Twitter: 3rd and 7 decision

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has had many plays to run it for nice yards. He has quit doing it as often.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was shocked Dak didn't run the ball. I literally paused the tv and pointed this out to my family. Not good football awareness by Dak. You don't throw into triple coverage you try to set up 4th and short. And there is the possibility Dak gets the 1st down if he runs.

Sydla

Reaction score
You’re kidding right?

The only reason he caught the ball was because he had to go out of bounds to get it. There was no chance to get two feet down.

I wonder if America’s Cowboy just is trolling at this point when it comes to Dak.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Wish that he would run the ball more when the option of running is there. Still doesn't change the fact that he can't win with some fans. First they say that rushing TDs shouldn't count towards his stats and now they're criticizing him for not running for the first down. I hope that he does look at film and takes this as a lesson to run for if the lane is there for him to pick up yards.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Yeah I think he can maybe get to the 7 before running OOB. But knowing this team it very likely wasn't discussed on the sidelines that it was a 4 down situation. SMH

This is the least prepared outfit sutuationally week in and week out. Just think how many wins being average in this aspect would add to total team wins. I'm thinking 2 wins

pancakeman

Reaction score
This would be easier to judge if the broadcast would show replays of the catch which they inexplicably didn’t.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I was shocked Dak didn't run the ball. I literally paused the tv and pointed this out to my family. Not good football awareness by Dak. You don't throw into triple coverage you try to set up 4th and short. And there is the possibility Dak gets the 1st down if he runs.
The corner would have had to come up and Dak likely gets the first down before contact and with Daks size he may have trucked the corner for a TD.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Yeah, I was hoping he'd tuck and run there. I didn't like the 2nd or 3rd down play calls.

It's as if they were afraid to run because they did against Minny and got crucified when it didn't work. Of course, this game was different - the running game was more effective and you're passing in elements - but I'm not surprised JG and crew couldn't recognize the difference.

It didn't have to come down to 4th and 7.

links18

Reaction score
This is poor situational awareness from someone, again. They should have treated that 3rd down as if they had two plays to pick up the first. Even three or four yards there changes the calculus on 4th down. Or at least it should have.

Creeper

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken Dak did run in a similar situation and the NE pursuit caught him after just a few yards. However, I admit from this one picture that it looks like he could beat #70 to the outside, maybe even cut back inside to get around him. Its hard to tell from a still picture. One thing to notice though, look which NE players are stuck in traffic at the LOS. Its two LBs, including Collins. No way Dak could have had the awareness of the situation like we do looking at a picture, but with those LBs stuck in traffic, there is a good chance Dak makes it. I mean, Dak can be a little elusive when DBs come up to make a tackle on him.

But I can't fault Dak that much. He is doing this in real time at full speed. Then again, if he has a flaw its that he is always looking down field to make a play when he could use his feet to do some damage, if that's really a flaw.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Jake you are right the run game was bumping and a split second can be the difference. Dak should have taken off right off the bat.

robbieruff

Reaction score
You’re kidding right?

The only reason he caught the ball was because he had to go out of bounds to get it. There was no chance to get two feet down.
You don’t think he gives himself a better shot at a catch by going up and high pointing the ball instead of catching it against his body? He may not have gotten the toe tap but it would have been much closer in my view. Jarwin didn’t use good technique on that one...gave himself no shot.

John813

Reaction score
Curious if Kitna has helped him improve his footwork but at the same time is telling him to trust his arm 10/10 times on plays like this.

Sure, he isn't the fastest, but he's also sized like a powerback.

shabazz

Reaction score
Dak...when it comes to running...is like a FB out there. He can take some punishment...but he is not fast or elusive

How fast or elusive does one have to be to get around this fat lump of lineman? God, the excuses never end. Namath could still get around Adam Butler

new-england-patriots-defensive-lineman-adam-butler-before-a-preseason-picture-id1015073458

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You don’t think he gives himself a better shot at a catch by going up and high pointing the ball instead of catching it against his body? He may not have gotten the toe tap but it would have been much closer in my view. Jarwin didn’t use good technique on that one...gave himself no shot.

Catching it against his body?

From what I remember of the play he initially one-handed it out of bounds because it was way over his head and he eventually regrouped and got possession of it out of bounds.

You have to factor in the weather too. The pass was lifted into the rain and wind which likely threw off the timing of trying to high-point it.