$4.00 a gallon gas vs $4.00 a gallon milk

DFWJC

Reaction score
Milk
$4 gas is cheap compared to many other countries

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I've pretty much just gotten used to the gas prices. It's been that way for years now. Of course the recession dropped prices for a little while, but $3-4 is just normal now. I don't do the grocery shopping and pretty much never have, so I have no idea if $4 for milk is a lot.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
$4.00 gas. I don't drink milk, it's bad for your health.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a price ceiling on milk, so it can't get too high.
I think it's about time we have one for gas....quantity is not the problem, speculation is.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3916965 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a price ceiling on milk, so it can't get too high.
I think it's about time we have one for gas....quantity is not the problem, speculation is.

Then it must be pretty high, because organic half gallon is $3.69.

notherbob

Reaction score
We pay $6.00/gallon for our milk and drive 70 miles to get it (140 miles round trip) but it is not ordinary milk, it is whole raw unpastuerized milk from pasture fed Jersey cows. We also buy their cheeses at $12/lb. We also make our own butter from the milk's fat and whipped cream for holiday feasts.

Our Herefords and Angus crosses just do not deliver the same high quality milk so we will soon buy own our own Jersey cow and will not have to make the drive every couple of weeks.

We still do not have our own oil well; however, so the gas price is more of a problem for us even though we get over 40 MPG from our little Toyota.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
vta;3917029 said:

I think it's controlled by each state.....$4.35 is the average ceiling, I think. Double check me on this though, I could be wrong.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
notherbob;3917036 said:
We pay $6.00/gallon for our milk and drive 70 miles to get it (140 miles round trip) but it is not ordinary milk, it is whole raw unpastuerized milk from pasture fed Jersey cows.

No disrespect, just a question from my own ignorance, because I don't know the answer.

What do you expect to gain from this milk, over say, a gallon from Krogers, SAMS, WalMart, the corner grocery, or where ever?

Add the cost of gas for the 140 mile trip and that is expensive milk.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
4$ a Gallon for milk. Lolz

Some of you apparently Don't have Aldi's near you.

1.99/Gallon of milk thanks.

I think they limit you to 2 or 3 per visit now though cause some people were loading up their carts with Milk.

notherbob

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3917223 said:
No disrespect, just a question from my own ignorance, because I don't know the answer.

What do you expect to gain from this milk, over say, a gallon from Krogers, SAMS, WalMart, the corner grocery, or where ever?

Add the cost of gas for the 140 mile trip and that is expensive milk.

That's a fair question.

The answer lies in the differences in the milk as well as the methodology.

The raw unpasturized milk we get comes from healthy Jersey cows (richer, creamier milk) that are organically raised on real grass pastures and free from bovine growth hormones, antibiotics and the harmful effects of crowding. These cattle live productive lives for 8-12 years and reproduce.

Modern dairies are confinement operations using mostly Holsteins (greater milk capacity but thinner milk than Jersey) that live their whole lives inside a building standing shoulder to shoulder with other cows, knee deep in manure. The harmful effects of living confined inside a building in crowded conditions and fed a diet of grains only, with no real grass in their diet results in diseases, including mastitis, which is endemic in confined herds and they die in only a couple of years. They basically wear them out and throw them out.

I sometimes think that part of the reasons younger people these days are so much fatter than when I was young is that the meat they eat is laced with growth hormones as is the milk they drink. Then they drink a lot of cold drinks that contain a lot of high fructrose corn syrup. It's a perfect recipe for obesity.

Unpastuerized milk from healthy animals is better for one than pastuerized milk from unhealthy animals. That's the bottom line.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
vta;3917029 said:

I buy the basic stuff and pay less than that for a whole gallon.

Organic usually means paying more than you have to.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Milk for sure b/c Gas is a basic necessity for most americans, whereas Milk has been shown to pretty much have no benefit for you after your early teens start.

You can go forever taking vitamins and not drink milk and be fine, but you need gas.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
notherbob;3917451 said:
That's a fair question.

Unpastuerized milk from healthy animals is better for one than pastuerized milk from unhealthy animals. That's the bottom line.

That's a good reason, .. is everything that you bring into your house to consume thought out this much as well?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Muhast;3917461 said:
You can go forever taking vitamins and not drink milk and be fine,

Then what would I do with all of those Oreos ??

And ceral, and bananas, and Girl Scout cookies, and my wife's homemade chocolate chip cookies, .. etc. :laugh2:

As you can tell I love milk, and drink a lot of it.

Strawberry, chocolate, 1%, 2%, whole milk, skimmed milk, .. makes no difference.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
well I remember when you could fill your car up on a empty tank for 5 dollars

that same year buy a case of beer for 4 dollars

never have been a milk drinker

in fact when I was a baby -the only milk I could handle was goats milk

maybe that why I can eat anything - nothing bothers me - got cast Iron stomach

and I have no idea where my parents got it

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3917491 said:
well I remember when you could fill your car up on a empty tank for 5 dollars

that same year buy a case of beer for 4 dollars

never have been a milk drinker

in fact when I was a baby -the only milk I could handle was goats milk

maybe that why I can eat anything - nothing bothers me - got cast Iron stomach

and I have no idea where my parents got it

Could explain why your dog's name was Goat and you had no lawnmower.