped when he bit on the route. Heath was trying to cover up for him.
No one play is entirely on one player, however, safety is the last line of defense. We need a better player as the last line of defense. Jeff Heath is and has been the weak link since 2013.

I need 6

Reaction score
Awuzie completely blew the coverage on that play so first and foremost he is to blame however... Heath is the SAFETY and on that play he is supposed to prevent that from going the distance. If the Heath plays that properly at the minimum, Anderson catches the ball for a big gain but is tackled immediately after.

Heath, in typical fashion, took a horrible angle on the ball and it was brutal to watch.

We keep him around because supposedly he has the ability to make plays on the ball, at least that's what some think. He has come up with a few int's in the past but honestly, what does he bring to the table as a starting safety?

Hes not a great tackler because his angles are horrible and as far as playing the ball? Did we not see him get hit IN THE HEAD WITH THE BALL like 2 weeks ago?

The safety position is just like the 1Tech on our defense... way undervalued and constantly neglected. Please no more 6th round pick projects and undrafted guys. Can we please just invest a high draft pick or spend the extra money in free agency to get someone capable of making plays.

Woods hasn't exactly been lights out either as hes had a few balls right in his hands that were dropped and needless to say, those are game changers.

Thank you so much for using logic. The film doesn't lie.

dfense

Reaction score
Did anyone see our captain #38 on the 90 plus yard touchdown to Robbie Anderson?
This play perfectly summarizes his tenure as our starting strong safety. In key situations our opponents know that they can attack our strong safety at any time. Anybody who continues to defend this scrub is just a joke.
No, wrong, there were 3 receivers and Darnold was targeting the slot over and over. There was no way any safety, unless he knew what was coming and ignored the slot would have gotten over there. It's the CB who got smoked on the double move. You should be looking at him. And from what I've been seeing lately, the other safety #25 has been a no show in coverage.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Did anyone see our captain #38 on the 90 plus yard touchdown to Robbie Anderson?
This play perfectly summarizes his tenure as our starting strong safety. In key situations our opponents know that they can attack our strong safety at any time. Anybody who continues to defend this scrub is just a joke.
I’ve defended Heath many a times. No longer. We have two glaring weaknesses on this D... DT and S! Guess which way we should go in the draft if we are not picking BPA?

vlad

Reaction score
Our team's failures third year lies at the feet of both lines imho.

bark

Reaction score
I personally would love to see an upgrade at the position but I think the scheme doesn’t help.
Personal wise, I think the better question is why can’t we find a place for jourdin lewis on this defense.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I said it in the off-season that if Heath was still a starter come week one it proved that the Jones’ weren’t interested in winning titles. But hey, he’s a good guy.

cern

Reaction score
the number of weak links on this team is greater than one.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Heath shaded to the side with 2 receivers. Should he have shaded to andersons side? The CB should have known he had no help since that was the coverage. The jets set this up, 2 receivers on 1 side and their deep threat on the other forcing the deep safety to move over to the side with 2 receivers and let anderson beat the 1 on 1 coverage. Heath did what he was taught based on how they lined up.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Unless heath is personally responsible for not generating any pass rush or getting gashed at the line of scrimmage on runs, then no, he is not the weak link.

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score

Joke is on you for even writing this. The cb was burnt to pieces.

cern

Reaction score
the demise of the d-backs is exacerbated by putrid d-line play. other than quinn, who is now being double teamed instead of tank, the d-line stinks.

EJK24

Reaction score
I’ve defended Heath many a times. No longer. We have two glaring weaknesses on this D... DT and S! Guess which way we should go in the draft if we are not picking BPA?

Maybe you guys feel different but it's a shame that DT and S are the two positions needing help because when last season ended, those seemed like glaring issues then as well.

So we ended last season with those issues and here we are the next season with the same problems.

Maybe Trysten Hill turns out better then we know but right now it's not looking too hot. With the defense playing the way it is, you would like to believe the second round pick would see the field to see if he can contribute.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Dude, you have lost your mind. Learn to watch film.

1) Woods walked down in the box to cover Bell. Why you ask? because the Linebackers couldn't do their job. This is the same formation that Dallas walked down on before. Guess, what. The Jets audible double 9s.
2) Jeff Heath had to shade the side of the field with double Wrs. The safety (38) also had to watch any underneath crossing route that Jaylon did not pick-up.
3) Chido knew he was on an island against a faster receiver. But wait it gets better, play-action.....then.......double move, Chido bites , the play is over at this point, remember the island.
4) the Jets throw to the side 38 is not on and toward the middle of the field down the seam
5) Idiot fans can't break down plays and just say random nonsense on the forum
6) 38 breaks to the ball, not a bad angle, just trying to clean-up after Chido craps the bed.
This is all on Chido, and the D-line for not hitting the QB.

If the D-line and LBers would do their Jobs, then Heath and Woods would not have to clean up there crap.

Jaylon should be benched, he looks like garbage. Heath has outplayed Jaylon thus far.

Last edited: