Drafted by Cowboys 3rd round Pick 73 Cowboys take Cooper Beebe

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Good player but he’s never played center and it’s not a simple transition.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This was my favorite pick so far. This guy will start somewhere week 1. I would have been really happy even if we took him in the 2nd. This is just a huge pick for us

Mikexike

Reaction score
Love this pick, future martin replacement. Has the smarts to play all 5 positions. Will help run offense.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although many of us were hoping for one of the two best rated centers initially, I'm very happy about this pick and his possible transition to center. Go Cowboys

quickccc

Reaction score
He also could play guard day 1 and give Guyton more development time
TJ Bass could also play OG Day one ...while we invest in Beebe at center. Day one of mini camp .

we wasted too much time investing in Conner Williams at OG, when he should have been grooming at center .

But we were too stuck stubborn on Tyler biadasz at center and impatience with Williams' early struggles at center in preseason.
and gave up on him and eventually allowing him to move on in FA.

Guyton is gonna play OT .. no matter what.

quickccc

Reaction score
LT: Tyler Guyton
LG: Tyler Smith
C: Cooper Beebe
RG: Zack Martin
RT: Terence Steele
that's how I'm seeing it too. (starting lineup)

- Should Guyton struggle mightily early on .. what are the Plan B, and other options ?

- Back to Chumba at LT ? ...Shift Tyler Smith to LT with Bass at LG ?

- Also will be interesting to see how Asim Richards development in camp per offseason strength program

Cowboyny

Reaction score
TJ Bass could also play OG Day one ...while we invest in Beebe at center. Day one of mini camp .

we wasted too much time investing in Conner Williams at OG, when he should have been grooming at center .

But we were too stuck stubborn on Tyler biadasz at center and impatience with Williams' early struggles at center in preseason.
and gave up on him and eventually allowing him to move on in FA.

Guyton is gonna play OT .. no matter what.
I much prefer the lineman that needs technical help then the ones who need to get stronger. Guyton fits that mold, like Tyler Smith did when he was drafted. Players like Conner Williams/Biaz you are always waiting for them to handle power better, but they continue to struggle. If we have either Beebe or Bass, that won't be the issue, speed might, but they will be able to compete against the huge DT's in our division far better.

fivetwos

Reaction score
So far they have at least added options and depth to the OL moving forward.

Also don’t forget that before all that long, Martins play is going to decline and his salary may not be worth carrying.

Bass and Hoffman aren’t great but aren’t stiffs either, and competition isn’t the worst thing.

Not sure how much confidence I have in Solari, or the fact that he probably won’t be here next year, but the FO is adding the right pieces given what they had to work with.

quickccc

Reaction score
I much prefer the lineman that needs technical help then the ones who need to get stronger. Guyton fits that mold, like Tyler Smith did when he was drafted. Players like Conner Williams/Biaz you are always waiting for them to handle power better, but they continue to struggle. If we have either Beebe or Bass, that won't be the issue, speed might, but they will be able to compete against the huge DT's in our division far better.
Tyler Smith was a much more physical, meaner playing, stronger anchor player than Guyton is said to be coming into the draft.
Players are gonna have their technical flaws - Smith had his share - known to be handsy and flaggy but there's no substitute
for physical traits.

The game experience will come in time, ...ditto for play strength (hopefully) ..how fast can Guyton be coached up technical wise to be
starter ready, i wonder.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tyler Smith was a much more physical, meaner playing, stronger anchor player than Guyton is said to be coming into the draft.
Players are gonna have their technical flaws - Smith had his share - known to be handsy and flaggy but there's no substitute
for physical traits.

The game experience will come in time, ...ditto for play strength (hopefully) ..how fast can Guyton be coached up technical wise to be
starter ready, i wonder.
Guyton is the far better pass protector at the same juncture, but he needs technical help and has to prove he can play on the left side where he struggles with at the Senior Bowl. He just has 1 start as a LT on the college level.

quickccc

Reaction score
Guyton is the far better pass protector at the same juncture, but he needs technical help and has to prove he can play on the left side where he struggles with at the Senior Bowl. He just has 1 start as a LT on the college level.
Yeh, Guyton primarily worked the right side in college ... his athleticism and pass skills suggests he can operate at LT.

I believe Smith was already playing LT in college. but not many projected him in first round. (heard Titans only team considering Smith
in 1st round.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeh, Guyton primarily worked the right side in college ... his athleticism and pass skills suggests he can operate at LT.

I believe Smith was already playing LT in college. but not many projected him in first round. (heard Titans only team considering Smith
in 1st round.
Didn't like Guyton prior to the draft, he has a long way to go in his development and heard he was somewhat immature and not a hard worker. He played great against Verse one of the best pass rushers in the class, but struggled against weaker competition, doesn't always show up.

I believe this front office has earned the benefit of the doubt drafting 1st rd lineman. My hope is that Guyton is surrounded by a bunch of hard workers that he follows suit, as he has pro bowl potential at the Left Tackle position.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's never played center, Cowboys have not said he will for them.

I think he will be, but he's not at this time. We'll see...
This is why I asked about the chances of him being ready day-one ..........rubber stamped or having to beat out Hoffman

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Here's a thought - Smith to LT, Beebe at LG, Guyton to RT. Martin a RG a given, of course. Hoffman to C.

Probably not, but hey! It's the off season! Go crazy!!! :grin: