$4.00 a gallon gas vs $4.00 a gallon milk

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Milk would be more ridiculous. I drink a gallon of milk and orange juice every week by myself.

Like some others have said, $4 gas is pretty cheap compared to other countries.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
notherbob;3917451 said:
That's a fair question.

The answer lies in the differences in the milk as well as the methodology.

The raw unpasturized milk we get comes from healthy Jersey cows (richer, creamier milk) that are organically raised on real grass pastures and free from bovine growth hormones, antibiotics and the harmful effects of crowding. These cattle live productive lives for 8-12 years and reproduce.

Modern dairies are confinement operations using mostly Holsteins (greater milk capacity but thinner milk than Jersey) that live their whole lives inside a building standing shoulder to shoulder with other cows, knee deep in manure. The harmful effects of living confined inside a building in crowded conditions and fed a diet of grains only, with no real grass in their diet results in diseases, including mastitis, which is endemic in confined herds and they die in only a couple of years. They basically wear them out and throw them out.

I sometimes think that part of the reasons younger people these days are so much fatter than when I was young is that the meat they eat is laced with growth hormones as is the milk they drink. Then they drink a lot of cold drinks that contain a lot of high fructrose corn syrup. It's a perfect recipe for obesity.

Unpastuerized milk from healthy animals is better for one than pastuerized milk from unhealthy animals. That's the bottom line.

That's cool that you do that.

Dairy products in this country are poison. Are meat is a disgrace too.

Our FDA is a joke.

I drink Braums milk because they don't give their cattle hormones and crap.

notherbob

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3917486 said:
That's a good reason, .. is everything that you bring into your house to consume thought out this much as well?

Yes, we live on a cattle ranch and raise or grow most of our own food. My wife is very knowledgeable about food and nutrition and most of the food from supermarkets is not really good for you but is so heavily laced with salt or high fructrose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils that these foods lead to debilitating diseases.

Want a sure-fire investment program? Buy food stocks and also medical care stocks, it's a combination that will allow you to retire early. Of course if you eat the food you may need the medical care. There's more to growing your own food than economics.

notherbob

Reaction score
CATCH17;3917669 said:
That's cool that you do that.

Dairy products in this country are poison. Are meat is a disgrace too.

Our FDA is a joke.

I drink Braums milk because they don't give their cattle hormones and crap.

Unfortunately, you are exactly right, the FDA is run by big business, mostly big pharma, to support their agenda and the UDSA is run by the petrochemical business to do their bidding. You and I have no voice as all the politicians are being paid off to make sure things stay that way.

Want a sure-fire investment program? Buy food stocks and also medical care stocks, it's a combination that will allow you to retire early. Of course if you eat the food you may need the medical care. There's more to growing your own food than economics, it's vital to people's health.

People can no longer rely on the government to look out for their best interest as it no longer works that way. People must educate themselves and act in their own best interest.

Buy food from your local farmers markets and learn what real food tastes like. When you see a big pile of peaches, for example, in a supermarket, you should be able to smell them the minute you walk in the door; the fact that you can't tells you all you need to know about that alleged food. Real food is picked when vine or tree ripened, not picked green and ripened in gas chambers weeks or months later.

Once you try really fresh food, like a vine-ripened tomato or a tree-ripened peach, you won't want to go back to the cardboard-like crap in the stores.

Put yourself first, grow real food in your own garden.

Good luck to you.

Temo

Reaction score
notherbob;3917036 said:
We pay $6.00/gallon for our milk and drive 70 miles to get it (140 miles round trip) but it is not ordinary milk, it is whole raw unpastuerized milk from pasture fed Jersey cows. We also buy their cheeses at $12/lb. We also make our own butter from the milk's fat and whipped cream for holiday feasts.

Our Herefords and Angus crosses just do not deliver the same high quality milk so we will soon buy own our own Jersey cow and will not have to make the drive every couple of weeks.

That is awesome.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Not sure where all the paranoia over milk is coming from, but here's some facts for you guys....

According to the National Dairy Council, milk is filled with nine essential nutrients that benefit our health:

• Calcium: Builds healthy bones and teeth; maintains bone mass
  • Protein: Serves as a source of energy; builds/repairs muscle tissue
  • Potassium: Helps maintain a healthy blood pressure
  • Phosphorus: Helps strengthen bones and generate energy
  • Vitamin D: Helps maintain bones
  • Vitamin B12: Maintains healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue
  • Vitamin A: Maintains the immune system; helps maintain normal vision and skin
  • Riboflavin (B2): Converts food into energy
  • Niacin: Metabolizes sugars and fatty acids
In other words, milk packs quite a punch when it comes to nutrition—and you don't have to drink a gallon to reap the benefits, the National Dairy Council says. In fact, the council says that just one 8-ounce glass of milk provides the same amount of vitamin D you'd get from 3.5 ounces of cooked salmon, as much calcium as 2 1/4 cups of broccoli, as much potassium as a small banana, as much vitamin A as two baby carrots and as much phosphorus as a cup of kidney beans!

