Drafted by Cowboys 3rd Round - Pick 88 - WR Jalen Tolbert (South Alabama)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't know how much Jalen Tolbert will contribute this year, but we need a capable (at the minimum) receiver opposite Cee Dee. Gallup may be out until mid-season, and I don't know if J. Washington can man the position by himself.
We need to sign a capable receiver in free agency or hope Tolbert can make a quantum leap in his rookie year.

kevm3

Reaction score
People aren't complaining about this pick because it was solid value for where he was taken whereas the other two are questionable and typical 'cowboys picks'. We might lose Bossman Phat due to off the field concerns, make Tristen Hill sign a work ethic contract and get little from that, and we waited half a decade to get Randy Gregory on the field, but now he's playing for another team and we draft yet another guy with off the field issues?

1st rounder we take a 'high traits' project when more sure guys were ahead of him? Sounds like the justification for Taco over TJ Watt. "Well Taco fits are scheme better and Marinelli really likes him."

This offseason shows you just how bad the front office is. The titans get a first and a third so a team can rent AJ Brown for a year. All we can get is a 5th rounder.

Just by how we drafted, you can tell this was a needs based draft because they picked players at positions that became depleted once the FO let all the talent go. Tyler Smith was brought in to bolster the line after the departure of La'el Collins and Connor Williams. Tolbert is here to bolster the WR core after the departure of Cooper and Wilson. Williams is here after the departure of Gregory.

Our best drafts seem to be when we take BPA and not draft for immediate need and this largely seems like a needs based draft. Think about us taking CeeDee. We would have taken one of those corners, but thank God, teams ahead of us picked them up so we were left to pick up the best defender on the board in Parsons, who we could have lost due to a trade back.

The problem is that our FO was the one who created the needs and now we are expecting to replace those positions that were held by NFL vets by rookies and expecting the team to get better? It might work if you have elite talent like a Parsons, but normally, it doesn't work that way.

Flamma

Reaction score
I expect him to be more comfortable running this season. A lot of us have taken for granted the fact he was coming off a major injury. His regression also coincided with the injury on the last beautiful play of the Pats game.

My hope is he's healed up, mentally as well, and we are at least formidable enough to run on a cover 2. Those couple things fall into place and I think we get good Dak.

Dak is a pocket passer, always has been. Besides designed run plays, he's not quick to take off up field. Even when flushed out of the pocket he's still looking up field before taking off. Thank God for that. As much as I criticize him, at least he's not one of these first read/run QBs everyone seems to love.

kevm3

Reaction score
I like what I see from him in highlight footage I'm watching. he has speed and has made some tough catches. I just hope he isn't a drop machine though, because that was the huge thing about Wilson... he was arguably the most surehanded receiver on the team.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak is a pocket passer, always has been. Besides designed run plays, he's not quick to take off up field. Even when flushed out of the pocket he's still looking up field before taking off. Thank God for that. As much as I criticize him, at least he's not one of these first read/run QBs everyone seems to love.

I know that, but he used to run when the running was good. He stopped that a couple years ago and even more so last season. I think he is more apt to run this year. That doesn't mean he's not a pocket passer, but plays break down and he needs to take advantage sometimes.

Flamma

Reaction score
I know that, but he used to run when the running was good. He stopped that a couple years ago and even more so last season. I think he is more apt to run this year. That doesn't mean he's not a pocket passer, but plays break down and he needs to take advantage sometimes.

When I think about it, you're probably right. I was just thinking on average. But I do recall him taking off downfield for these long runs, similar to the one that got him hurt. He has stopped doing that.

Reactions: CWR

ESisback

Reaction score

Or he goes through 2 or 3 quick reads, sees some real estate open up and takes advantage. I wanna see Moore call a less predictable game. Up tempo, pre-snap movement, roll outs, play action, multiple backs, etc.—keep defenses guessing.

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No thread yet? Haven't seen a single person dislike this pick. Good value and fills a need.

I'm unthrilled. I guess an ok player, but just barely under 4.5. With Cooper gone, we've got no speed at WR, and didn't do anything to change that. We'll be looking at press man until Dak and the WRs prove they can beat it. And they haven't been good at that w/o Cooper.

ESisback

Reaction score
There are still people who hang on every word this front office spews. Hopefully when Gallup shows up in week 6 or 7 there will be a wave of people that will cross over to the side of truth.

