3rd and 3 and they pass?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Would have been I think 49 or 50. No one questions whether he has the leg. But it isn’t a gimmie at all. I understood the call and had ceedee not dropped the ball, it would have been correct.
No, a positive result doesn't excuse a poor decision.

And Aubrey is 4-for-4 from 50+. :mad: ...I'm trusting Aubrey to get me 3 points closer.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I like aggression, but it was the wrong kind.

You run on 3rd, get to 4th and 1 and then end the game there
Or you get stopped for a loss in third down. If you could have you came and eat it too, of course you take it. But the choice is between running clock and kicking it ending the game.

I know every outcome is available no matter what you call, but peectsge wise that’s what it is. Clock it end the game. I still choose to run clock, but I understand why you try to end the game.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
My problem with fans is that every call can be questioned. The HC never makes the right call in a lot of fans mind and it's frustrating. No person on this earth ever does EVERYTHING right to some people.
No, that's not me. If Aubrey who hasn't missed all year is sent out there on 4th down to get 3 points, yet he misses, I don't then say that McCarthy made a bad decision because the FG kicker missed.

McCarthy simply doesn't make a lot of decisions that make good sense to me, even when they work out.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
idiotic. Asinine.

1. Run the ball
2. Screen play or easy pass
3. Just take the sack.
That dude gambles on the stupidest things all the freaking time. There's no calculation at all, it's like he thinks the dumbest ones are the best ones.

droopdog7

Reaction score
No, a positive result doesn't excuse a poor decision.

And Aubrey is 4-for-4 from 50+. :mad: ...I'm trusting Aubrey to get me 3 points closer.
That’s fine; you can absolutely trust the kicker. He might miss, but it’s not a terrible decision to kick. But I push back on two things here.

Yes, he might actually miss. He barely made the shorter kick later in the game. Second, I am just saying that I UNDERSTAND why you go for it. I would have gone for it too.

In no way was one decision way better than the other, and I bet the stats would have that up.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Or you get stopped for a loss in third down. If you could have you came and eat it too, of course you take it. But the choice is between running clock and kicking it ending the game.

I know every outcome is available no matter what you call, but peectsge wise that’s what it is. Clock it end the game. I still choose to run clock, but I understand why you try to end the game.
But you don't need to call a low-percentage throw to the end zone to end the game. The play call was just stupid. He's lucky the defense came through, because if Seattle scores with a few seconds on the clock, McCarthy would be catching hell for the next week for such a bad decision...because it was Brandon Staley-bad.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No, that's not me. If Aubrey who hasn't missed all year is sent out there on 4th down to get 3 points, yet he misses, I don't then say that McCarthy made a bad decision because the FG kicker missed.

McCarthy simply doesn't make a lot of decisions that make good sense to me, even when they work out.
Half the fans like it, half the fans don't. If he hands it off and we fumble, same scenario. So either way, his decisions and all coaches decisions will always be questioned.

ChrisL97

Reaction score
The real crime was kicking the FG to make a one-score game into a one-score game. You never want to do that. Take the extra chance at the first down.

When a team is down 3 at the end, they play for the FG and overtime, which only gives them a 50% chance to win. When they're down 6, they go for the win. Up 3 is better than up 6 in that situation. And passing up on the chance for a first down to go up 6 is terrible.
This is correct. Combining known tendencies with analytics. It's next level thinking that only a few coaches know about and execute.

Another big blunder was declining a holding call in the first quarter that would have made it 2nd and 19. Instead it was 3rd and 7. Didnt cost us because they missed a fg that drive, but it's simple math. 2nd and 19 means they have 2 downs to get 19 yards or 9.5 yards a down. 3rd and 7 means they have 1 down to get 7 yards or 7 yards a down.

droopdog7

Reaction score
But you don't need to call a low-percentage throw to the end zone to end the game. The play call was just stupid. He's lucky the defense came through, because if Seattle scores with a few seconds on the clock, McCarthy would be catching hell for the next week for such a bad decision...because it was Brandon Staley-bad.
I get that; called something basic to again, try to have your cake and eat it too. But you still run the risk of an incomplete if say, ceedee drops an easy pass. At the same time, your more conservative play probably has a lesser chance of getting the first down. But that would have been fine, as would have running the ball.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think so. In today’s nfl it’s easier to get into field goal range and tie than it is to go the length of the field and score a TD at the end. Going up 6 adds tremendous pressure and you saw Seattle fold at the end.
Except that's not how it works. Teams down 6 with one drive left win more often than teams down 3.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Half the fans like it, half the fans don't. If he hands it off and we fumble, same scenario. So either way, his decisions and all coaches decisions will always be questioned.
Nope, that's not what this is about. It's not about the result of the play, it's the decision.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Nope, that's not what this is about. It's not about the result of the play, it's the decision.
What I'm saying is that coaches around the league are always questioned about their decisions, especially if they lose. Go read other boards during game day thread. Fans all over the NFL always has something snarly to say about their own coach when they lose.

droopdog7

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that coaches around the league are always questioned about their decisions, especially if they lose. Go read other boards during game day thread. Fans all over the NFL always has something snarly to say about their own coach when they lose.
Hell, you don’t even have to lose. Look at this thread after a win.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Hell, you don’t even have to lose. Look at this thread after a win.
Because these same boneheaded coaching decisions are going to cost this team. They escaped tonight, in spite of some poor decisions.

But McCarthy as an OC is doing great. As a head coach in the flow of the game making decisions, some real headscratchers.

And more are coming, it's just who he is. Oh well.

But if you like all of his in-game decisions, that's fine...

droopdog7

Reaction score
Because these same boneheaded coaching decisions are going to cost this team. They escaped tonight, in spite of some poor decisions.

But McCarthy as an OC is doing great. As a head coach in the flow of the game making decisions, some real headscratchers.

And more are coming, it's just who he is. Oh well.

But if you like all of his in-game decisions, that's fine...
Except they are not really head scratchers for the most part. And I assure you that every fan base says the same thing about their coach, which should tell you something.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Risk/Reward Analysis says you go with the run. Only the fumble is a negative there. On a pass it can be picked off or incomplete stopping the clock.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
yep run the ball burn 40 kick the FG and they have less than a minute to go 75 yards to score a TD