Read more here: http://www.oprah.com/food/The-Health-Benefits-of-Milk

And for the food paranoid......looks like the US is doing OK in feeding its people....we have the 2nd highest average lifespan on the planet.

English: Life Expectancy at birth (years)
over 80
77.5-80
75-77.5
72.5-75
70-72.5
67.5-70
65-67.5
60-65
55-60
50-55
45-50
40-45
under 40
not available

Life expectancy at birth (years) world map including:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3918167 said:
Not sure where all the paranoia over milk is coming from, but here's some facts for you guys....

According to the National Dairy Council, milk is filled with nine essential nutrients that benefit our health:

• Calcium: Builds healthy bones and teeth; maintains bone mass
  • Protein: Serves as a source of energy; builds/repairs muscle tissue
  • Potassium: Helps maintain a healthy blood pressure
  • Phosphorus: Helps strengthen bones and generate energy
  • Vitamin D: Helps maintain bones
  • Vitamin B12: Maintains healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue
  • Vitamin A: Maintains the immune system; helps maintain normal vision and skin
  • Riboflavin (B2): Converts food into energy
  • Niacin: Metabolizes sugars and fatty acids
In other words, milk packs quite a punch when it comes to nutrition—and you don't have to drink a gallon to reap the benefits, the National Dairy Council says. In fact, the council says that just one 8-ounce glass of milk provides the same amount of vitamin D you'd get from 3.5 ounces of cooked salmon, as much calcium as 2 1/4 cups of broccoli, as much potassium as a small banana, as much vitamin A as two baby carrots and as much phosphorus as a cup of kidney beans!

Read more here: http://www.oprah.com/food/The-Health-Benefits-of-Milk

And for the food paranoid......looks like the US is doing OK in feeding its people....we have the 2nd highest average lifespan on the planet.

English: Life Expectancy at birth (years)
over 80
77.5-80
75-77.5
72.5-75
70-72.5
67.5-70
65-67.5
60-65
55-60
50-55
45-50
40-45
under 40
not available

Life expectancy at birth (years) world map including:

It's not about Milk not being healthy.

It's about the hormones they give these animals and how they treat them before they hit the market.

Who wants to eat caged chickens filled with hormones and not fed properly that can never run around or move their legs while just crapping on each other day in and day out.

I think a lot of people don't know where the food is coming from. Thats why if you can find organic anything spend the couple extra bucks.

Farmers Markets are awesome too.

notherbob

Reaction score
CATCH17;3918175 said:
It's not about Milk not being healthy.

It's about the hormones they give these animals and how they treat them before they hit the market.

Who wants to eat caged chickens filled with hormones and not fed properly that can never run around or move their legs while just crapping on each other day in and day out.

I think a lot of people don't know where the food is coming from. Thats why if you can find organic anything spend the couple extra bucks.

Farmers Markets are awesome too.

You are right but it's not just about hormones, mastitis and antibiotics, there are more problems.

It is also about flies, worms and other parasites that intensify as problems in crowded confinement operations. Operators use heavy doses of pesticides that are poured down the backs of cattle. These pesticides are endocrine disruptors that are systemic and become part of the cow; that is, part of the meat, part of the milk, etc. Organic producers never use these toxic substances on their cows but then, organic cattle are all pastured not locked in buildings or concentrated feed lots. You cannot believe the unhealthy stench around these places. When dairy cows die, usually after a couple years service, they are usually too polluted to be processed for human consumption and so are processed for pet food.

People need to find out more about their food and where it comes from and how it is processed. Of course, most people really don't want to know.

Temo

Reaction score
CowboyDan;3918167 said:

I drink milk everyday. I enjoy it. But I do pay extra for organic and sometimes for local.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
notherbob;3918236 said:
You are right but it's not just about hormones, mastitis and antibiotics, there are more problems.

It is also about flies, worms and other parasites that intensify as problems in crowded confinement operations. Operators use heavy doses of pesticides that are poured down the backs of cattle. These pesticides are endocrine disruptors that are systemic and become part of the cow; that is, part of the meat, part of the milk, etc. Organic producers never use these toxic substances on their cows but then, organic cattle are all pastured not locked in buildings or concentrated feed lots. You cannot believe the unhealthy stench around these places. When dairy cows die, usually after a couple years service, they are usually too polluted to be processed for human consumption and so are processed for pet food.

People need to find out more about their food and where it comes from and how it is processed. Of course, most people really don't want to know.

A lot of this sounds like sales pitch stuff.

The hormones given to cows are regulated. Some are naturally occurring hormones.

Pretty sure one of those hormones is actually given to pregnant women to prevent premature birth.