It is mind boggling that a front office that has evidence of Dak struggling without a #1 WR...would get rid of ours without a REAL plan. They are HOPING Cee Dee is a #1. They are HOPING Gallup is a #2 all the while KNOWING he is going to miss 6 - 8 weeks.

The arrogance of the Cowboys ASSUMING they could get by with WR by committee is born out of a mindset that the gap between us and the rest of the NFCE will remain the same. Well Philly has walked us down. The Giants have closed the gap. And the Commanders have closed the gap by upgrading at QB.

Like I have always maintained, there are ZERO repercussions for losing in Dallas. They just took a 12 - 5 team and downgraded the roster! Who does that?????????!!!!!!!!!!!! Get rid of whomever you want....but replace them with equal or greater talent...because the results from last year suggest that last years talent was not good enough!!!!!!!! So you respond by getting worse?!
I’m not convinced we’re “worse”.

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm unthrilled. I guess an ok player, but just barely under 4.5. With Cooper gone, we've got no speed at WR, and didn't do anything to change that. We'll be looking at press man until Dak and the WRs prove they can beat it. And they haven't been good at that w/o Cooper.

Coop was our “blinding speed” guy?

conner01

Reaction score
Lamb is the real reason why Cooper is gone. The Cowboys want to know if he is a one or not.
I think cooper had some attitude issues as well as a big salary. I liked coop but he’s now on his 3rd team and it’s not for a lack of talent
Lamb is gonna be the center of attention from defenses
Getting the run game going will be huge this year
But with the number of quality WR coming out and the cost of retaining them, then my approach would be drafting one or two every single year. Not necessarily using a first but maybe a top 3 round pick fairly regularly and lower picks yearly

CWR

Reaction score
When I think about it, you're probably right. I was just thinking on average. But I do recall him taking off downfield for these long runs, similar to the one that got him hurt. He has stopped doing that.

There's definitely an art to it, because we don't want him taking unnecessary risks. There is a time and place for Dak running though. He's got to be smart and have a strong sense of when to go down. Also if you're up 3tds in the fourth or whatever, probably best to throw it away most the time.

I might not be realistic expecting him to make those decisions in an instant.

ESisback

Reaction score
There it is!

Ekspozed

Reaction score
well im sure now you will get the reach accusations LOL

He reminds me of Gallup which we got in the third..hes got the same measurables and skillset. Honestly never heard of him or Gallup but if hes turns into Gallup the nfl player, im all on board.
He's exactly like Gallup. Which is why ql
Cooper no longer has the tools to be a #1 WR. He is clearly no longer the guy we traded for in 2019 who was the best route runner in the NFL and could take the lid off defenses.
You think Tolbert 4.5 will be taking the lid off of defenses ?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This guy will be productive

true. They’re just kinda replacing good players with promising players at the same positions.
Are we supposed to get jazzed up? We were told to wait on Randy Gregory and we waited and waited and he finally turned into a playmaker and then he’s out and he clowns us on the way out.

All these other teams look like innovators and we’re just old jerry and Stephen keeping this 8-8( 9-8 now that it’s 17 games) type roster going,

the rams went to the super bowl with Jared Goff? They then identified that they could upgrade, seize the moment, appreciate the short windows of their elite players careers, and they’ll have those super bowl rings for their whole lives

I think a lot of this is that we know we’ve seen the best of dak Prescott, he isn’t getting any better and opposing teams have zero fear of his game.
Amari cooper might not have been exciting or flashy but by all accounts he was incredible at getting open.

so we downgrade at wr, tight end, out rb is a year older, our line is a year older, and we lost depth everywhere.

fans aren’t ungrateful. If they went and traded for like Matt Ryan and made the numbers work I bet a lot of people would’ve been like ok he’s old but dang they’re going for something here. Instead what’s gonna happen is we’re gonna go 9-8 make a lil noise watch tyron smith retire Zach Martin get older demarvus Lawrence get older and than trevon diggs ask for a trade out of here bc he’s Underpaid.

just not a look to sink your teeth into as a fan.

As time goes by the star is losing its shine and players aren’t gonna worship the water On walks on anymore. It’s a new era and it looks the sport is passing our franchise by.

The fan base has been uninspired ever since the loss to San Francisco in the playoffs. We’ve been losing good players and have done little in free agency to excite anyone. Even leading up to the draft the excitement level on the board has been lower than I’ve ever seen since I’ve been posting here. There’s been a blah attitude here ever since the start of the first round on Thursday. There isn’t any splash players in this draft which hasn’t helped excite anyone. Most Cowboys fans seem to be braced for a disappointing 2022 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.