3rd and 3 and they pass?

anava

Reaction score
I agree. I thought the same thing. It's either a run play, or Dak takes off running if the pass isn't there. You don't stop the clock with an incompletion. People were making fun of the Giants when Eli did that back in 2015. The exact same thing. We came back and won.

Notice the amount of time Eli has at the start of the first play. Everything is eerily similar.

Exactly the moment I thought of. I don’t mind the call but you have to be in Dak’s ear saying if not there go down and keep clock moving. Not sure if on Dak or the coaching. Love the killer instinct and going for the kill, just have to be smarter about it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly the moment I thought of. I don’t mind the call but you have to be in Dak’s ear saying if not there go down and keep clock moving. Not sure if on Dak or the coaching. Love the killer instinct and going for the kill, just have to be smarter about it.
I think with Eli it was worse. Dude, just take a knee. He purposely threw it away. I think Dak was actually trying to hit the WR.

I don't blame Dak for this. BigMac has to know this. Dak is a competitor, he wants to win. Clearly the coach wasn't in Dak's ear.

It's the same as the crap right before the half. With 7 seconds left the DBs have to hug the WRs and take the penalty. Make Seattle choose between going for the TD or getting the FG with about 3 seconds left. I've seen other teams do this.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Yea the boys won, but let’s be clear that was one of the dumbest play calls in recent history. The only explanation was MM had boys at -9.5. How do you not run it in that spot, yes the defense got the stop but it should have never come down to that. If they lost the game he should have been fired for that play call.
I don’t think it was a bad call at all. First, Seattle had owned our defense most of the night. So Mike took a shot at ending the game while they expected the run. With a 3 point lead, he probably runs another few seconds off the clock, but a FG was practically assured from there, so the odds were high in our favor that they’d get to FG range and throw a Hail Mary at best. Since we got the ball back with a m8 Ute on the clock, time clearly wasn’t an issue. Neither call would have been wrong, imo.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I loved the decision to be aggressive in that situation, I also like the fact that he trusted Dak to make the right play; Unfortunately, Dak threw to the endzone instead of throwing a short pass or slant.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Just a horrible call, you run the football and take the clock to about a minute with them having no time outs and having to score a TD. Fortunately the D bailed him out but not good percentages football. Also did not like passing up a field goal and going for it on 4th down. If you have a chance to take the lead you take it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yea the boys won, but let’s be clear that was one of the dumbest play calls in recent history. The only explanation was MM had boys at -9.5. How do you not run it in that spot, yes the defense got the stop but it should have never come down to that. If they lost the game he should have been fired for that play call.
Because we do not have a short yardage back. Who is that on? Did MM think we were fine w/ what we have? Or did Jerry tell him that this is what you have make do?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think it was a bad call at all. First, Seattle had owned our defense most of the night. So Mike took a shot at ending the game while they expected the run. With a 3 point lead, he probably runs another few seconds off the clock, but a FG was practically assured from there, so the odds were high in our favor that they’d get to FG range and throw a Hail Mary at best. Since we got the ball back with a m8 Ute on the clock, time clearly wasn’t an issue. Neither call would have been wrong, imo.
The defense getting owned all night is what makes throwing a low percentage pass a bad call. They just gifted Seattle an extra forty seconds to potentially win the game. Should have been a run or at least an easier pass.

snadler

Reaction score
You realize that 3 yards and the game is over, at worst you take 40 more seconds off the clock. It was flat out stupid. If you don’t trust you can get 3 yards on the ground that’s a bigger problem. There is no defense to having that play call at ALL

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The defense getting owned all night is what makes throwing a low percentage pass a bad call. They just gifted Seattle an extra forty seconds to potentially win the game. Should have been a run or at least an easier pass.
The defense getting owned all night is why you try to win it right there.

If the problem is the defense, then you try to take it out of the defense's hands, not save them 40 seconds.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We screwed up in Philly should’ve beat them. That was coaching also.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The defense getting owned all night is why you try to win it right there.

If the problem is the defense, then you try to take it out of the defense's hands, not save them 40 seconds.

Cowboys didnt need a td to win though. Just three yards. Should be a higher percentage play in that spot. Not a 50-50 ball.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Cowboys didnt need a td to win though. Just three yards. Should be a higher percentage play in that spot. Not a 50-50 ball.
The priority isn't high percentage, it's avoiding risk. A 3-yard pass into tight coverage can lead to all sorts of problems. There's no risk in that play.

conner01

Reaction score
Had it worked people would have praised the aggressive call lol
I would have taken the FG on the 4th down play earlier. I would have ran the ball there but I get the decision because it ends the game. I also would have taken the penalty putting them at 2bd and 19 rather than 3td and nine. If those 3 the throw to end the game was the easiest to understand

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The priority isn't high percentage, it's avoiding risk. A 3-yard pass into tight coverage can lead to all sorts of problems. There's no risk in that play.
They could have done a rpo or read option or play action boot. There are a bunch of plays that would have been safer and had a better chance of conversion or at least keeping the clock moving. The db had a better chance of picking that pass off than Ceedee did to catch it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They could have done a rpo or read option or play action boot. There are a bunch of plays that would have been safer and had a better chance of conversion or at least keeping the clock moving. The db had a better chance of picking that pass off than Ceedee did to catch it.
Doesn't matter if he had a chance to pick it off it would have just been a touchback. RPO, playaction, etc....all these playsmisdirection all have chances of going awry with miscommunication and all sorts of things. We just saw it with Philly against Dallas and Buffalo in big moments.

There's nothing that can really go wrong on a fade route there.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he had a chance to pick it off it would have just been a touchback. RPO, playaction, etc....all these playsmisdirection all have chances of going awry with miscommunication and all sorts of things. We just saw it with Philly against Dallas and Buffalo in big moments.

There's nothing that can really go wrong on a fade route there.
That is asinine. If that gets picked off the Cowboys get no points and the Seahawks have a minute and a half to get in field goal range. Your rationale makes zero sense. If you prioritize avoiding risk then you would kneel to kill clock and kick the field goal. If you prioritize converting the first down and winning the game there are way better playcalls than a 50-50 jump ball.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
that was a huge brain fart on MM. Seattle had no timeouts. run the ball. you make it, you kneel and end the game. you don't then you run 45 seconds off the clock. kick a field goal. and then leave them less than a minute. that was stupid.

kskboys

Reaction score
A first down ends the game also. And, it was a low percentage play.

The call was wrong, very wrong.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That is asinine. If that gets picked off the Cowboys get no points and the Seahawks have a minute and a half to get in field goal range. Your rationale makes zero sense. If you prioritize avoiding risk then you would kneel to kill clock and kick the field goal. If you prioritize converting the first down and winning the game there are way better playcalls than a 50-50 jump ball.
If they fumble on an RPO it's the same thing. How many times are there tipped balls in traffic? There are no less risky playcalls that ALSO give you a chance to end the game right there.

I would have just ran it, but if you are going to throw, that's the right playcall. You're also grossly mischaracterizing the play as a "50-50 jump ball." If the CB jumps the slant it's an easy TD - which, he probably should have to defend the sticks - and it's not really 50-50 with CD against some JAG corner.

CCBoy

Reaction score
3 yard passes in a West Coast is the same as running.