As far as the pesticides, I'm actually curious as to which ones have an effect on the endocrine system.

I've also heard mixed information on exactly which animals are able to receive hormones.

No steroid hormones are approved for growth purposes in dairy cattle, veal calves, pigs, or poultry. All of the steroid hormone growth-promoting drugs are available for over-the-counter purchase in the U.S. and are generally given by the livestock producer at specific stages of the animals’ growth.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ProductSafetyInformation/ucm055436.htm

notherbob

Reaction score
Hoofbite -

There's a lot of disagreement on these things.

A few years ago there was a big flap in Texas about an organic dairy around Waco that advertised that its milk contained no Bovine Growth Hormone and the TDA tried to stop them from advertising it because it made it sound like BGH in milk was a bad thing.

People are porking up big time these days like never before and I suspect the excess BGH in their hamburger meat and milk are partly responsible, along with high fructrose corn syrup now present in so many foods and drinks. It is no wonder to me that diabetes and other debilitating diseases are also on the rise. It seems to me that these trends started a little after farmers started putting extra hormones in all kinds of animals and since prepared foods became such a dominant part of the American diet. Our food is slowly making us sick and killing us.

Click here to read about organophosphate pesticides and their effects on people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organophosphate

People should invest in big oil, big ag, big food and big pharma so that by the time they get sick, they will be wealthy from the sufferings of others. It's a sure fire recipe for wealth but if one wants to be healthy, better eat organic and exercise and lay off the products of the companies whose stock one owns.

If you would take some time to learn where the food you buy comes from, how it is produced and handled and processed, you might find yourself begining to look for some other more conscientious sources of food or even grow or raise some of your own, that way you know for certain what's in it.

Good luck to you.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Huh, to me it seems like people in general are shrinking, not getting bigger. Fatter maybe in the U.S. but there are many reasons for that, exercise, or the lack of it, and over eating being the main cause...but people seem to be getting shorter all the time.

jimmy40

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3919370 said:
Huh, to me it seems like people in general are shrinking, not getting bigger. Fatter maybe in the U.S. but there are many reasons for that, exercise, or the lack of it, and over eating being the main cause...but people seem to be getting shorter all the time.
seems to me like people are getting taller and taller

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Both are way too high but high price of gas affects the cost of every product.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
VietCowboy;3919677 said:
milk

I can ride my bike / walk

Cost of milk will not cause other products to go up in price, fule cost will as it becomes more costly to ship products and that higher cost will be passed down to all.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3919656 said:
Both are way too high but high price of gas affects the cost of every product.

Doomsday101;3919684 said:
Cost of milk will not cause other products to go up in price, fule cost will as it becomes more costly to ship products and that higher cost will be passed down to all.

True....throw corn into the mix too. It's in so many foods that it has a huge impact on food prices....or so I've been told.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
notherbob;3919000 said:
Hoofbite -

There's a lot of disagreement on these things.

A few years ago there was a big flap in Texas about an organic dairy around Waco that advertised that its milk contained no Bovine Growth Hormone and the TDA tried to stop them from advertising it because it made it sound like BGH in milk was a bad thing.

People are porking up big time these days like never before and I suspect the excess BGH in their hamburger meat and milk are partly responsible, along with high fructrose corn syrup now present in so many foods and drinks. It is no wonder to me that diabetes and other debilitating diseases are also on the rise. It seems to me that these trends started a little after farmers started putting extra hormones in all kinds of animals and since prepared foods became such a dominant part of the American diet. Our food is slowly making us sick and killing us.

Click here to read about organophosphate pesticides and their effects on people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organophosphate

People should invest in big oil, big ag, big food and big pharma so that by the time they get sick, they will be wealthy from the sufferings of others. It's a sure fire recipe for wealth but if one wants to be healthy, better eat organic and exercise and lay off the products of the companies whose stock one owns.

If you would take some time to learn where the food you buy comes from, how it is produced and handled and processed, you might find yourself begining to look for some other more conscientious sources of food or even grow or raise some of your own, that way you know for certain what's in it.

Good luck to you.

I agree with not wanting to know where my food is coming from. It's not a pretty process if you're a meat-eater like me. There's no getting around it. You have a valid point on this though. Do you think it's a product of having a 300 million + person society to feed? or is it just a product of profit and greed?

I disagree with you on the reasons why people are getting fatter...and we are getting fatter as a nation. I don't see it as some big corporate conspiracy, designed to make you fat and sick and then take your money at the hospital too. It's the lack of exercise, and frankly, work ethic. We have become a lazy society, as a whole, and it is reflected in our overall fitness. Most kids don't play outside all day anymore. Most people don't spend their weekends working on their house, yard or car anymore. I love technology and advancements.....I think they are intended to free up our time to be more productive or social. However, they seem to have the opposite effect on most members of society.